Registry and Gift Forum

Is it worth it?

I keep hearing from everyone how great Dyson vacuums are. Is this true? I want something that works great but I don't want anything bulky. I also want an upright vacuum. Is it worth the money and something I should put on a registry?
Wedding Countdown Ticker
image253 Invited
image123 Accepted
image53 Declined
image99 Leavin' Me hangin
RSVP Date: August 5, 2012

Re: Is it worth it?

• We had one at work, when they were a new thing/brand ... and we all hated it. The damn thing picked nothing up! I've heard they've gotten better, though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    140 invited -- 118 are ready to party! -- 27 can't make it

• There are cheaper options out there with the same technology. We opted out of a dyson and got a Shark  (Pet version) which works as well as my sister's dyson.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I think they work great! My mom has had one for 5 years and it hasn't lost suction at all. I've borrowed it when my vacuums broke and I loved it. I registered for the Dyson Animal. Just make sure you register for the Dyson ball if you do. My mom has the regular one and it is a little heavy.

• Love our Dyson. We have a 3,700sf house which is 70% carpeted (not my choice!) We have two cats and a dog that shed like crazy and the Dyson works great. Worth every penny IMO. I had an electrolux canister prior to Dyson and hated it!  

• I'm a fan of the shark - less than half the price and gets better reviews on amazon.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I also have the Shark (pet version).   It is the best vacuum I have ever used and it is way more reasonable. 
  • Another vote for the Shark. FMIL got it for us on sale, and it works very well.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

• DH loves our Dyson so much tha I'm not exaggerating when I say I haven't been the one to vacuum in a year and a half.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_is-it-worth-it?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:4b9a859a-f908-4aa9-9661-96d22a58ef0dPost:ec834d4e-bc4e-48ee-9ad6-7ba58c9c8020">Re: Is it worth it?</a>:
    [QUOTE]DH loves our Dyson so much tha I'm not exaggerating when I say I haven't been the one to vacuum in a year and a half.
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

This is actually very convincing...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image253 Invited
    image123 Accepted
    image53 Declined
    image99 Leavin' Me hangin
    RSVP Date: August 5, 2012
  • I also have a bissel I really like. Theres a thread a couple posts down about returning a shower gift, there's a few recs on vacuums in there as well and I linked my vacuum.
  • frantastic12frantastic12 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2012
    I have a Eureka SmartVac Pet Lover and I love it.  It had really good reviews on Consumer Reports, and was even rated above a couple of the more expensive Dysons.  I think it was around $150. 
  • lls31lls31 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    I absolutely LOVE my Dyson.  I have the DC25.  We have both hardwood and carpet and it's fantastic.  
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_is-it-worth-it?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:4b9a859a-f908-4aa9-9661-96d22a58ef0dPost:1ae42417-1c29-4126-a755-703580958802">Re:Is it worth it?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I also have a bissel I really like. Theres a thread a couple posts down about returning a shower gift, there's a few recs on vacuums in there as well and I linked my vacuum.
    Posted by TheSlowskys[/QUOTE]

I bought a Dyson many years ago (the one thats $399) and I loved it.  It worked fantastic.  I decided to purchase a new one on black friday (the $399 one again) and it is so cheaply made.  The old version was very sturdy and the new version is cheap flimsy plastic.  I am very dissapointed with the quality and probably will not buy another Dyson. 
  • I imagine Dyson makes some good products, but you may want to consider Riccar vacuums.  Great products and largely made in the USA.

• Shark all the way!! If for some reason you want to buy it yourself there are info commercials that offer you a free shark steam cleaner if you buy the vacuum.
  • We have the Dyson on the ball.  It's very easy to manuever.  It is awesome!  We have two cats, one of which is longhaired. The Dyson gets all the fur no problem.  It is expensive, but from the reviews we read, they last forever!
    Anniversary BFP: 3/5/13 EDD: 11/14/13 BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards