Registry and Gift Forum

Registering for non-specific stores...

My fiance and I really don't need to register for small appliances, towels, bedding, etc., We more less would like a new livingroom set and Money for a nice honeymoon.
So, more or less - we are asking for cash, not gift cards. Is this okay to do these days and how would you do it?

Re: Registering for non-specific stores...

• Don't register and when asked tell people you are saving up for new furniture or a honeymoon (but please do NOT set up a honeymoon registry).  People will get the hint that you want cash.  If you don't register you should also decline all requests for a shower.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registering-non-specific-stores?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:6d19343b-9b86-4205-9e27-dbcde3afadb7Post:e0b4cc4f-276e-407c-8e72-eb94df8b3ff7">Re: Registering for non-specific stores...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Don't register and when asked tell people you are saving up for new furniture or a honeymoon (but please do NOT set up a honeymoon registry).  People will get the hint that you want cash.  If you don't register you should also decline all requests for a shower.
    Posted by strlzfan11[/QUOTE]

This is very good advice. Just don't register.
  • eh, I disagree.  I would still register or people might just buy you stuff you don't want.  

I would just use a more "unique" wedding registry before I would use the above. 

That way you can register for "stuff" so it isn't just asking for money, but things like furniture, house itms, I even registered for paint!  But in the end, you just cash out and get money, which is what you really want, but it isn't as obvious in my opinion.   

www.uponourstar.com is who I decided to use, it has been super easy and fun so far, you can pretty much add all kinds of unique things that would let people feel like they are buying you a gift, it is different then just asking for money for a honeymoon in my opinion.  

Good luck! 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registering-non-specific-stores?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:6d19343b-9b86-4205-9e27-dbcde3afadb7Post:2dbcaad3-be15-4bb3-9033-1a647fba534f">Re: Registering for non-specific stores...</a>:
    [QUOTE]eh, I disagree.  I would still register or people might just buy you stuff you don't want.   I would just use a more "unique" wedding registry before I would use the above.    That way you can register for "stuff" so it isn't just asking for money, but things like furniture, house itms, I even registered for paint!  But in the end, you just cash out and get money, which is what you really want, but it isn't as obvious in my opinion.      <a href="http://www.uponourstar.com" rel="nofollow">www.uponourstar.com</a> is who I decided to use, it has been super easy and fun so far, you can pretty much add all kinds of unique things that would let people feel like they are buying you a gift, it is different then just asking for money for a honeymoon in my opinion.     Good luck! 
    Posted by NattyGal31[/QUOTE]

*Face palm*

This is terrible advice.  Seriously, don't do this!  It's deceiving.  Just do what the first poster told you to do, people will hopefully get the idea. 
    By the way, is this person a vendor?  The wording looks an awful lot like a post a vendor would make...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registering-non-specific-stores?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:6d19343b-9b86-4205-9e27-dbcde3afadb7Post:183786a9-33f1-403d-96ca-f70600ba8d36">Re: Registering for non-specific stores...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Registering for non-specific stores... : *Face palm* This is terrible advice.  Seriously, don't do this!  It's deceiving.  Just do what the first poster told you to do, people will hopefully get the idea.  By the way, is this person a vendor?  The wording looks an awful lot like a post a vendor would make...
    Posted by DanielleM01[/QUOTE]

Yup, sounds like a vendor. That person seems to always post about the same website and no other posts.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registering-non-specific-stores?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:6d19343b-9b86-4205-9e27-dbcde3afadb7Post:2dbcaad3-be15-4bb3-9033-1a647fba534f">Re: Registering for non-specific stores...</a>:
    [QUOTE]eh, I disagree.  I would still register or people might just buy you stuff you don't want.   I would just use a more "unique" wedding registry before I would use the above.    That way you can register for "stuff" so it isn't just asking for money, but things like furniture, house itms, I even registered for paint!  But in the end, you just cash out and get money, which is what you really want, but it isn't as obvious in my opinion.      <a href="http://www.uponourstar.com" rel="nofollow">www.uponourstar.com</a> is who I decided to use, it has been super easy and fun so far, you can pretty much add all kinds of unique things that would let people feel like they are buying you a gift, it is different then just asking for money for a honeymoon in my opinion.     Good luck! 
    Posted by NattyGal31[/QUOTE]

WTF!  What is wrong with people? 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registering-non-specific-stores?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:6d19343b-9b86-4205-9e27-dbcde3afadb7Post:9be171d8-fe05-4c4d-a203-2ddff92d8211">Re: Registering for non-specific stores...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Let me just premise this by saying that I personally am just registered at BBB and Target for traditional items.  And I don't think I'd personally ever ask for HM money or cash... But....I feel like the brides who really have no use for traditional housewares and things are unfairly given a lot of flack on this website. I know that I am in the minority on this, but I am just not understanding why telling guests who ask about gifts that you would prefer money or why registering for honeymoons, etc. is so wrong.   A wedding gift is not mandatory...so it's not like you're making a demand for money.  It's just informing someone who has already chosen to spend money on you that cash rather than, say, a toaster would be really appreciated. Moreover, it's not considered rude for someone to give cash...so why is it not okay to "register" for something like a honeymoon, etc. or tell a guest who asks that you would prefer cash?  I can understand that in the days before gift registries that asking for cash would be tacky because you'd know exactly how much the person spent on you. But gift registries have changed all that.  Guests can't remove the proverbial price tag from registry gifts because the bride and groom who registered know exactly how much the Waterford gravy boat or the Riedel burgundy glass cost.... I guess I just don't understand why this is such a problem.   I suspect that "traditional" gift registries were viewed with just as much animosity as HM registries and the like back when they were first created.  I am not a cash monger or anything. <strong> </strong>I just think that gift registries (that no one seems to have a problem with) are just as bad as "honeymoon" registries... <strong>Both are just directing the purchases of a guest who wants to give a gift. </strong>
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

Progress takes time.  In a few years this idea probably won't be met with such hostility.  BUT I agree with you, that if someone <strong>asks </strong>what you want then you should be honest with them (since we all know how much everyone on this post appreciates honesty).  If you truely want money for your honeymoon you shouldn't lie to the person asking by telling them you want a set of towels or silverware like your grandmother would have done.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards