Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Custom gift registry

Anyone used/using a custom registry? It never occurred to me that Victoria's Secret doesn't have a registry and none of the places we've registered with will allow you add items other than household stuff, at least not online.I'd like to do a custom registry for lingerie (for my bridal shower) and possibly honeymoon items. I just did some research online and it seems that a good amount of them make your guests THINK they are buying you a gift but in reality they are just sending you cash value of the gift.Any suggestions?

Re: Custom gift registry

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_custom-gift-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:6cb22741-8d0c-4ffa-9fa5-a2e69ba043b9Post:23f32a79-ea81-4ea4-b74d-a463f6e3f8b6">Custom gift registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]Anyone used/using a custom registry? It never occurred to me that Victoria's Secret doesn't have a registry and none of the places we've registered with will allow you add items other than household stuff, at least not online. I'd like to do a custom registry for lingerie (for my bridal shower) and possibly honeymoon items. I just did some research online and it seems that a good amount of them make your guests THINK they are buying you a gift but in reality they are just sending you cash value of the gift. Any suggestions?
    Posted by jbplanner[/QUOTE]

<div>For things like lingerie just make sure your MOH/BMs know your size and maybe hope things come with a gift receipt.</div>
  • Options
    Why is that Sleeper?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_custom-gift-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:6cb22741-8d0c-4ffa-9fa5-a2e69ba043b9Post:6375931e-9f6f-4718-b8e9-2a0d95c506ca">Re: Custom gift registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why is that Sleeper?
    Posted by jbplanner[/QUOTE]

It's kind of creepy to buy other peoples' sex clothes for them.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Target will let you register for lingerie.  I know a girl who did this.  The result?  She didn't get anything at all from that registry (including normal items) because it weirded her guets out.  Seriously, seeing the various cheeky panties and thongs she put on there was sort of like a train wreck.  I kind of hate that I know what size she wears.

If you are having a lingerie shower, your hostesses will write your size on the invitation and that's that.  Personally, I don't want other people knowing my size, and I'm actually really picky when it comes to lingerie so I usually just buy my own.

Personally, I won't buy lingerie for another woman - it's just weird to me.  I'd get you candles or a robe or something.  I did receive two pieces of lingerie from my MOH for my shower, and the whole thing was weird.  I opened them the night before because I had a suspicion that's what she sent (she swore up and down I could open it at the shower, even though FI's mom was there).  Every other item at my shower was a household item.  If I had opened her gift there it would have been incredibly awkward.  I probably won't even use it because it's not to my taste, and I had already bought my own wedding night lingerie that I love.  It was a nice thought, but I don't really do sequins...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I had a lingerie shower and I really enjoy them, but I would find it very strange if someone registered for lingerie. It was fun seeing what people picked out.
  • Options
    Eeek, please don't. I would be so weirded out if I saw someone register for lacy panties and a corset. Gross.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    PLEASE don't put lingerie on your registry.

I had a lingerie shower at my b-party. My MOH asked for my sizes and let the other girls attending know in case they wanted to buy me that stuff. That is not the same as putting it on a registry that my co-workers, grandma, and Uncle Bob are going to view. Yuck.

And you are right in regards to HM registries: guests are not actually buying you a romantic dinner, couples massage, or snorkeling trip; they are paying a website (which takes a chunk of the money), who in turn writes you a check minus their cut. I'd skip it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    My mom is still freaked out on the idea of a lingerie shower because a few years ago a family friend of ours (girl I grew up with) had a lingerie bridal shower and it freaked my mom out to buy someone lingerie; especially someone who was in a way like a daughter when we were growing up--so she bought her bathing suit instead. 

Only lingerie shower I attended I got the bride a gift card, again because even the idea was so weird "shopping" for her lingerie.  I'd die if my mother or FMIL bought me lingerie and I had to open it in front of a bunch of people.  

If you really want one and are OK with idea then just put your size and hope for a gift card to buy your own.   

Anniversary
  • Options

I also think that don’t put lingeries on your registry. That can be bought on your own.  It can be a weird situation when your personal stuff is presented in front of others.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards