Registry and Gift Forum

Not sure what to register for

FI and I have lived together for just over a year.  We live in a duplex with zero storage space--we don't even have room for the stuff we have.  We plan on buying a house about a year after the wedding, meaning we will be here for another two years or so.  I really want to register at Target and REI, but I just don't know what we would do with anything that we get.  I also don't want to get a nice mixer or anything, and have it sit in the box for a year until we move out.  I would like to register for towels and linens and that kind of thing, but I feel like we won't have very much on the registry.  On my invitations, it will direct everyone to our wedding website (that hasn't been created yet).  I know a lot of people put registry info online, so I'm wondering if there is any way to say that gift cards are perfectly fine.  I don't plan on "soliciting" them, even though I would prefer them.  Should I just list the two stores, and let everyone else decide? I also don't plan on doing a HM registry, because I haven't the slightest idea what I want to do, and don't really feel the need to register for it.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Not sure what to register for

• Definately register for sheets and towels.  Are there things you'd like to upgrade?  I know that until we got married, I never owned a full set of matching dishes or silverware.  Is there anything like that you'd like to replace?  If you do a small registry, people will take the hint and get you GCs or cash.  You don't have to tell them, but if they ask, you can mention that you're saving for your new place or don't know what you'll need for the new house.
  • Thanks for your response! I really don't like the idea of asking for GCs on my site, so I think I'm just going to forget that--my mom has a big mouth, I'll just rely on her to get the message across.And there are things we could use, like more plates and silverware, but FI is not big on upgrading.  There are certain things that he may go for, but he doesn't exactly see the point of upgrading things we already have.  He also doesn't see the need for more than one set of sheets or 4 towels.  Oh and we do have about 8 or 9 towels, but don't have any room for them.  When I say zero storage, I mean it.  Our bathroom is tiny, with one shelf on the wall, and I purchased a small cabinet from Target, but that doesn't hold all of our towels either.  Maybe I'll just "accidentally" give them to the Goodwill or something. Our kitchen's only storage amounts to a china hutch attached to the wall.  Neither the bedroom or the office has a real closet, and our basement is covered in mold.  We still have stuff in boxes from moving in because there is no where to put anything. I also figure if nothing else, I can return anything we don't have room/need for and save the GCs I get from that until we get a house, then I don't have to ask for them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I hear what you are saying, but since you want to move in a year, you may want to think about the things you want long term. If you think you might want a china set one day, for example, this may be the only chance to get it unless you think you'd buy it for yourself. If you could use a nice mixer, I say go for it -- even if it sits in a box for a year. Could you store anything at Mom's in the mean time? Shove it under a bed in its box for a year? You only get married once, and if you have some dream items, I think you should put 'em on your registry and just store them until you have the space. But, if you decide not to go that route, I say get amazing bedding and towels -- the good ones you wouldn't necessarily splurge on for yourself right now. Also, things like a great set of knives, some new pots and pans, a nice crystal vase, and cool kitchen utensils which don't take up much space, or luggage, may (or may not?) be ideas for you. Good luck!
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com
  • We're registering for things that we can't fit into our place and they are all staying at my FIL's house or in our attic until we move, which may be a year or more. We will watn these things to fill up our kitchen & home once we move and you probably will too so keep that in mind... I agree with upgrading as well - We registered for new sheets, towels, etc to upgrade what we already have.
  • Okay, so you don't need stuff now...what about in 2 years. A storage locker for 2 years will be a heck of a lot cheaper than having to buy anything you need or want when you finally buy a house down the road. As for your FI not wanting to upgrade or have extras...he needs to get over it. Things will break and get dirty. One set of sheets? What if one gets dirty and you don't have time to do laundry right away? I understand the minimalist approach in some regards but not when having more than one item or a newer item is more practical.
  • A few of the things we registered for that you might want to consider- luggage, dust buster, tower fan.  We are also upgrading things and donating our old versions to Goodwill. Most registries automatically include a gift card option for purchasers, but I wouldn't say anything about them on your website.
  • I like the idea of your mom trying to get the message across, that should help.  BUT... I do think that you should reg., esp for your shower.  Their are people that prefer to buy gifts, so you can give them direction (and get things you need/want) or let them pick on their own (my best friend got some crap that she could not return).  FI and I need little.  But some new towels and cute wine glasses will be nice.  :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Wes and I are having the same problems. We live in a small apartment and he's in the military, so much of our stuff we won't be able to use  together for a few years, and it could mostly end up going into storage. We already have space issues.Also, he wants to register for a Wii and speakers and things like that, but is that OK?
  • You could always consider having a garage sale if that makes your guy any more up for upgrading. You'd be able to clear out some of the old and have some extra change for the honeymoon or whatever.We have no idea where we'll be living once we get married, but we're of the mindset that this is stuff that we'll need and probably wouldn't buy ourselves!
    BFP #1 6/3/10 | EDD 2/5/11 | Noelle born 1/28/11
    BFP #2 12/20/11 | EDD 8/24/12 | Natural M/C 12/22/11
    BFP #3 5/13/12 (Mother's Day!) | EDD 1/23/13 | Natural M/C 6/9/12 (blighted ovum discovered 6/7/12 at 7w1d)
    "And to think when their little eyes opened, the first thing they saw was the face of Jesus."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Ovulation Chart | My Baby Name List
  • I'm definitely in the same boat.  I've decided to update my dishes and flatware.  Another thing to think about is tools.  We're registering at Sears for small hand/power tools. 
  • If you really don't need anything why don't you create a monetary gift registry @ www.egift-ing.com It's a tactful way to receive monetary gifts that you can use for a down payment on a home or for more expensive items that one person would not be able to afford.  It's easy and convenient. It also allows you to print your registry cards, Thank you cards, and address labels for those who gifted you directly from the site.  That saves sooo much time. Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards