Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Crate and Barrell - WWYD?

We got married on July 14, but we didn't really get any of our wedding gifts out until a month later when we moved into our new home. 
So I was washing our duvet/ sham set we got from Crate and Barrell this morning, and there is a 4-5 inch rip on one of the side seams. WTF? We've only been using it for two months, and it's gone through about 3 washes. It's machine-washable, 100% cotton.

Should I take it back to the store even though we've been using it for 2 months? Should I just get it fixed (since it's on the seam, it probably wouldn't be too hard for my mom/grandmother to do)?

Re: Crate and Barrell - WWYD?

• Options
    I would guess they would exchange it, so if you want a new one, go to the store or call their customer service about it.  We exchanged things from both BBB and Macy's after we used them and discovered the quality wasn't great.  (I've also done that with clothing from the Gap.)

If it won't bother you and you can easily get it fixed, that's fine, too.  It will save you the call to customer service, and it's a little less wasteful to try to salvage it.  
  • Options
    I would call and see what they can do.  You have nothing to lose, so it doesn't hurt to ask. The worst that can happen is that they'll say no, and you'll fix it yourself.    I agree that it might be a little bit wasteful, but I find that when one seam isn't done right, others aren't quite right either.   

Also, you could get your mother/grandmother to show you how to fix it yourself, instead of doing it for you.  I have to remind myself that when my mom and grandmother are gone, all of those sewing skills are going to die with them if I don't learn myself...then there would be generations of people who don't know how to "make do and mend."  
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    I'll add my voice to the:  call and see what they can do pile.  I've found C and B customer service to be really outstanding and it's one of the reasons we chose to register with them!  I'll bet that at minimum they will exchange it for you.

And I'll second the note above that when one seam isn't done well, it generally is true for all of them.   

Good luck!
  • Options
    Definitely try to exchange it-Crate and Barrel customer service is great.  However, is it supposed to be machine washable? Make sure you've been following the care instructions (I assume you have, but I'm the type who does something because I assumed it was correct and then it turns out I wasn't supposed to wash it or something...)

However, if it's easier to fix yourself, I'd probably do that just out of convenience.
  • Options
    Ugh, I just realized that the duvet and shams are discontinued, so even if I replaced it with a different duvet, I'd have to buy new shams, too.

Looks like I'm going to have to try and get it fixed myself...
  • Options
    I would take it back and explain the situation. Tell them that the shams have been discontinued and because their product wasn't a quality product you will now be forced to purchase all new shams along with a new devet. They should be replacing it all.
  • Options
    I don't think it would hurt to ask, but you did wash it a few times and have been using it for a few months. I wouldn't be surprised if they said there was nothing they could do about it. 

That said, just a rip in the seam shouldn't be hard to fix. I'd see if a friend or relative who sews can take care of it for you.
  • Options
    And stop washing them all the time.  The shams and duvet are for show.  You put them on the bed when you make it, and you take it off the bed when you get in.  There's no need to wash them all the time.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_crate-and-barrell-wwyd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:1ccfa01b-8be4-41fd-9e07-8f5651d548b3Post:5650d840-ecbe-4643-b812-54143f01ec7c">Re: Crate and Barrell - WWYD?</a>:
    [QUOTE]And stop washing them all the time.  The shams and duvet are for show.  You put them on the bed when you make it, and you take it off the bed when you get in.  There's no need to wash them all the time.
    Posted by Kristin789[/QUOTE]

You tell that to the 45 pound white devil who sneaks up there when we're not looking.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards