Registry and Gift Forum

Ceremony / Reception items on registry

My older sister keeps pushing me to add a unity candle, cake server and toasting flutes to our registry. She keeps saying she's going to put those on her registry when she gets engaged because someone else will definitely buy these things for us. It feels so weird to ask our guests to help contribute any way to our ceremony or reception so I just bought then for ourselves. Should I have put these on our registry? 
BabyFruit Ticker

Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Ceremony / Reception items on registry

• I agree with you.  It's weird and impractical to register for things for the wedding.  

Buy them yourself and ignore your sister.  
  • hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I find it a little odd, but I have seen it a lot.  I definitely wouldn't do the unity candle, but I don't side eye cake knives and toasting flutes if they match the flatware and crystal  you're registering for in the first place.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited July 2012
    I'm on your side, it seems a little strange.
  • I don't think the toasting flutes & knife/server are that weird. Someone may buy them for your shower. If you haven't gotten them near the wedding date, then take them off & run to the store! We got ours as engagement presents, but if we hadn't I might have added them to my registry. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Go with your gut.

If you don't feel comfortable, don't put them on there.
  • EK2013EK2013 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited July 2012
    I have the feeling that someone who wants to get those things for you will anyway.
  • I've seen these things on there before, but then I feel like it's odd if you don't get it before the wedding.  You did the right thing.  

And, for the rest of the wedding, don't let someone push you to do something you don't want to do.  That's particularly true when it comes to the registry, but generally speaking you don't want to look back and wish you hadn't done something.
  • We added our cake server and knife set, and it was the first gift we received. We will definitely use the set after the wedding, so I don't see harm in it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    We added a cake serving set that matches the china we registered for because I would like to have it, if we get it before the wedding we will use it there, otherwise we won't.  We haven't received it, and our shower is Sunday.  I'm with PP, if someone wants to get you those items they're going to do it anyway.
  • I see cake servers and toasting flutes on registries all the time and they are usually the first thing that is purchased, but if you dont feel comfortable doing it, dont.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • If you don't want to do it, then don't.  These items will gather dust as soon as the wedding is over, so it's better to spend as little as possible.

We didn't buy any of those "special" items -- we just used what the reception hall provided.   It's just one more thing to worry about at the reception -- making sure someone is responsible for packing up your "treasures".

Just my opinion....
  • Definitely not the unity candle, thats not appropriate.. Toasting flutes and the knife I don't see an issue with. These are things you will use again. If you find ones you like, add them. I would actually be excited to buy those for someone.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards