Registry and Gift Forum
Options

registering before or after christmas?

I'm kind of torn whether i should register before or after christmas. My wedding is at the beginning of june 2012 and my first shower is in feb. i've been told that its time to register but i'm not sure if i should wait until after christmas or go ahead and do it when i'm off for christmas vacation ( before christmas). my mom wants me to register before christmas just in case "someone" wants to buy christmas gifts from it but then my sister told me to wait until after because then all the holiday/seasonal items will be off the shelves and you can focus on stuff that will be available during the time of the wedding. i also am debating bc of the christmas rush in all the stores and/or if some items that i want to register for is not on the shelves so i can look at them before registering for certain items. let me know if what you guys recommend. thanks!!!!

Re: registering before or after christmas?

• Options
    I would do it before in case anybody looks to your registry for Christmas ideas.  Or at least start it before and update after?  A lot of things go out of stock after xmas but you could always modify a few things.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

We registered in the beginning of November specifically to avoid the Christmas crowds, but if you register a lot of your things online, this shouldn't be an issue. If your family wants to shop from your registry, just add a few things you know you want now, then finish the rest when you have time later.

Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    What if you did a little bit of both?  Register for a few things now, and then add to it after Christmas.
  • Options
    We registered before Christmas for our April wedding and went in about a month ago trying to beat the holiday crowds...we made a date of it on a Friday evening and spent longer than I thought but it wasn't too bad and we had some fun with it.  Three items have already been purchased, I'm sure for Christmas gifts.  Up to you whether you want to go ahead and start one in case people are still Christmas shopping or wait a few weeks until your shower invites go out.  Just make sure if you pick out your china, flatware, etc. that the pattern won't be discontinued before June, but you'll probably be okay.  As pp's suggested you could always go back and add more after the holidays when it's getting closer to your shower and keep adding to it before your wedding.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Options
    I got married in May and we registered for the bulk of our items in November. Our parents definitly utilized our registries for Christmas presents which was great.
    I definitly edited our registries though prior to my showers in March and April because things were discountinued or we decided we did not want certain items.
  • Options
    My wedding is at the end of June 2012 and I've already registered, for the most part. The one store I've only done online and may very well wait til after Christmas to go in store! I know for sure my brother shopped off my BBB registry for my Christmas gift, but when I told my mom to shop off one of them too, she said she didn't want to get me something that someone else could for my wedding. So I told her to get me this particular item I was planning on registering for in store eventually and she was fine with that...moms haha I have been altering and adding to the registries quite often and I'm sure as it gets closer it may become necessary. I suggest doing something similar!
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    And when I say "told", she asked me for ideas, I wasn't being rude or selfish!
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    We started our registry and then will finish in January or February.  We wanted to start to send people for Christmas...
  • Options
    We registered in November for some things. In January, we are going to go back and finish/add some more. Just keep up with it regularly and you'll be fine. Our families wanted us to register before the holidays.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registering-before-after-christmas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:871de258-073f-4369-94b8-4c570b0ed16fPost:9a650a3c-0f47-4ff2-8ac9-765477add62e">registering before or after christmas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm kind of torn whether i should register before or after christmas. My wedding is at the beginning of june 2012 and my first shower is in feb. i've been told that its time to register but i'm not sure if i should wait until after christmas or go ahead and do it when i'm off for christmas vacation ( before christmas). my mom wants me to register before christmas just in case "someone" wants to buy christmas gifts from it but then my sister told me to wait until after because then all the holiday/seasonal items will be off the shelves and you can focus on stuff that will be available during the time of the wedding. i also am debating bc of the christmas rush in all the stores and/or if some items that i want to register for is not on the shelves so i can look at them before registering for certain items. let me know if what you guys recommend. thanks!!!!
    Posted by futuremrsbecerra[/QUOTE]

If it were me, i'd wait until after the xmas rush.  FI & I registered in Oct for our April wedding.  No one has bought anything.  For xmas though, we both asked for gift cards to the stores we registered at (Target & BB&B).  :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

If you don't work FT and have some time on an early afternoon anytime before the 23rd, you can still go during a weekday and register and you'll be fine. I started my registry last month online for Target and BBB but finished them in the store only 2 weeks ago. Also...besides the 26th, there is no rush at most of the common registry stores. Go on New year's eve or one of the weekday nights in the week after Christmas. Don't overthink it.... the sooner you can be registered, the better because who knows? Maybe people do want to give you a gift from it... the only way you'd know is if you had it. But as it was mentioned...most of it (but I've seen, not all!) can be done online....and then just finished up in the store :)

Daisypath Wedding tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards