Registry and Gift Forum

Can I cash an early wedding gift check?

We received a check from one of our guests who can't make it, should I cash it or wait til the date, which is about a month and a half away?

Please be nice some ppl can get so nasty on here!

Re: Can I cash an early wedding gift check?

• I would go ahead and cash it, but write the thank you note before you do :). Mostly because it drives me insane when I write someone a check and they wait 3 months to cash it, I'm super neurotic about my checkbook.
  • definitely deposit it/cash it. If you wait, they may forget about it (if they're like me!) and then when you go to cash it the funds won't be there. The only reason I would wait is if they post-dated it, for your wedding date or closer to it. Which I doubt. So go ahead and spend away! (And write that thank-you card :))
    September 2011 December Siggy: First Kiss
    imagePregnancy Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Blog!
  • Yep, deposit it and send a thank you asap -- like PPs said, I would prefer you deposit it sooner than wait a few months and I forget about it until it pulls from my account 
  • It would be best not to use the money until after your wedding, so put it in your savings account or somewhere where you won't touch it, but definitely deposit it now and write a thank you note.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_can-cash-early-wedding-gift-check?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:5c2903bf-6271-4125-b362-1ed364ed8874Post:675af23d-e2f9-4ba2-892d-dbf14cc87bf5">Re: Can I cash an early wedding gift check?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would go ahead and cash it, but write the thank you note before you do :). Mostly because it drives me insane when I write someone a check and they wait 3 months to cash it, I'm super neurotic about my checkbook.
    Posted by GeauxTigers17[/QUOTE]

This. no one likes knowing they have a check floating around somewhere.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Deposit, write the thank you, stash the money in a savings account and wait to use it until after the wedding.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Thanks ladies!!
  • Write and send the thank you note first, and then deposit it.  It is more appropriate to show thanks for a gift before using it, and this way you avoid looking tacky.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • JCM10JCM10 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Write and mail the thank you, then cash the check. Definitely don't wait to cash it...someone waited 3 months to cash one of mine once (after about a month I forgot to watch for it to go through) and I ended up overdrawing my account...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards