Registry and Gift Forum

Registry Etiquette??

My fiance and I live in Guam but we're getting married in my home state of Minnesota.  Any gift we receive has to be either physically carried or shipped to Guam and will likewise have to be carried or shipped back to the mainland in a few years when we leave Guam. We have exactly two options on island for gift cards:  Kmart or Macys and again, anything we purchase here has to be hauled back with us when we leave.  How should we address gifts/registries?  We're not fans of the honeymoon registry sites and think it's tacky to ask for cash...at the same time, we don't want to have to spend the time and money shipping everything twice.  Thoughts??

Re: Registry Etiquette??

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registry-etiquette-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:5eb58849-a580-44ed-9e37-1bb544a5e6c2Post:e819d2b9-28a1-4c7a-aa42-1d4f442a61ae">Registry Etiquette??</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I live in Guam but we're getting married in my home state of Minnesota.  Any gift we receive has to be either physically carried or shipped to Guam and will likewise have to be carried or shipped back to the mainland in a few years when we leave Guam. We have exactly two options on island for gift cards:  Kmart or Macys and again, anything we purchase here has to be hauled back with us when we leave.  How should we address gifts/registries?  We're not fans of the honeymoon registry sites and think it's tacky to ask for cash...at the same time, we don't want to have to spend the time and money shipping everything twice.  Thoughts??
    Posted by guampanda[/QUOTE]
    I would just not register and if anyone asks let them know that since you're in Guam now, you're saving for when you guys come back to the mainland in the next few years.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • The fact that you might be moving out of Guam is irrelevant because no guest should be expected to think "a few years" in advance. That information is superfluous, IMO.

As for the fact that you are currently living in Guam but marrying elsewhere....
    People are usually smart enough to know that any gift they bring to your wedding will then have to be shipped elsewhere by you. Most people are usually clever enough to send the gift straight to your address in Guam or write you a check that you can cash when you get to Guam.
    Remember, as much as you don't want to have the added expense of shipping charges, neither do your guests. You don't want to put the burden onto them. And they probably are aware that they dont' want it, either.

• Thanks for the advice!
  • Are you guys military?

If so, there are a lot of retailers who will ship to APO -- I know BB&B and Target do, but not sure about Macy's.    You could have things shipped to your APO address, then the military will ship things back when you PCS back to the states (as long as you're not over your weight allowance).  

If you're not military and APO shipping isn't an option, then I would simply not register for gifts.  People who you invite to the wedding should know you well enough to know your situation, and will probably just give you cash.  Your family can help spread the word if they are asked about your gift registries.

The other option would be to register at Macy's. If guests brings gifts to the wedding, you can just take them back to Macy's in Minnesota and return them for cash or a gift card, then when you get back to Guam go to Macy's and re-purchase the item.

You could also see if your family can store some gift items for you until you get back to the States, or perhaps get a small rental unit yourself.
    DSC_9275
  • If it were me, I'd just do a small registry at Macy's for basic little things that you need (sheets, towels, small gadgets). If you already have some appliances and such, I wouldn't register for those because then if you move in a few years, you'd feel compelled to take them with you, rather than toss the old ones you have. That way you still get a few items. Perhaps those who also live in Guam may want to give you something.

Really, though, I can't imagine someone not realizing that since you have to travel post wedding, cash would be best. 
  • You can share this information on your wedding website.  I'd also bet your nearest and dearest are already thinking along these lines.
    June 2012 Siggy Challenge - Wedding Shoes - Which ones?
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registry-etiquette-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:5eb58849-a580-44ed-9e37-1bb544a5e6c2Post:d625e668-e11f-4b16-8e3b-07738ed19ff2">Re: Registry Etiquette??</a>:
    [QUOTE]If it were me, I'd just do a small registry at Macy's for basic little things that you need (sheets, towels, small gadgets). If you already have some appliances and such, I wouldn't register for those because then if you move in a few years, you'd feel compelled to take them with you, rather than toss the old ones you have. That way you still get a few items. Perhaps those who also live in Guam may want to give you something. Really, though, I can't imagine someone not realizing that since you have to travel post wedding, cash would be best. 
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]

This.
    Lizzie
  • A few years is still a long time, and I'm sure you'd get plenty of use out of the things you register for. 

I guess if you're going to be moving such a long distance in a few years anywhere, what's a few more boxes?

I would do a registry like you would for any other situation.
  • Unlike some of the other posters, I can see where you are coming from not wanting to get a bunch of things that you will have to move or toss later.  If you are military, there's a limit to how much stuff you can move.  I personally would not feel good asking for nice gifts knowing many of them may have to be tossed in a few years!  How wasteful!  I do think that Avion22 had a good idea to have things you will want to keep for a long time stored for you on the mainland.  You may have to wait to use them, but it will make it much easier to use them for a lifetime :)

~Katy
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards