Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Pyrex

Has anyone seen that email about pyrex glass exploding?  I just checked snopes, and it says its true, but there are not that many cases of it.Apparently, it used to be owned by corningware, but then was sold to another company, and the glass they make it with now is not as good as it used to be.

Re: Pyrex

• Options
    it's made of a different material -- soda lime rather than borosilicate.if you are afraid of exploding glass, either buy vintage or be careful of exposing it to rapidly changing temperature.
  • Options
    Pyrex, or any glass, can explode if the temperature change is sudden.  It even says this on the front of the box.   I think it usually happens when it goes from cold to hot too fast.  one note about the vintage pyrex, if you buy ANY vintage/old glass products make sure it is microwave safe.  I learned this the hard way and it wasn't easy cleaning glass shards out of the new microwave.
  • Options
    yes it can happen....happened to my FI and his ex wife when they were together... You are fine as long as you dont take it out of the oven and then set it down on something really cold like stainless steel.
  • Options
    Pyrex/glass also is not a very great cooking tool to begin with because it cooks from the outside in. For example, when you do brownies or lasagna the crusts are always hard and the middle is still not done.I recommend stoneware- it really is the best for holding heat and cooks very well. A lot of places sell various kinds of stoneware but I really like Pampered Chef. www.pamperedchef.comGood luck!
  • Options
    I love my Pyrex.  I do a lot of cooking and baking (and incidentally, a lot of dropping because I'm clumsy) and my Pyrex just chips or splits, it doesn't shatter.  I hope mine never explodes but I can't say I'm that concerned.  Really, in my kitchen, pretty much anything is at risk for explosion.As far a cooking, I find it works far better in my electric oven than other stuff, but I don't have gas so I can't comment on that.
  • Options
    I generally just use my pyrex for storage or reheating in the microwave. I love it. and would love more of it.
  • Options
    i am totally disturbed by these posts and think i will wear protective glasses if i ever decide to use pyrex again lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards