Registry and Gift Forum
Options

When to cash checks?

I have a family member that is not able to attend my shower in two weeks, but sent a monetary gift that I received today. Should I cash the check now or after the shower? I will be sending my thank you tomorrow.

Re: When to cash checks?

• Options
    I would personally cash checks as you get them. But, like you said, make sure to send the thank you right away as well. You don't have to wait. I know that I prefer to not have outstanding checks lying around. Furthermore, it gives you less chance to misplace them. I've heard stories about people losing checks.
  • Options
    This is just me, but I write the thank you note as soon as I get it in the mail and sent the thank you the next day. Then I wait until I think the note has been received before cashing it, just in case it clears same day. I don't know I would hate for someone to see a check clear prior to receiving a thank you from me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you everyone. I think I am going to go with becs suggestion and wait until Monday to deposit the check (I wasnt able to get to the ATM today anyway) so it doesn't clear before they receive their thank you.I appreciate your help!
  • Options
    When I write a cheque, I want it cashed asap. I would also want to know that you received it, so it wouldn't bother me if I saw that it cleared before I got a thank you. If I got the thank you within a week of the cheque clearing I would be happy. I vote, cash and send ty asap.
  • Options
    I agree with the ty note thing, but I have a problem. Wedding is one month away and I got a LARGE check from someone. I really want to use my "mr. and Mrs." thank you notes, but can't until after the wedding.  Plus I want to say, "thank you for sharing in our day" if the person comes.  Any advice?
  • Options
    You could write two thank you notes to the large check writer, one now to let him/her/them know you got the check. Then one after the wedding using your Mr&Mrs cards to thank them for attending. Two thank you notes couldn't hurt, especially with a large check.
  • Options
    For the original question, cash the check now, maybe purchase something you really want and let them know what you bought or what you will use it toward and send the thank you quickly.  As someone who gives checks, it's nice (butnot necessary) to know what the money is used to purchase.For the second question:I think two thank you notes for the large check is a great idea.  It shows genuine appreciation and gives you a chance to use your special cards.
  • Options
    send the thank you right away but i'd wait until after the shower to cash the check.
  • Options
    I would go ahead and cash the check and send the thank you.  However, if the check is made out to "Mr. and Mrs. ______" you might have to wait until any legal name changes take place.  The checks from my bridal shower were in my maiden name, but the wedding ones were made to both of us so we had to wait until my name was legally changed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Beautiful note, retread! Thank you!
  • Options
    i would send the thank you note immediately, but i would wait until after the wedding to cash the check.  you should not technically "use" the gift until after the wedding, just like any other present that you receive. 
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Thanksgiving tickersphoto 307df189-2dc4-4bea-9b76-9ac6ceda8155_zps59ea37ee.jpgphoto c779d75a-0807-4fcc-b206-432ab43bdb6d_zpsf12ebd56.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards