Registry and Gift Forum

Expensive Items - Etiquette question!

My fiance and I wanted to create a long, extensive registry so our guests would have a nice variety to choose from. We included items as cheap as a few dollars, with most items between 10 and 50 dollars or so. However, there were a few high end items that were high in price, the most expensive item topping at around $900. Let me reiterate, there are literally only like 3-4 things on a registry of well over 100 items that are in that price range... (Only 1 thing is $900, and we have 2 or 3 more around 4-600). My FMIL seems to think this is rude and sends the wrong message. She says that including such highly priced items is rude and makes people think we expect them to spend that much. However, we wanted to include some high-end items that we really wanted so that if guests were feeling particularly generous, or if several people wanted to pool their money together - they'd have a few nice options. Plus, most of our registry is much more moderately priced. What do you think? Is it okay to include these select few high-end items, or is it rude like FMIL says?

Re: Expensive Items - Etiquette question!

• I agree wtih you. I think as long as you have a wide array of items in different prices, it is okay to have a few expensive things on there.  A couple of our guest for our shower bought some more expensive items together like you were saying.  
  • I agree it's fine. My friends and I often go in together and buy a large gift. Last year we bought our friend a rug, I think it was $600. Also you often get a completion discount, so you can use cash you might get as gifts to buy a large ticket item at a discount.
  • I think it's fine.  It sounds like you have a wide range of price ranges, which is good:)
  • Agree with you and the pp's.  I have a couple of higher price items that I will be putting on our registry (Le Creuset is NOT cheap!), but I don't expect that any one would buy them unless they got together with a group of 10 others or something.  I was told by previously marrieds to view the registry as a kind of 'wish list.'  Just like at Christmas, you sure as heck don't expect to get everything on there, bu wouldn't it be nice? Out of pure curiosity, what is it that you registered for that costs $900?
  • It's fine, so long as you have a variety.  I've seen a lot of people put big ticket items on their registery just to get the completion discount.
  • I think it is perfectly fine as long as you have many things available in a wide-range of prices.DH and I registered for a Dyson (mainly because we intended to purchase it with the completion discount after the wedding) and 5 of our friends ended up going in for it together.So, you never know when there might be some that want to do a "group" gift.
  • I think it's totally find to include some higher priced items. Often this allows groups of your friends or family to pitch in on something bigger.  This is a great option because people can give what they can afford and still feel like they're getting you a great gift.  I registered in much the same way.  I registered for my pots and pans as a set instead of individually.  I've heard when you get them individually you can exchange them for the set and get the money back, but I feel a bit weird about it.Do you think our FMIL's will always be this forward with their opinions? 
  • If you want expensive gifts and you know most of your guests won't be able to afford it I would set up a monetary gift registry therefor you can add you gifts up and purchase what you really want.  Check out - www.egift-ing.comBy the site makes life easy for you because you print your registry cards, the address lables, and thank you cards directly from the site.Good Luck.
  • A group of us bought our friends a 72" flat screen tv for their Jack & Jill. They hardly got any other gifts because so many of us went in on it, but they were SO surprised! For some reason, it did not show up as purchased on their registry, so even after checking, they were clueless.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards