Registry and Gift Forum
Options

How to spread the word about a registry?

What is the proper way to tell people about a wedding registry? I've never been to a wedding that had one so I have no clue how to go about this.

Re: How to spread the word about a registry?

• Options
    Never never include any direct reference to the registry in the WEDDING invitation. It's not necessarily proper etiquette, but depending on your social circle, it's much more acceptable for shower hostesses to include a separate insert with registry info in the SHOWER invite (if there is a shower). Consider the guests and whether your friends/family are big sticklers for etiquette.
  • Options
    The only problem is we don't have a wedding party. No bridesmaids, groomsmen, nothing. I'm not even having someone walk me down the aisle. Another thing is my mom is not really involved in the wedding, like at all. She's invited, but that's it. She doesn't even know the people coming, and his parents live clear across the country. Any other ideas?
  • Options
    you are still quite a ways out- 9 months. will you be having a shower? did you send out save the date cards with a wedding website? if not, I recommend doing so and adding registry information there. its not your job to stress about guests bringing you gifts. If they don't know where to look, they will find you. where are you registered?
  • Options
    We don't have a wedding party either.  My family isn't really involved, but FI's family is really into the gifts.  We registered as soon as we got engaged bc his grandmother asked us to bc she wanted to give us an engagement gift and didn't know what to get.  We just put it on our wedding website.  In our invitations we have a card with travel information that directs guests to the website, so if people want the information, they can find it. 
    Yay! Finally able to update my signature :)
    by Shannon Sorensen Photography
    My hubby & I rock the frock.
    Bio
  • Options
    My bff had a card that bed, bath and beyond provided for them to put in their invitations.  It wasn't tacky or offensive at all, even though I've never seen that before.  I would make a wedding site, if you don't already have one, and include a link to it on a separate card in your invites.  (not on the actual invite).  Include a section about where you're registered on the site, and a link to the site of wherever you register, and you'll be golden.
  • Options
    My bff had a card that bed, bath and beyond provided for them to put in their invitations. It wasn't tacky or offensive at all, even though I've never seen that before. Any mention of the registry or gifts in the wedding invitation, even on an insert, is rude.OP, even without family and a WP, people will ask you if they want to know, or they will find it themselves.  For the last 5 weddings I went to, the couple was registered at BB&B.  I just went to their website and looked.  If I weren't computer savvy, I would have stopped by the store and asked.  People will figure it out if they want to know.
  • Options
    REgistries aren't rocket science, they aren't a mystery. Most of your guests will assume you have one. They will either check out the big stores on their own (Crate & Barrell, Macy's, etc), or they will ask you. Seriously - it's not a big deal.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    "My bff had a card that bed, bath and beyond provided for them to put in their invitations. It wasn't tacky or offensive at all." Uh, yeah that is tacky actually. How is that different than listing it on the invite itself. I got those cards when we registered and I promptly threw them in the garbage.
  • Options
    Oh those cards are awful! They should go directly into the trash! I totally agree with pp's that if anything it should be handwritten on a shower invite. Registry info should NEVER be directly stated on anything coming from you or your FI- STD's, wedding invites, TY notes, etc. etc.  Technically that includes your website too, but I think in reality 99% of brides have their registry info discreetly on their website (we did too!) If people want to get you a gift off registry, they will look online, ask you or someone else, or look at your website.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards