Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Macys and BBB

Fiance and I are going to register this weekend.  We decided to register at Macys and BBB. What did you register for at BBB?  What did you register for at Macys?

Re: Macys and BBB

• Options
    We registered at Macy's and Target, so I can't help you on the BBB.  At Macy's, we had mostly Martha Stewart stuff - baking pans, cooking utensils and even our dishes were the white square Martha Stewart ones.  We also got a set of sheets from there that I do love, but my cat keeps ripping tiny holes in them, so maybe they aren't the best?  They were from the Hotel Collection I believe.

We also registered for stainless steel Calphalon pans at Macy's, which I love.  I've had nonstick and they're just more risky because if you scratch them, they are basically ruined.  With stainless steel you can get Barkeeper's Friend and it keeps them shiny and looking new.
  • Options
    check out my registries here:

Bed Bath & Beyond

Macy's = program is amazing.  If you don't have a Macy's charge, you should definitely get one.  Dishes, flatware, extra pieces to our Calphalon we already have, sheets, towels, etc.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    engaged on 5/29/11... Kelly & Andy to be married -- September 29, 2012
  • Options
    i work at macy's so i see stuff i want all the time but we aren't really asking for anything. we want to go to disneyworld for our honeymoon so we want to do one of those registries.
  • Options
    I registered for Macy's and BBB. BBB has the BEST return policy.  Cash and they return everything.

BBB: an area rug (we actually got it bc 4 people went in together), towels, bedding, quilt, flannel sheet set, regular sheet set, shower curtain, bathroom accesories, coffee maker, toaster, spice rack, humidifier, plastic storage bins

Macy's: fiestaware place settings, espana boca serving dishes (matched fiestaware perfectly), flatware, pots and pans set, kitchenaid stand mixer, garbage can, laundry hamper, iron, glasses, glass water pitcher, pyrex leftover containers

I know I am missing a lot.  I was just going to stress to you that our biggest success was registering for what we needed/wanted.  Don't listen to the sales lady that tells you to scan whatever you want and to upgrade everything.  Think.  Would you rather get the juicer or all of your place settings?  Would you rather get the 15 bottle wine cooler or all your flatware?

We didn't register for fine china either.

Also, out of our registries there were only two items we didn't get.  The garbage and the laundry hamper.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Cackle6Cackle6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Ditto the PP about BBB's return policy. MUCH better and easier than Macy's - although it could have just been the employees at the registry department at my particular Macy's, as they seemed to hate their jobs and were so awful about everything. We did mostly everything at BBB and just a few things at Macy's.

BBB - Pretty much everything. Cookware (Caphalon Unison, and we LOVE it), knives (Caphalon Katana, again, awesome), all kitchen basics (utensils, baking, cutting boards, etc), kitchen electrics (Kitchen Aid stand mixer, toaster, etc), serving pieces, table linens, flatware, stemware, drinking glasses, bedding (down comforter, duvet cover, sheets and pillows), vacuum and steam cleaner, frames, toasting flutes and cake cutter, and some random decor stuff. A few of my favorite fun items:

Macy's - Fiestaware (only because BBB doesn't carry it in store), towels, and fine china (only because BBB doesn't have open stock on individual plates and we wanted a dinner plate from one pattern and a salad and bread and butter plate from a different pattern).

I started both of them online, and when comparing prices of items that both Macy's and BBB carry, it never failed that Macy's sale prices on items were BBB's everyday prices on items. Add an extra 20% off when you factor in guests using coupons, and BBB is the better choice price wise for items that both stores carry. I was very price conscience when thinking about my guests, so it just made more sense to register for most items at BBB. When I went into the stores, I had a much better experience with the consultant at BBB than I did at Macy's. The one at BBB was great, helped me find the items I wanted and suggested a few that I hadn't thought of. Macy's had 4 people working the day I went in, and I walked around for a good half hour before anyone said anything to me.

• Options
    I am going to add that it really makes a difference the individual store you register at.  In Chicago I went to the Macy's downtown, the flagship here. The service was amazing and the associate was very helpful.  Overall I wasn't approached often on the floor though.  I preferred that to BBB.  BBB felt like they were on commission and they kept telling us to treat it like a wishlist of things.  I always felt that I wouldn't register for something I wouldn't put money towards myself.  At BBB, the associate said I should "register for things you would never buy yourself" which explains couples that register for kegerators and wine coolers and other crazy stuff.
  • Options
    hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    If you have a Macy's charge or can get one with your credit, I would do the expensive stuff at Macy's, the less expensive stuff at BBB.  Macy's has a program that gives you 10% back on everything you buy until like 6 months after your wedding (or something along those lines) plus 5% back on everything your guests purchase off of your registry. And while BBB has those coupons, they actually exclude a lot of items that appear on many registries (ie: everything waterford, everything all clad), and some BBBs enforce the exlusions and others don't. So we're doing china, flatware, crystal, bedding, appliances, and some other more expensive odds and ends at Macy's (ie: simple human trash can - love) and if we had done BBB we would have done less expensive items there like dish towels, kitchen gadgets, plus anything Macy's doesn't carry.  We're doing those kitchen gadgets at WS instead.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    thanks ladies!!!
  • Options
    We are registered at BBB and Pottery Barn.  We chose not to do Macys because it had similar things as BBB, but the sale prices were the same as BBB's regular prices, and BBB always has those 20% off coupons.  I do know that sometimes you can get some really great sales at Macys, but BBB just seemed easier.

BBB: Formal china, crystal, flatware, pots & pans (Calphalon Tri-ply), knives (Henckles), kitchen electrics (mixers, blender, food processor, etc.), some of the B.Smith serving pieces and kitchen gadgets.

We did not really find any casual dinnerware we liked there (we registered for Pottery Barn's Emma), and we didn't like the towels or bedding, so all of that we did at Pottery Barn. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

• Options
    Our towels were "Hotel Collection" and now I can,not remember for the life of me if it was Macy's or BBB. They have top reviews and are just excellent, soft, absorbant but expensive. H did all the research on everything we registered for. I recommend researching things with a smart phone while or before you go. Some items had major drawbacks that we wouldn't have known if we hadn't looked it up. Thank you smart phones! If you don't see bedding or knives or something you like at either Macy's or BBB, don't register for something you are just okay with. Make a note, check their online selection. If you still don't see anything you like remember that is something you can use wedding or shower gift money for. It just makes more sense than registering for something you don't really like.
  • Options
    hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    Hotel Collection is at Macys - I agree their linens are a much better quality than BBB.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We chose both Macys and BBB but ended up transferring most of our items to Macy's because of the sales and special offers for our guests.  I think we only really kept our gadgets and storage items on our list at BBB because you couldn't get tray tables and such from Macy's.

Also the registry customer service at my local Macy's was phenomenal and I think my completion discount is still in the system after 3 years!

So it depends on how your service is at your local store, but I prefer Macy's hands-down.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards