Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

I need venue HELP!!

I got engaged 2 weeks ago and we've started looking at wedding venues (ceremony & reception together) in the DFW area. We've been to two already that we love but they are on the high end and may stretch our budget thin. I want to make sure I'm not missing out on any venues that are cheaper and just as nice. Our wedding budget is $15,000 - $20,000 and we will probably have between 150 -200 guests.

To get a special on the place we like the most we have to book by Wednesday so if you have any suggestions on ceremony & reception venues PLEASE let me know!!

Re: I need venue HELP!!

• Options
    angelsong21angelsong21 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is a vendor sticky at the top of this board -- definitely check it out!  There should be plenty of venues in this area that fall within your price point.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What kind of venue do you like?
  • Options
    AshJohnson30AshJohnson30 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

My fiancé is an architect so any venues with nice architectural details. Places that don't need much decoration and is semi-formal and traditional. I hope my explanation helped!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_need-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:cd63e981-efba-4015-a3c8-45baad2eacefPost:36eb4604-a7fa-46de-b411-cbd59e7ec62d">Re: I need venue HELP!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]There is a vendor sticky at the top of this board -- definitely check it out!  There should be plenty of venues in this area that fall within your price point.
    Posted by angelsong21[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I checked out the vendor lists and it was pretty helpful.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_need-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:cd63e981-efba-4015-a3c8-45baad2eacefPost:0580c169-47bb-49a6-9cd7-a2b8ab7ca310">Re: I need venue HELP!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I need venue HELP!! : Thanks! I checked out the vendor lists and it was pretty helpful.
    Posted by AshJohnson30[/QUOTE]

Sure!  If you need more help, feel free to ask more questions.  I'm not sure if you have a specific area of DFW you are looking at, but we are getting married in Plano at Reflections on Spring Creek and their prices would fit your budget and it also has a more traditional feel like you mentioned above.

Are you looking for an all-inclusive venue or more of a DIY venue?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Piazza in the Villiage is nice, they have a pretty chapel and then ballroom for the recpetion.  It is around 10K though, but I think that pretty much includes everything.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_need-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:cd63e981-efba-4015-a3c8-45baad2eacefPost:ab46083e-ccab-440e-bfdd-e04256511966">Re: I need venue HELP!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Piazza in the Villiage is nice, they have a pretty chapel and then ballroom for the recpetion.  It is around 10K though, but I think that pretty much includes everything.  
    Posted by jaberjamie[/QUOTE]

I don't know that the Piazza could hold 200 people though. 

Which two venues are you looking at right now?  If you tell us those two, we may have additional information about them (not a guarantee but you never know). 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah I am not sure if they could or not... I didn't really ask when I went there bc I knew I was having a small wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_need-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:cd63e981-efba-4015-a3c8-45baad2eacefPost:3dd03572-b414-46b8-922a-de2c9da8ea00">Re: I need venue HELP!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah I am not sure if they could or not... I didn't really ask when I went there bc I knew I was having a small wedding.

Their chapel seats 275 per their website so I would assume their grand ballroom must also hold that many people.  Their village ballroom, however, is too small -- I think it said it only holds 120 people.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_need-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:cd63e981-efba-4015-a3c8-45baad2eacefPost:ab46083e-ccab-440e-bfdd-e04256511966">Re: I need venue HELP!!</a>:
    [QUOTE].  It is <strong>around 10K though</strong>, but I think that pretty much includes everything.  

Kathleen, correct me if I am wrong - this is way off for the big ballroom (to hold as many as she needs) yes?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You could check out Cityplace Tower.  On the 42nd floor, they have a loft space and a ballroom space, so you get some options for the look you want.  The ballroom (which is where I'm having my reception) has a $10,000 F&B minimum, and with your guest count you could easily get a lot of really awesome food.
    Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The Piazza i can gaurantee is way more than 10k I still have their papers and stuff they gave me. I am having only about 100 people so I would be in the village ballroom and that was going to run us 10 k the food and beverage min for the villiage ballroom is 6,000. for you the grand ballroom will be more than 10k for sure. Beautiful beautiful place. But I could not afford it and they are strict on times bc they do two weddings a day. Sometimes more from what they told me. If i had a bigger budget i would def get married there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_need-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:cd63e981-efba-4015-a3c8-45baad2eacefPost:40eda4fc-9810-481b-91b4-6f28c4e90db3">Re: I need venue HELP!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]The Piazza i can gaurantee is way more than 10k I still have their papers and stuff they gave me. I am having only about 100 people so I would be in the village ballroom and that was going to run us 10 k the food and beverage min for the villiage ballroom is 6,000. for you the grand ballroom will be more than 10k for sure. <strong>Beautiful beautiful place. But I could not afford i</strong>t and they are strict on times bc they do two weddings a day. <strong>Sometimes more from what they told me. If i had a bigger budget i would def get married there.</strong>
    Posted by sbrown1809[/QUOTE]

I agree -- it is beautiful and I would have LOVED to have gotten married there if we could have afforded it.  I didn't even let myself have a consult there because I knew if I saw it, it would be soooo tempting to go over budget!

We are getting married at Refections on Spring Creek, which still has a fairly traditional look and holds 200 people.  We are getting married there on a Friday night, and that night they have a $3900 food and beverage minimum + $1250 to rent the facility.  It includes pretty much everything except photographer, florist, cakes, and DJ.  All in total (including the 20% gratuity and taxes) it is costing us $7100. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

You all are amazing!! :-)

We've looked at Ashton Gardens, The Piazza and Mediterranean Villa. All range between $15K and $18K and we'd still need attire, photographer/videographer, florist, cakes, paper, accessories and a DJ. I've had a few married friends tell me that those places are way too much so I'm not sure if we could fit the venue and everything else into a $20K budget.

I'm open to all-inclusive or DIY as long as the ceremony and the reception can be in the same venue (we have a lot of people from out of state coming).

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_need-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:cd63e981-efba-4015-a3c8-45baad2eacefPost:73103da5-011a-4b0e-bac2-6992de40640f">Re: I need venue HELP!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I need venue HELP!! : I agree -- it is beautiful and I would have LOVED to have gotten married there if we could have afforded it.  I didn't even let myself have a consult there because I knew if I saw it, it would be soooo tempting to go over budget! We are getting married at Refections on Spring Creek, which still has a fairly traditional look and holds 200 people.  We are getting married there on a Friday night, and that night they have a $3900 food and beverage minimum + $1250 to rent the facility.  It includes pretty much everything except photographer, florist, cakes, and DJ.  All in total (including the 20% gratuity and taxes) it is costing us $7100. 
    Posted by angelsong21[/QUOTE]

Do they offer an indoor ceremony or just outdoor?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_need-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:cd63e981-efba-4015-a3c8-45baad2eacefPost:f9ae5f25-f3e9-4c32-8a68-8a1f31bb77e5">Re: I need venue HELP!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I need venue HELP!! : Do they offer an indoor ceremony or just outdoor?

Most people do indoor there, actually, but we are hoping to do outdoor...so they offer both. :)

ETA:  Their website is kind of outdated, but they do still have some good info on there.  I would be happy to e-mail you some pics I have taken there if you'd like. Just PM me your e-mail address.

I also REALLY love The Annex (I think that's the name of it) in downtown Dallas.  Really cool space in pictures at least.  I think by the time you rent the facility and such it would be around the same price or a little more for the full dinner, rental fees, etc.  It's a mix between DIY and all-inclusive there, I think.

Also there's The Orchard (new venue) and A&M Gardens in Azle.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    To be honest, I wouldn't book a venue that left so little for so many things. (The ones you're originally looking at, not the ones PP have suggested.) Attire, photographer/videographer, florist, cakes, paper, accessories and a DJ ... I spent about 7k on those things. And there are always extra expenses you didn't budget for / count on that crop up close to the wedding.

And unless you're having a really short engagement, I also wouldn't rush to book a venue for a "deal." (Unless they have a cancellation policy that gives you all your money back this far out). I know I'd second-guess myself if I wasn't absolutely sure, but went ahead and booked the place. Especially if it was cutting close to my budget.

I had my reception at the YWCA in downtown Fort Worth within your budget. I got married in our church, but they do have a beatiful space there for ceremonies. MLandCJ recently had her wedding and reception there also. It's only if you can get your guest list to 150 or thereabouts, though. I think the T&P Station in Fort Worth is beautiful for a larger guest count. Both are DIY venues and I definitely recommend a wedding planner/DOC to help you coordinate it all. (Which I had, and still stayed within your 15-20k range).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_need-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:cd63e981-efba-4015-a3c8-45baad2eacefPost:6df10f36-1e2e-4025-9ee6-4926f0ba7e17">Re: I need venue HELP!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]To be honest, I wouldn't book a venue that left so little for so many things. (The ones you're originally looking at, not the ones PP have suggested.) Attire, photographer/videographer, florist, cakes, paper, accessories and a DJ ... I spent about 7k on those things. And there are always extra expenses you didn't budget for / count on that crop up close to the wedding. And unless you're having a really short engagement, I also wouldn't rush to book a venue for a "deal." (Unless they have a cancellation policy that gives you all your money back this far out). I know I'd second-guess myself if I wasn't absolutely sure, but went ahead and booked the place. Especially if it was cutting close to my budget. I had my reception at the YWCA in downtown Fort Worth within your budget. I got married in our church, but they do have a beatiful space there for ceremonies. MLandCJ recently had her wedding and reception there also. It's only if you can get your guest list to 150 or thereabouts, though. I think the T&P Station in Fort Worth is beautiful for a larger guest count. Both are DIY venues and I definitely recommend a wedding planner/DOC to help you coordinate it all. (Which I had, and still stayed within your 15-20k range).
    Posted by MarieSD[/QUOTE]

We aren't getting married until September 2012 BUT i'm an accountant and I don't want to plan a wedding during our busy season. So that cuts out a good four months of planning for me. I wanted to have most of my vendors decided by December and a venue picked by Sept/Oct so I can send save the dates.

Were any of your additional items DIY? I don't really like flowers so I don't plan on spending much there and I've found some reasonably priced save the dates/invitiations. If $7K is reasonable for all of those extras I will have to either decrease our number of guests or search out more venues.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_need-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:cd63e981-efba-4015-a3c8-45baad2eacefPost:3a89011c-7c7c-4b34-87d1-155a4f90713e">Re: I need venue HELP!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I need venue HELP!! : We aren't getting married until September 2012 BUT i'm an accountant and I don't want to plan a wedding during our busy season. So that cuts out a good four months of planning for me. I wanted to have most of my vendors decided by December and a venue picked by Sept/Oct so I can send save the dates. Were any of your additional items DIY? I don't really like flowers so I don't plan on spending much there and I've found some reasonably priced save the dates/invitiations. If $7K is reasonable for all of those extras I will have to either decrease our number of guests or search out more venues.

I really do understand wanting to book things ahead of time --  I booked all our vendors over a year before our wedding since that's when I had the time (between jobs). I just don't want you to rush because the venue. to me, was such an important aspect! (Of course, the ones you're looking at are gorgeous, so you can't go wrong there. But money-wise ... that's 100% of your low-end budget! That is definitely going to increase your costs.)

I hope I'm not being a downer. I just want to caution you as someone that doubled my initial budget (10k), despite trying to find the most cost-effective vendors. I know how it happens.

Here's an approximate of those things I spent on (asterisk if it's something you might not do):
    Dress $650
    Alterations $150*
    Veil, hair comb/headband $300*
    DJ: $1200 (a small splurge; good DJs can be as inexpensive as $650)
    Flower bouquets: $350 (A very good price; my BM bouquets were $16 each)
    Flower centerpieces: $650 (also very good price; very small and simple)
    DOC: $1000*
    Photographer: $2000
    Videographer: $750 (This is one of the best prices I've found)
    Groom's tux rental: $150*
    Cakes: $750 ($2.00 per slice, the lower end price-wise)
    Invitations: $150 (Vistaprint, for 150 guests)
    Photo guest book from Mixbooks.com: $50*
    Shoes: $30*

That totals $8180. And honestly, I rounded down for some of those numbers. I didn't do anything DIY, but a family friend who likes flowers did the flowers at pretty much wholesale cost, I think. I got the least expensive invitations, videographer, and cakes I could find and also spent relatively a low amount on my dress and alterations. I know lots of ladies have gotten better deals than what I listed here ... but I also think that I paid close to the lower end of these things.
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011

Just curious--what is the one you like most?  If you can get some sort of special on AG or Piazza, those are both beautiful venues.

The Filter Building at White Rock would be an option if you were closer to 150.  Also The Old Red Courthouse is one of my favorite buildings ever--if I had known when we were planning you could get married there, that would have been it.  It doesn't have an outdoor ceremony option however.

$20k was our original budget also but our venue took 3/4 of that so we upped our budget once we saw what the venue we wanted cost.  I think MarieSD's budget could certainly used as a good guide, especially since her wedding was so recent.  And there are certainly ways to save in all areas.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you thought about doing a place like a wedding chapel that only provides the venue? Wedding chapel rentals range from 3 grand to about 5 grand from what i have seen usual people do those for small budgets and lots of DIY. I am getting married at the Northeast Wedding Chapel in Hurst and my budget 12,000 for our whole wedding but i am doing a lot of DIY. Wefound a dj for 595 cake for about 85-95 people for 425 and all we need is a food caterer. So if your budget is 20k then thats something i would think about, it might be easier to budget and you can be picker on food and not have to do meet a $4000 food and drink min. If you find your own caterer who does meals for about 14-16 pp then you would be doing like 3200 for food and most chapels say you can bring your own beer and liquor and stuff like that. I chose a chapel bc i wanted to be free to DIY the wedding and decorations and stuff like that...just a thought though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    MarieSD - I definitely don't take it as you being a downer! I have no clue what is reasonable cause although i've been in and to many weddings i've never had to plan them. I think I will take more time and look at other venues and go from there.

stephiehall - I will look more into the Old Red Courthouse

sbrown1809 - I didn't really think about that as an option but I have heard about the Northeast Wedding Chapel so I'll do some research on them.

BIG thank you to everyone that's responded so far! its been an extreme help!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

What day do you want to get married on? Reason I ask is because at the Piazza, the chapel and grand ballroom is 3k for both (1500 each). I know you were saying you would do the village ballroom, I'm not sure how much that would be. When we booked last year, it wasn't even in the works yet (I don't think).

Also, I know you mentioned your guest count to be between 150-200. The chapel there alone holds 300 as well as the ballroom. My wedding on Saturday will have around 125-130 which I think is a good amount for the ballroom. You have to consider tables, DJ, dance floor, etc. I've watched 4 Weddings where the reception area was a little too small. Plus one nice thing is that they do in house catering. IDK who you spoke with there, but Robin gave me a vendor list. Those that are on there usually give discounts!

• Options
    fryer2012fryer2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

This is just my opinion... but I woudn't book a place if there was a "special" that expired on a certain day and I'd only been engaged for 2 weeks.  We changed our mind many times on venues before we actually booked and I am SO thankful we didn't jump to anything.  If someone is already pressuring you to book now because of a "special" I would RUN, not walk away from that venue.  IMHO.

Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    BoLuvsChrisBoLuvsChris member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The northeast chapel is extremely affordable becuase there is no restriction on vendors, you can bring your own food and alcohol! But it was out for me be uase they  dont allow liqour or candles. Also there are only two bathroom stalls for all the guests! I went and saw YWCA today and they are affordable as well. Its a very old and beautiful historic building...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am having my ceremony and reception at the Stoneleigh Hotel for our December 2012 wedding. We were able to get the downstairs ballroom for both ceremony and reception for a 6500 food and bev minumum (the penthouse is 12k). A large number of our guests will be coming in from out of town and I wanted to make things as easy as possible. Have you thought about hotel options? It's a great way to avoid rental fees since you will be paying for food and bev anyways, discounted room rates and makes decorating alot easier.

www.stoneleighhotel.com

• Options
    edited December 2011
    meghanttu08 - We are looking at Fridays since they are cheaper. When we went to the Piazza for a tour they were set up for a wedding of about 200 and it seemed like enough room for everything to be comfortably set up. I spoke with Robin too!! She’s so nice and helpful!

Fryer2012 - Yea they do monthly specials and that was this month’s. 5 days is way too fast to make a decision so we are still looking at other venues and will prob make our decision the first of SeptemberBoLuvsChris - I looked at the Northeast Chapel but it didn’t really fit our needs either. A couple of people have suggested the YWCA so I’ll look into that.VintageGlamourBride - I have looked at a few hotels but not the Stoneleigh. Thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love the Stoneleigh and considered it but it wasn't available on my date.  My boss was married there in the Penthouse and as guests we really enjoyed it.  It has lots of beautiful places for photographs as well.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ash,

Did you find a venue??
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards