Registry and Gift Forum

When to register and for what?!?

Ok, I'm new here so bear with me if these questions are asked a zillion times.  First off, when am I supposed to register.  We're not having and engagement party (I've been engaged since May and getting married next May so I think the boat has sailed on that one), so this would just be for the shower and wedding.  I'm getting married May 22, 2010.  If I was supposed to have registered already, don't freak out, there are a lot of things I haven't done yet :) (I won't share what - like make final decisions on the dress - so I don't incur the wrath of you type A uber organized brides!).Second question.  I'm 33 years old and have been living with my fiance for almost 3 years.  What in the world am I supposed to register for?!?  I mean, I already have mostly everything.  I suppose I could use some new stuff but for the most part, I'm good.  What we really need is a new car, but I digress...What really sucks about it is that my future husband is the cook (the kitchen is literally his domain) and really the main cleaner (can I pick 'em or what?) BUT he HATES shopping, so I would probably be doing this alone.Help!

Re: When to register and for what?!?

• Register right about when invitations go out at the latest. Those that know they won't be coming will start mailing gifts if they so choose. Register for upgrades, stuff you don't have and want. You can register for specialty goods like camping gear (places like REI and Amazon are great for this!)The knot has a check list that you can use. Just search "registry checklist"Last but not least, if your FI doesn't want to go, ask him what he wants to register for (if he even cares about that) and just make sure you register for that while you are out. Most registries offer an online option so he can go over it later if he wants to add, delete or change things.HTH!
    PhotobucketAnniversary Holiday
  • I'd start registries now and you can adjust 'em after the holidays to include things that may be discounted or remove items that are no longer available etc.
  • towels,sheets,appliances,china,silverware,items that you will want to have when you have your first of many gatherings/ dinner parties as a couple
  • We got married 5/23 of this year.  I think we did our registry right around halloween and it was fine.  The only reason you'd need a registry now is if you think people will want to get you registry items for holiday gifts.  If so, I'd get in and register now before the mall turns into psycho-ville.  Otherwise, you really don't need a registry until your shower invites go out.  Look for stuff that you will always replace: sheets, towels, etc and for upgrades/specialty appliances.  We'd been living together for years, but we'd never had matching dishes or an ice cream maker.  Don't register for the specialty stuff that you won't use, but I can tell you I made fresh ice cream all summer.  If you keep the registry small, you can spread the word that "They have a small registry at X, but they are really saving for a new car."  Those that are comfortable giving cash will write you a check.
  • I'm similar to you, practical76.  I'm 31 and have owned my house for 5 years now, and have lived with FI for 2 years.  He does most of the cooking - so I told him to make a list of things we needed or he would really want around the kitchen.I was surprised at how many things we came up with that we needed or would be nice to have new.  We did all our registering online - with one follow-up trip to the store itself (to checkout some colors, softness of towels, etc).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards