Registry and Gift Forum

Opinions needed about showers

The last time I spoke to my mother in law to be I'd mentioned that my matron of honor was looking forward to our wedding shower . . . the MIL proceeded to ask me why we would even have a shower since we've been together 9 years and have an established home.  I pointed out to her that everything in the house is mismatched since it came from either my first place or his, and the sheets and towels are over 15 years old . . . are we wrong to have a shower since we've been together this long?  I'm hurt and want to bring it up to her, should I?

Re: Opinions needed about showers

• No, you are not wrong to have a shower.  

What you should have said to MIL was "well, X gratiously offered to throw one, and there are plenty of things we could use, so we took her up on it."  Pointing out the quality of your items implies that it is the responsibility of your wedding guests to make sure you have nice things.  

Do not bring it up to her again.  It was rude of her to say anything, but it wasn't a huge affront.  Bringing it up again is not going to resolve anything and is just going to send the message that you can't let a small thing go.
  • Thanks everyone, it's unlike me to hold back my feelings but you're all correct in that it will reflect poorly on me if I can't get over something this small.  
    @ MyNameIsNot - I didn't even realize it!  Your comment "Pointing out the quality of your items implies that it is the responsibility of your wedding guests to make sure you have nice things" is SPOT ON and I didn't even realize the implication  -  I wish I would have come up with something better to say - I now it see if from the other point of view - thank you so much!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards