Registry and Gift Forum

What do you register for if...

...you already live together? Our wedding isn't for another two years, and early next year we are planning on buying a house, so most likely we will have all furnishings (tablewear, linens, appliances etc.) already. We each have a child from previous relationships, and have each lived 'solo' so we already have a ton of stuff between us.

I know this isn't an unusual situation. Stuff that I might WANT seems so superfluous since we already have most of what we NEED.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What do you register for if...

• FI and I have been living together for a while now. We put things on our registry that we'd like to update (pots and pans, silverware, toaster.. all of which are donated from family or came from thrift stores). We also added things we necessarily wouldn't buy ourselves, but would still like to have and would definitely use (Kitchen Aid mixer), and things we just don't have but probably should (crockpot, blender). Take an inventory of things you have and make a list of what you'd like to upgrade.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think it's fine to register for you want.  Even then, I would look at your needs and think about if there is anything you could use of nicer quality.  A good example would be sheets or bath linens.  It's easy to get the cheapo one when you just need something, but you can register for something of high quality that will last you a long time. 

You can also choose not to register.  I would seriously - in your boat - think about not buying too much for your new home and keeping a list of what all you could use.  You could always add tools and outdoor items to a registry.  
  • I know you can't put a note in the wedding invite. But if anyone asks tell them you want a lowes or home depot gift cert.   We were invited to a wedding they had a little poem in their invite about their new house and repairs and not being close to the couple we were happy to have the hint.
  • aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    Please don't include a poem in your invitation that asks for cash.

FI and I have lived together for seven years but still have found tons of things we'd like to upgrade. It doesn't have to be all about need. You can also have a small registry and many people will get the hint that you'd prefer cash.
    Lizzie
  • FI and I have lived together for almost 3 years and we have tons of stuff we want to upgrade.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • If you already have all of your stuff and don't feel the need to be a super consumer, updating and upgrading all your home items, you could set up a wedding registry that gives donations to charity. I know sites like Zankyou.com and I Do Foundation have this option and I think it's a really sweet idea if you don't need traditional registry items.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_what-do-you-register-for-if?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:8863e5d8-dd85-4339-a36a-60c16a5e8569Post:46e6c7c9-77e9-49f1-868f-1412094402a4">Re: What do you register for if...</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI and I have lived together for almost 3 years and we have tons of stuff we want to upgrade.
    Posted by sparkles776[/QUOTE]

THIS. There might not be as much stuff on your registries as for other people that didn't live together prior but oh well, people will just default to cash then!  FI and I just bought a house too and since moving in we've kept a list of what we need/want to buy, some we're saving for the registry some we're buying as we can afford it, but it's tough saving for a wedding and just having bought a home!
  • I've been living with FI for two years now, but I still had no problem once I really started looking around. Things like a hand vacuum or a fresh cutting board (mine's all old and stuff) are never fun to buy yourself, but they make great shower gifts. Sheets wear out after a while and never really change - why not get some to stash for later? Some quality luggage might be nice.

Also will your new home have more bathrooms? Things like a matching bathroom set might be nice to receive. Will you have more outdoor space? Grilling accessories, patio melemine dishes etc. might also really nice to have. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FI and I have also lived together, and I've lived on my own since college, so I/we have a ton of stuff, but none of it is particularly good. We bought a few things of cheap sheets when we got our bed, and we're upgrading those. As well as all of our mismatched tableware and pots and pans and towels. We're also upgrading most of our $8 Walmart special kitchen appliances. 

I would go with what PP said and maybe use what you've got and don't worry about replacing it when you move, but wait and add it to the registry if you can. We're using all of our mismatched stuff until the wedding, 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_what-do-you-register-for-if?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:8863e5d8-dd85-4339-a36a-60c16a5e8569Post:b1126be0-cbe3-4f3f-9ea4-f2c806aaa708">Re: What do you register for if...</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you already have all of your stuff and don't feel the need to be a super consumer, updating and upgrading all your home items, you could set up a wedding registry that gives donations to charity. I know sites like Zankyou.com and I Do Foundation have this option and I think it's a really sweet idea if you don't need traditional registry items.
    Posted by Marina Ova[/QUOTE]

No.  This is still a cash registry and is a huge no-no.

OP - you join the vast majority of people out there who are getting married in that most of us have already set up households.  DH and I still managed to make a small registry of upgrades and most of our guests took the hint and gave cash,.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Thanks everyone for all the suggestions :) I didn't even think of outdoor items and tools!
  • Just browse through a website like Crate & Barrel and look at everything.  You'll be surprised at what you may want or upgrade.  Obviously you won't have a ton of stuff on it and your guests will probably opt for a cash gift.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_what-do-you-register-for-if?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:8863e5d8-dd85-4339-a36a-60c16a5e8569Post:b1126be0-cbe3-4f3f-9ea4-f2c806aaa708">Re: What do you register for if...</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you already have all of your stuff and don't feel the need to be a super consumer, updating and upgrading all your home items, you could set up a wedding registry that gives donations to charity. I know sites like Zankyou.com and I Do Foundation have this option and I think it's a really sweet idea if you don't need traditional registry items.
    Posted by Marina Ova[/QUOTE]

You seem to promote these sites an awful lot.  If you're a vendor, go away. 
  • Hi, lurking from the Bump but also a newlywed.  We too lived together for four years by our wedding day.  We did what most PPs said, registered for things we wanted to upgrade (glassware, flatware, dinnerware, pots and pans, knife set) and for fun things that I didn't own yet and wanted to have (things for entertaining).

I can tell you this, no one will donate cash to a charity.  It's with great intention, but guests are going to want to spoil YOU, not a charity.  Also, please do not register for home improvement items such as ladders and leaf blowers.  If you were a wedding guest, would you buy the bride and groom a ladder?

• RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_what-do-you-register-for-if?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:8863e5d8-dd85-4339-a36a-60c16a5e8569Post:2caf43a1-36fe-49c3-9cb4-066ae0da4c90">Re: What do you register for if...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi, lurking from the Bump but also a newlywed.    Also, please do not register for home improvement items such as ladders and leaf blowers.  If you were a wedding guest, would you buy the bride and groom a ladder?
    Posted by jfgreer[/QUOTE]

Sure, why not?  I mean, I want to get them something they want or need.  If it's a ladder, then okay.  Let them register for that if you want. 

FI and I have lived on our own for 20 years each, and he's been married before.  We have stuff.  We've still found plenty to register for.  We both have cheap toasters, so we'll upgrade.  We're buying a new bed, so we'll need sheets for it.  You can never have enough towels.  I only have service for 8 in dinnerwear and flatware, and we'd like to entertain, so I'm adding onto that.  Serving pieces and entertaining stuff.  Glassware that isn't plastic and doesn't have cartoon characters on them.  Couple of cooking pans that I'd love to have but haven't been able to afford. Stand mixer.  New blender.  Small tools that we'll use around the house - cordless drill, socket set, air compressor. Replacing plastic cooking utensils with better quality stainless ones. Some nice grill stuff for FI.  Couple of yard things - team flag, doormat, grill cover. 
  • We both combined houses. We're registering for upgrades and things we'd never buy for ourselves. We also entertain a lot, so I registered for outdoor cooking stuff and things for my gardening. I really hope that we get the Dyson and the Emeril All Clad set... ;)
  • We didn't plan to register for gifts but our friends persuaded us to so that we didn't get a lot of stuff that we don't want or need. We did register for a few things that we want to upgrade at home. We also tried to get creative by adding fun things that we can do with our family and friends long after the wedding like camping equipment and board games.
    Just my two cents! Penny L G M
  • edited July 2012
    We've lived together for 3 years and have a house together as well. There are many items that are from thrift stores and family - stuff I'd like to upgrade. Or items I'd like to have, but don't feel like spending money on. Whenever I think of something, I shoot myself an email from my phone if I'm out and about, and then add it to a Google Document so I can access it anywhere and don't have to worry about losing it!

So I have a ton of items listed already. Here are a few examples...wine bottle opener // stopper, sheets etc, microwaveable containers (we use to take our lunch so they are used a lot), salad spinner, nice laundry hamper, filing cabinet, digital picture frame (or regular frames), and some other little items for the kitchen.

Now we just need to agree on *where* to register.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    So ready to bring our families together and PARTY on April 13th, 2013!
    image 225 Invited
    image 53 Are ready to party!
    image 18 Will be missing out!
    image 154 Are MIA!
    Reply requested by March 23.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards