Registry and Gift Forum

Three showers?!!

It looks like I'll be having three bridal showers -- one hosted by my FI's aunts for his side of the family; one hosted by my FI's church for his "church family;" and one hosted by my MOH and mom's friends for my side of the family, my friends and my co-workers.

I'm a little worried about this, because after we are married, my FI and I will be starting our lives in a very small apartment.  We already have some appliances, towels, etc.  I feel like we are going to get wayyy more gifts than we need or have room to use, and although we can always return them, I would like to be able to tell the kind gift-givers that I love their gift and use it on a regular basis.

My other concern is that by the time the last shower arrives, everything on the registry will already have been purchased for the first two showers, leaving the guests of the last shower without any great ideas of what to get us.  I'm especially concerned if that last shower happens to be the one for my friends and family, because a lot of my friends are on tight budgets and I was hoping a lot of the cheaper registry items would still be available so that they can get us something we'll like, without feeling like they have to spend a ton of money.  I guess I could do a "gift card" shower but then I feel like we're just basically soliciting money from people and taking away their creativity and real feeling of helping us start our life with something personal.

I also don't know when to register -- I feel like if I register in time to send out the invites for the first shower, by the time the last shower rolls around, half the items will have been discontinued!  Has anyone dealt with something like this before?  It's so nice of everyone to offer to throw showers for me, but geez...
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Three showers?!!

• Definitely don't do a gift card shower. 

You can always decline one of the showers, or talk to people about trying to combine them.  I liked having a mix of my family, FI's family, and friends at my shower.  But it's up to the hosts to determine if they can handle it.

As for registering, after your first shower you should go check your registry and make sure the things you received have been marked off, and see if you need to add any more items.  Perhaps you could leave off a handful of items and add them to the registry after your first shower.

Another idea is to have at least two registries and ask the hosts to only mention one of them to the shower guests. 

murrayed
  • Gift card showers are not appropriate.  But, if your registry is mostly bought out, people may give you gift cards to those stores anyway.  I agree with saving some of the items and adding more in between the showers.  And if some people have to come up with gifts on their own, so be it.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Just make sure you make that an option. Not all registries automatically give the gift card option when you create it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Hawaii with my best friend =)
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards