Registry and Gift Forum
Options

gift cards on registry

I know it's very rude to ask for money, but I've seen many registries that include a gift card to the store the registry is at. Is that under the "asking for money" category? I think if you register at a store people would just assume you would also enjoy a giftcard to there without you specificly putting it on your registry.
Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
imageimageimage

Re: gift cards on registry

• Options
    I don't get offended by gift cards on registries the way I do about honeymoon/cash registries or poems asking for money.  But personally, I don't plan to put gift cards on my registries for the reasons you mentioned.
  • Options
    I think you should leave it off, because it doesn't satisfy the purpose of the registry.  There is no need for you to specify what color giftcard you'd like, or for guests to know that somebody else has already purchased you a giftcard.  Nobody is going to think they aren't welcome if that's what they wish to give.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    I don't know whether it's in poor taste, but it does seem a bit silly.  Registering at a store would seem to imply that gift cards for that store are welcome because there are things there you'd like to have.
  • Options
     I would personally leave it off because guests will buy you one if they choose not to get a gift from registry.
  • Options
    I left them off for that reason.  But, I think people who haven't planned a wedding in the last few years would just think it's something the store adds automatically.  Most guests probably wouldn't really give it a second thought, I would think.

But it does seem silly; because who wouldn't want a gift card from a store where they want 100 items from...
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I don't think it is a horrible idea but most registries say "Gift Cards are welcome" or something along those lines so I am assuming that guests understand that you would like giftcards as well... Your choice! :)
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Yes I agree many registries have the option of money gifts and a specific category  for this. Where you can easily register for gift cards. As it is shown separately,  the guests also understand whether you are asking for money gifts or any other thing. So they can easily make their choice. We have done the same for our wedding registry.

• Options
    hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    Before I registered I just assumed it was something stores added automatically.  It truly doesn't offend me as a guest, but it's sort of redundant.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Really?  A thread from 2010?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards