Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Southern Flair Photography ~ references needed!

I am thinking of using Southern Flair Photography based out of Arlington for my bridals and our wedding photos.  His prices are wonderful for what he offers but his website leaves much to be desired.  I wanted to find out if anyone has used them and what their opinion is.  Please be as honest as possible!
Or if you know of a reasonably priced photographer with great options then I'm all ears too.
Thanks so much!

P.S. I live in Austin but getting married in Dallas

Re: Southern Flair Photography ~ references needed!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I haven't heard of them so I cannot help there , sorry.

What is your photography budget? LOTS of good recs here that span the budget spectrum.
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, for $2500 I think you can do better.  It doesn't appear that includes a DVD of your images either.  Also, it looks like he does so many other things besides weddings.  There are so many great photographers in Dallas that focus mostly on weddings that I would go with over this company.  Three around that price point are Six Fourteen, McGowan Images, and Hillary Anne Photography.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto McGowan Images...they are amazing and were our wedding photographers.   They have an awesome website that leaves nothing to be desired.  You will love them.   :)

www.mcgowanimages.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!

We don't really want to spend more than $3000 and we want 2 photographers present.  Our ceremony and reception are 15 mins apart but we want someone to be taking wedding party photos after the ceremony and then another photographer to take detail photos and photos of the guests arriving at the reception.

Thanks for the Photographer suggestions, I'll look into them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    McGowan Images is a husband and wife team and will fit well within your budget.  Hope that helps!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I third McGowan Images!! For $3,000 you can get a ton of extras! They are a husband & wife team so you'll have 2 photographers. Their photo albums are really affordable too compared to some of the other photographers I researched.

I know Southern Flair is at every bridal show so I've seen them a few times and I didn't really care for their pictures. They were also really pushy when they would contact me afterwards.

I feel like McGowan Images & a lot of the other photographers the girls on here recommend are more about personal service than trying to get as much business as possible like the photogs at the bridal shows. I think really good vendors don't need to reach out that much with advertising/ being pushy. Word of mouth recommendations give them plenty of business when they are that good.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    winechic25winechic25 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I originally thought I wanted to put Southern Flair in my running list, but wasn't impressed with them either.  They are very old school, have barely just switched to digital (which makes sense as to why a dvd of the images might not be included) and they try to really sway you from the new style of albums, which I personally love. 

We went with Jenny Martell Photography, who I love, but that decision was made prior to me really researching on these boards.  They are awesome, but they are a bit more expensive. 

That said, I am using the McGowan Images for my boudair session this summer, and absolutely CAN NOT wait to work with Chelesa!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_southern-flair-photography-references-needed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:cc15dd3a-c3a9-435a-8a7a-d1f14a67145dPost:a272ff2c-c83f-42ae-a1a4-55bc2fcf3af0">Re: Southern Flair Photography ~ references needed!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We went with Jenny Martell Photography, who I love, but that decision was made prior to me really researching on these boards.  They are awesome, but they are a bit more expensive.  That said, I am using the McGowan Images for my boudair session this summer, and absolutely CAN NOT wait to work with Chelesa!
    Posted by winechic25[/QUOTE]

I LOVE Jenny Martell.  I looked into her but she wasn't available on my date.  I did B-pics with Chelsea and you'll love her!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just heard from McGowan and they are booked on my wedding date.  I hope y'all can keep giving me suggestions!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Here's my photog: http://stephaniebrazzle.com/ I think she raised her pricing in the new year, but tell her Wendi referred you and see what kind of deal she might be able to work out for you.
    ~DFWs Resident Snark~
    I'm not so good with the advice... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Lemin Studios.  It is also a husband/wife team.  I've really enjoyed working with them, they take some great pictures and would fit right into your budget!!  Our budget is similar to yours and we are getting 7 hours of coverage,2 photographers, engagement session (2 locations), an engagement album, an engagement video ( 2 copies) all rights to wedding day photos, $300 print credit.  I think there might be a few more things, I just can't think of them off the top of my head.

www.leminstudios.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I also really love Aves Photographic Design and Jeff Loftin (who is based in Austin I think). Two Knotties from last year used them and their pics were incredible. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I would fourth Mcgowan images but since they arent available you may want to consider, aves, sixfourteen as both have a similar style and have gotten great reviews for the price point you are looking for.

• Options
    juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    SixFourteen is awesome!
  • Options
    MLandCJMLandCJ member
    edited December 2011
    I just did my e-pics with sixfourteen photography and LOVED LOVED LOVED them!

Colton was AMAZING!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    winechic25winechic25 member
    edited December 2011
    @stephie~ so glad to to hear about your b-session!  Woohoo!
  • Options
    crash2729crash2729 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_southern-flair-photography-references-needed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:cc15dd3a-c3a9-435a-8a7a-d1f14a67145dPost:3644828b-15d8-419e-a197-fbd4b42390ad">Southern Flair Photography ~ references needed!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am thinking of using Southern Flair Photography based out of Arlington for my bridals and our wedding photos.  His prices are wonderful for what he offers but his website leaves much to be desired.  I wanted to find out if anyone has used them and what their opinion is.  Please be as honest as possible! Or if you know of a reasonably priced photographer with great options then I'm all ears too. Thanks so much! P.S. I live in Austin but getting married in Dallas
    Posted by JenniferLeighS[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about using them too. But they have mixed reviews online and also when I looked at some of the pictures on the website..sometimes the lighting was off, or the people just looked so uncomfortable and fake! Also, they shoot your e-pics with digital and then you're wedding is with film (from a review I read). That just makes me uncomfortable!

I have looked at Tru Identity...I really like her work, she has reviews on weddingwire/weddingbee
  • Options
    SeanchrysSeanchrys member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are wanting great pictures without spending a ton of money check out these too:

Nine Photography www.ninephotography.com
    Daniel C Photography www.DanielCPhotography.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ohh I second (or maybe 3rd?)  Aves!!  ..and SixFourteen too!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you meet with Southern Flair then ask them about the "dead bride" story. Trust me you will never go with them if you know what they did to that poor family. THe fact they even use it in a meeting is beyond me. Plus you don't get your photos unless you pay an extra $750. I didn't like them at ALL.

I went with a small kind of new photographer, but I love her. Just to plug her. Monica Salazar. She may be new but her work is great.
    http://monicasalazarphotography.com
    If you talk to her you can use me as a reference. Just say Deepthi sent you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmm I wanna hear this story Deepthi!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards