Registry and Gift Forum

is it bad not to have a bridal shower?

Is it ok not to have a bridal shower?

the thing is that I dont really have a lot of female friends and I dont really want to go through the trouble of a shower...would it be ok not to have one?

would i still register for gifts?

also do people bring gifts to the wedding if there was no shower? would i need a table for that? and then designate someone to bring them home after the reception?

ive only been to a few weddings as an adult and never been in a bridal party so Im just kinda confused be everything. thanks for the advice

Re: is it bad not to have a bridal shower?

• It's fine to not have a shower. There is no rule that says you must have one. Also, I think it is fine that you still register. Your family and many of your guests will most likely still wish to get you something to start your new lives together. Don't mention the registry on your wedding invites, as I am sure you already know. Your parents, FI parents, your MOH and such can spread the word when your guests ask.

You have over 1,000 days until your wedding...you defiitely have enough time to make all of these decisions. I wouldn't register until about 2 months or so before the wedding date. That is unless you do decide to have a shower. Maybe in the next few years someone else would offer to throw you a shower...a boss of yours, co worker, family friend, ect.

I wouldn't worry about it for now. Just enjoy being engaged! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image253 Invited
    image123 Accepted
    image53 Declined
    image99 Leavin' Me hangin
    RSVP Date: August 5, 2012
  • ok thanks so much

I know I have a lot of time but theres just so much to think about.

like I want to have a smaller wedding max 80 people but my fiance has a big family ( i dont think we need to invite everyone in his family espcially people he doesnt see or talk to hardly ever or friends that are more like acquaitences not really good friends) but i caved and said max 120, so then I wonder do you invite more then that and then hope that 30 say no or invite 120 and hope they all say yes?

good think i have such a long time to figure these things out. lol
  • To add, you don't throw your own bridal shower.  It's fine to decline an offer for one, but if no one offers, you don't have one.  

As for attendance, plan for 100% attendance--unlikely, but if you cannot afford or fit everyone you invite, you will have a big problem if they all end up coming.  
  • Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    I've been married twice and had zero showers.  Like you, I don't have a lot of female friends (almost everyone I work with is male), and the few female friends I do have, AND my entire family, live thousands of miles away from me.  Nobody even offered to throw me a shower either time.  And honestly it was no big deal at all.

I think it's MORE than fine to still have a registry even if you're not having any showers.  I know in some circles people give gifts at showers and cash at weddings, but a lot of people DO give physical (boxed) wedding gifts, and you likely have many friends who will want to get you towels, napkins, sheets, or whatever:-)
    DSC_9275
  • ok good Im not the only one, lol.  thanks
  • In my culture we don't do bridal showers... My family has never heard of it... But having American friends I did have an offer but I declined it because... I really don't know what it's about... lol. We just bring our gifts to the wedding and leave them on their designated table. I think you'll be just fine. :)
    Buying A Home
  • Shower or not, I would still register. People will want to buy you gifts for your engagement and wedding... we registered 10 months before our wedding and have come home to several surprise engagement gifts. It was very nice and very unexpected.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards