Registry and Gift Forum
Options

WWYD here?

After cancelling a 75 person wedding (due to a family illness), we are now eloping.  At the end of this month!  :)

My sister just learned of wedding plans today after a phone conversation with me.

She emails me to ask if we registered anywhere; she would like to get us something.  I did not get that far in the wedding planning back when we had a full wedding planned however.

Do I just flat out tell her what we could use?  No one has to get us gifts - we did not expect anything since we are eloping now, so it's quite unexpected. 

However, she has asked, and honestly we have one set of sheets.  Sheets would be nice.  I just feel weird actually verbalizing something we need/want in this situation.

WWYD?

Re: WWYD here?

• Options
    Not sure if your sister is into giving gift cards, but I think it's fine to say something like, "You know, we could use some new sheets and towels, but I haven't had a chance to decide exactly which ones yet..." (assuming you haven't).   I think in this situation I would prefer to get gift cards....but I know as I guest I don't normally like to give them (though in this situation I would).    
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    If someone asks what you want, it's fine to tell them.  Some people will still want to give you a gift even though they will not be invited to the wedding, and you should not feel bad about that.  I would try to give them a couple of options--not too many that you're reading off a list, but just to give them some variety.  Maybe let her know about the sheets (and what size) and maybe 1-2 other things you can think of.
  • Options
    If my sister asked, I would be straightforward with her and tell her you could use some sheets. There is such a variety in price points that she can then choose any sheets in her price range, so I think that's fine.

If anyone else asks, I agree with jessica--try to give them a couple of different ideas and let them go from there.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_wwyd-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:58a1359f-7c2f-4d78-b833-579324c229d2Post:bc291240-57fc-43db-ae0e-e93aaaddaaf8">Re: WWYD here?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If someone asks what you want, it's fine to tell them.  Some people will still want to give you a gift even though they will not be invited to the wedding, and you should not feel bad about that.  I would try to give them a couple of options--not too many that you're reading off a list, but just to give them some variety.  Maybe let her know about the <strong>coverings for your bed </strong>(and what size) and maybe 1-2 other things you can think of.
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]

<div>This. She has asked about a registry, so it would not be taboo to tell her specific things you would like.</div><div>
    </div><div>bolded: OMG, TK, back off. I can't quote the word sheetz?! Seriously!?</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_wwyd-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:58a1359f-7c2f-4d78-b833-579324c229d2Post:8ba4dfab-2c9b-4c04-a44a-27f4da7170a1">Re: WWYD here?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WWYD here? : This. She has asked about a registry, so it would not be taboo to tell her specific things you would like. bolded: OMG, TK, back off. I can't quote the word sheetz?! Seriously!?
    Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Aparently "shotz" (as in, photographs, or 1.5oz servings of booze) is out too.</div>
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    You could make a small one with a few things and dont mention it unless they asked. We ended up making a small registry early because people were asking where we were registered once we got engaged. 

Let them know if they ask and if your sister wants she can spread the word to the rest of your fam that you have a small registry online at target or something. Don't go hog wild, just necessitites but I think that's fine. I would just send cash since that seems most appropiate in my eye but I always think cash is appropiate. 
     :)
    May 2013 August Siggy: The Hair AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! NO idea! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Event though you are eloping people will still want to buy you gifts.  I would create a small registry and share the info with those who ask.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards