Registry and Gift Forum

Coffee?

I was wondering if any of you are in the same predicament we are in. We are debating if we should put a traditional grind and brew coffee maker on our registry or a Tassimo. Does buying all the little pod things for Tassimo turn out to be cheaper or more expensive than coffee beans? Also, what do you do if you are entertaining and want to make a pot of coffee? Thanks for your help!

Re: Coffee?

• For me, I drink more than one cup of coffee each morning and waiting to brew another individual cup at 5:00 AM just isn't an option.  I plan on registering for a new grind and brew with a thermal caraffe (?sp) so that whether I'm drinking coffee alone or have guests to serve as well, I've got fresh, hot coffee. 
  • I actually have both. I LOVE the tassimo for mornings when its just me, its real quick and easy.  Girlie they have t-discs that produce different size cups, I think its the Morning Roast.
    But we also use the regular pot when we are entertaining, but because the Tassimo does make a variety of flavors, it has also often been used during entertaining when everyone wants something different. Regular, decaf, vanilla, tea!
  • We use a Tassimo daily, but have a REALLY inexpensive machine that brews pots if needed when we have a big party.
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • The discs are definitely more expensive than coffee beans, so if that's your main concern then the traditional coffee maker may be a better option.  You can get some of the discs on Amazon relatively cheaply, but it still costs more.  If you're a pot-a-day drinker, then it really adds up and would probably even take less time to brew a pot rather than make several individual cups with the discs.  However, if you also like espresso drinks, a Tassimo is a nice investment because it's cheaper than most espresso machines and very easy to use.

It really boils down to whether the convience of brewing a cup of coffee in a minute, being able to make a wider variety of drinks, etc is worth the extra cost.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_coffee?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:1bf0976f-e5d2-48ed-b16a-ede32b894e92Post:1bfe3b10-ec01-4169-b5fd-ce83b2384e01">Re: Coffee?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We use a Tassimo daily, but have a REALLY inexpensive machine that brews pots if needed when we have a big party.
    Posted by Muffin'sMom[/QUOTE]

This
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • As for saving money- although the fancier machine (we got a Keurig) costs more, we are saving a ton of money by not going to Starbucks all the time! DH had a coffee machine, but we were always too lazy to use it and ended up buying coffee, which is definitely more than the little discs cost!
  • I also have a Kuerig maker and LOVE it!!!!  Its great because if you only want a single cup thats all you need to make, and you dont have to waste an entire pot if your running late in the morning.  Also, my FI and I drink different types of coffee so it helps that we can each have what we like, as opposed to one settling for what the other made that morning.  And when guests come over, I buy a variety pack that haev several different brands and flavors so my guests can try something new, but I also stock up on basic coffee shop coffee too.  I'm not sure about Tassimo but I know Kuerig makes a seperate piece you can buy so that you can still used ground coffee if you prefer a certain brand (such as Dunkin Donuts, which hasnt yet caught on to the one cup craze) and its only about $7 for the piece.  And once people know you have a single cup maker, they will bring thier own coffee!!  Everyone in my family has one now so we know to bring our own cups for get togethers in case we dont like the selection.  And I trade cups with my neighbors so we can all try new things...its like a cult.  LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2010
    I have a Keurig and I LOVE it! I'm generally a one cup a day coffee maker and my FI occassionally has one as well. I think it's best if you enjoy your coffee, but don't enjoy it a pot at a time.

I usually buy K-Cups, but also have a My K-Cup that I can fill with the coffee grinds of my choice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 70 Invited image
    56 Ready to rock image
    14 Sitting it out image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards