Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Anyone requested NO GIFTS?

We are planning on requesting that no one gives us gifts. Has anyone done that? Do people actually listen? I've heard of people thinking you're just SAYING that, and that you actually do want gifts.
Photobucket

Re: Anyone requested NO GIFTS?

• Options
    The thing is, some people really enjoy giving you a wedding gift to help you start your life together.  Even though you say you don't want anything, there are people that will give you something anyway, because they want to. 

If they do, you have to gratiously accept. 
  • Options
    Don't mention gifts.  If someone wants to give you something, accept it graciously.
  • Options
    Oh oh I know!  This was JUST in Miss Manners and she hit the nail on the head.  The question was about Christmas parties I think, but it certainly applies to weddings too.

imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    The thing is, we live in a tiny house and we already have too much stuff. We are not starting our lives together, we have lived together for over a year. We are already practically married, just not legally. Obviously if we get a gift, we will accept it! I don't want to be mean or anything, we just honestly would not be able to think of 80 things to register for, I can't imagine how people with hundreds of guests do it! I could think of maybe 5-10 things.

I guess I'll take Miss Manners' advice and not mention it :]  I know how she feels about putting things about registries in with your invitations and such! Haha
    Photobucket
  • Options
    You might be surprised at what you can register for. If you don't register, SOME people will still get you a physical gift, but you can also instruct family to say, "Well, they have a really small house, but they're saving up for x." In that case, you may get checks. If you DO register, you can always just upgrade sheets/towels/cookware.

And ditto, it's rude to mention gifts at ALL, including "no gifts."
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    For the wedding you can feel free to spread the word that you do not wish to get gifts, however people will give you stuff anyway! So, IMO register for something you want and see what you get. Since it's not in good taste to make any mention of gifts on the wedding invite you could have something on your wedding website (if you have one of those) or just be sure your parents and wedding party all know what to say when they are asked (they will be!). FI and I registered for our Honeymoon through Honefund.com beacuse, like you, we have already lived togehter for a number of years and don't need any more 'stuff'. Good luck!
    ~ Trish Finfer
    Blog

• Options
    You can register for pretty much anything, depending on the store.  Think about everything Sears sells - you can register for that.  Lawn mowers, drills, tvs, tablewear, furniture, even clothes. 

Something to consider is registering for upgraded items.  Have sheets?  How about a set of super luxurious ones?  What about some soft, fluffy new towels?  Nicer flatwear?  Maybe even some tools to help make repairs around the house.  If you receive those items, then you can donate your old things to Goodwill, etc., and take a tax writeoff. 

Personally, I would never go to a wedding without a gift of some sort.  FI prefers to give cash; I prefer actual gifts.  I'll give cash happily if I know you're saving for a house, or a really nice trip, but I don't want my gift to turn into your regular gas and grocery money.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    My FI and I have been living together for a year too and do not want/need any physical items.  We're both treehugger types so we're doing a registry where we ask people to do things in their daily lives as a gift to us.  For example, they can register to:

-eat organic for a year
    -use toilet paper that's made from recycled paper for a year
    -take public transportation instead of driving to work for a year
    -stop using plastic water bottles for a year and invest in an awesome reusable one
    -shop using only reusable bags for a year
    -buy only CFL lightbulbs for a year
    ...and the list goes on

This is way more our style and honestly, we're really hoping people get into it and see what really means the most to us as a couple.  Hope you can figure out a registry (or not one at all) that works for you!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_anyone-requested-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:26a64ad3-92f3-46fe-83c8-b7e7c7687880Post:2ba5279c-3da0-4f4e-85f1-22985cbe50ef">Re: Anyone requested NO GIFTS?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We didn't because I know we're going to end up with random crap we don't need. I've been to a wedding where they requested no gifts. They got random crap from Ross or Marshall's from me. I don't know them very well to know what to get them.
    Posted by Champagne Supernova[/QUOTE]

If they requested no gifts then why did you get them one? Especially if you know it's "random crap" ? That just doesn't make any sense at all. If you don't even know them well enough to get something you'd think they'd like why bother?
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_anyone-requested-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:26a64ad3-92f3-46fe-83c8-b7e7c7687880Post:994af9f0-92b9-4677-ba24-a3e50ba0284b">Re: Anyone requested NO GIFTS?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FI and I have been living together for a year too and do not want/need any physical items.  We're both treehugger types so we're doing a registry where we ask people to do things in their daily lives as a gift to us.  For example, they can register to: -eat organic for a year -use toilet paper that's made from recycled paper for a year -take public transportation instead of driving to work for a year -stop using plastic water bottles for a year and invest in an awesome reusable one -shop using only reusable bags for a year -buy only CFL lightbulbs for a year ...and the list goes on This is way more our style and honestly, we're really hoping people get into it and see what really means the most to us as a couple.  Hope you can figure out a registry (or not one at all) that works for you!  
    Posted by jessicarabbit501[/QUOTE]

Seriously? I'd just buy you a toaster.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards