Registry and Gift Forum

So.....WHAT am I suppose to have on my registry?

My fiance and I have been living together for going on 4-years now, so we have been able to accumilate a lot of household items together. So when it came time to do our registry, we registered for stuff that was a little more on the expensive side (becuase we couldn't afford to buy a lot of these things yet), such as blenders, stand-mixers, full set of pans ect. Since we completed our registry a few family members and friends have have comented that ".....I hope you registered for some "cheaper" stuff so we can get something for you......". But the "cheaper" stuff we already have. I don't understand what I am suppose to do............It there some un-said ratio of items and and price points I am suppose to have on my registry to appease family?

Re: So.....WHAT am I suppose to have on my registry?

• I would add in things like coordinating sheet sets, new pillows (FI and I registered for fantastic pillows that are only $20 each, but significantly better than what we're currently sleeping on!), decorative items in the $20-$50 range, nice photo frames for wedding pictures (again, in the $20-$50 range), coordinating kitchen towels and oven mitts, and matching kitchen accessories (whisks, rolling pins, serving spoons, measuring spoon and cups, you get the idea).  I know for us, even though we have all of that smaller stuff, a lot of it is mis-matched and older (my whisk is like 7 years old), so I'd be happy to have it replaced, and even an "upgraded" whisk is pretty inexpensive.

Oh, and please don't take the charity-donation suggestion.  It's presumptuous and rude.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Yes you do need lower price-points.  Not everybody wants to get you cash, and it looks pretty greedy to me to only have things that are over $100.  Not saying you are, but that's how it can come off.

Do what PP said - even though you've lived together for 4 years you probably combined households at one point and haven't bothered to get rid of things that are mismatched.  There are a lot of kitchen gadgets out there that are pretty fun but cost like $15-$20 so you prob wouldn't buy yourself.  Maybe consider doing open stock pots and pans and upgrading your knife set and doing open stock on that as well.  

New towels are always good - and you can register for some picture frames or other decor stuff.   But yes, please put lower priced things on there as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Maybe you could find a few picture frames and other decorative items that you would like to jazz up your place with, at lower price points?  You might want the picture frames for wedding photos and better for people to have an idea of something you like so they don't get you something junky that you don't like. And ditto pp's suggestions for linens like sheets and towels, you can save them for when the stuff you're using now is worn.

And I wouldn't sweat it too much about the comment people made wondering if you registered for anything cheaper, yes it's nice for people who are looking for a less expensive item, but they do have the options to give you a gift card or possibly go in together with someone else on one bigger item as opposed to two smaller items.  The last time we were shopping for a wedding gift fiance and I looked at one of the less expensive items on the couple's registry and didn't think it was worth the price and we selected something else we felt was a better value.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards