Registry and Gift Forum

Simple Question about Registering

Hi! My FI and I just registered at Target this past week and it was exciting and overwhelming.
We have a couple of questions:

1) how many items should we register for? We only have about 50 items.
2) do people register for furniture?
3) is it okay to only register at one place?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Simple Question about Registering

• Some will disagree about this, but I prefer when people over-register. I hate being the last minute shopper stuck with 2 items I think are lame or going off-registry. 

Register for furniture if you can afford it because you get a completion discount (at least I believe Target does? Most stores do). Also, if your family are the kind of people who like to go in on larger items as groups, that's an option. Depends on your circle, though.

I would register at more than one place as different people have different places they like to shop. Bed Bath & Beyond, Pottery Barn, William-Sonoma, and Amazon are all popular options.

Yes, registries are about you getting gifts - but I think it's better to think of them as a way to make things simpler for your guests who are kind enough to buy you a gift. It helps them know your tastes and makes it so they don't have to look through the entire store wondering, "Will they like this?" 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • divinemsbeedivinemsbee member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2012
    I agree about over-registering by a bit. Someone may decide to buy all of your bedding or all of your towels or something like that, and it's nice to have stuff left over. Plus, you can use a completion discount (I think Target has one) for anything you don't get. However, for me to say that OP should register for more, I would need to know how many people you're inviting and also if you would prefer cash gifts. If you're having a relatively small wedding and you're hoping for cash, just do what you're doing and most people will give that to you.

We would prefer to get gifts, and we're having about 250 people, so we're registered at 2 places (BBB and Belk, a department store) for a combined total of a little over 300 separate things (this includes china counted by the piece). We probably won't get all of it and will go back and buy the things we most want that are left if we get any cash. 

I've definitely heard of people registering for more expensive rugs or furniture and I think it's fine. Most people know you get a discount after the wedding at most places, or you could get lucky and a group of people will go in on something together. 

I think registering at one place is fine, but you might want to add another registry for things like kitchen electrics or if you want some nicer plates or towels. 

ETA: Where you register and what you register for and how much of it is less important than making sure you register for things at a variety of prices. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_simple-question-about-registering?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:47ab7e0f-509b-4d7e-86b9-15eb063794e8Post:fe4be032-23ef-46e8-b24e-4c8d4167d15e">Simple Question about Registering</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi! My FI and I just registered at Target this past week and it was exciting and overwhelming. We have a couple of questions:
     1) how many items should we register for? You want to make sure you have enoughfor all your guest to have options.  Some people will buy you more than one item. 
    2) do people register for furniture? I have not, but a friend of mine did, she had a couch and used her completion discount to but it after her wedding.
    3) is it okay to only register at one place? Whatever you feel like.  I only registered at one place.
    Anniversary Visit The Nest!
  • I'm non grata, but we were careful to register places where almost all our guests could go in-person. This involved 2 factors: In-person, not just online, because we have several guests who do not shop online. And one department store (Macy's) over another (Bloomingdale's), because the other one didn't have a store near where several out-of-state guests live, but the first was local to almost everyone.
  • aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment

Registering at one place is fine if that's what you would prefer. We only registered at Crate and Barrel and have been extremely happy with them thus far.

Regardless, be sure to have items at varying price points and keep an eye on it as the shower(s)/wedding approaches. FI's mom went yesterday and bought out 75% of our registry, which is incredibly awesome, but with a week and a half until our shower we felt like we really needed to head back to C&B and add some more stuff so our other shower guests would have plenty to choose from.

Lizzie
  • I agree with the other ladies, when I am shopping off a registry, I definitely like a variety of items to choose from, I would rather have too much than not enough. I forget what the rule of thumb is, but I think it is something like 2-3 items per guest, so you should register for 100-150 items or something like that.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards