Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Wedding Gifts - Checks written to my new name

For my recent wedding my husband and I recieved a lot of checks.  Some were written to just me (maiden name) or just him, and then some were written to Mr. OR Mrs. "New Last Name"...but,  unfortunately quite a few were written to Mr. AND Mrs. "New Last Name" and our bank won't cash until I bring in a copy of our marriage license showing my name change.  Did anyone have this problem? And, Does anyone know how long this process can take?  We haven't recieved anything from the County yet, although it's only been 3 weeks.  Some checks we recieved as early as December.  Hope they don't bounce once we can cash them! LOL.  Any advice will help:)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Wedding Gifts - Checks written to my new name

• Options
    Usually you can just write "for deposit only" on the back of the check and have money put into your account.  I've never run into any issues depositing checks this way.
  • Options
    Hmmm...never heard of this before.  I'll try again:)  Thanks!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_wedding-gifts-checks-written-to-my-new-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:13238b20-db6b-422c-b0e2-f8045a91c94bPost:1c417440-5c40-434a-8f73-4e6f44f07833">Re: Wedding Gifts - Checks written to my new name</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think this covered all the possibilities. Use an ATM: <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_checks">http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_checks</a>
    Posted by ElisabethJoanne[/QUOTE]

<div>Just because you get the bank to physically take the money does not mean they will deposit the check.  We have an online savings account and they have sent us back checks before where the amount was not clearly legible, etc.  </div><div>
    </div><div>OP, I didn't change my name and we never had any problems depositing checks into our online savings account (Capital One, in case you're curious).  We write "for deposit only" and the account number on them, and then DH endorsed any check that was made out to "Mr. and Mrs. HisLast."  </div>
  • Options
    I would try speaking with a different person, or even possibly going to a different branch. For checks that had my married name on them we were told for J to sign his name and then for me to sign both my maiden and my married name.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I tried again and still they need the Marriage Cert and to change my name on the account:(  I'm with BofA.  Good news is I finally got word that our license has been filed and I can go grab the certificate today to bring to the bank.  Hate the hassle though...there's a million other name change things I need to use my time on.

• Options
    I'm with B of A too and I did not have that problem. Thank goodness, because I did not change my name. So I guess they're saying we never would have been able to cash our checks. My husband and I had to go together and we each signed and showed ID.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards