Registry and Gift Forum

What Wishlist website do you recomend?

We're looking to create an online wishlist to ask for things like our wedding album and photography etc (basically $ to help pay for the wedding and honeymoon) along with some household items like a traditional registry...What site did you use?  who do you recomend/not recomned? and why?

Re: What Wishlist website do you recomend?

• You should not ask guests to pay for your wedding or your honeymoon.  Plan a wedding you can afford.  If you are unable to save up for a honeymoon right after the wedding then put it off for a year and save up for that too.  There's nothing wrong with waiting to take a honeymoon (I have friends that just went on their Thialand honeymoon a little over a year after their wedding).
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Agree 100% with edie and jagore. 

• Maybe that came out wrong...I don't want people to pay for my wedding - we are capable of that. 

What I was meaning is the 'extras' like albums, prints etc. There are plenty of photographers out that that offer wishlists on thier 'own' sites for prints, albums etc that you can register for - same with videography.  I was just looking for an all inclusive site that's a wishlist.

In re: the honeymoon, I've heard of plenty of couples putting on a wishlist items like airfare and portions of thier trip along with other big ticket items like apliances (not expecting someone to buy a new stove, but there are sites that allow for contirbutions toward items like that)...that's what I was looking for for recomendations.
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_wishlist-website-recomend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:8a92d746-bd8e-44e2-8685-e1180455401ePost:70d91ce4-9205-44dc-8887-3cb947a731ce">Re: What Wishlist website do you recomend?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe that came out wrong...I don't want people to pay for my wedding - we are capable of that.  What I was meaning is the 'extras' like albums, prints etc. There are plenty of photographers out that that offer wishlists on thier 'own' sites for prints, albums etc that you can register for - same with videography.  I was just looking for an all inclusive site that's a wishlist. In re: the honeymoon, I've heard of plenty of couples putting on a wishlist items like airfare and portions of thier trip along with other big ticket items like apliances (not expecting someone to buy a new stove, but there are sites that allow for contirbutions toward items like that)...that's what I was looking for for recomendations.
    Posted by sillyredhead18[/QUOTE]

No.  Everyone understood exactly what you meant.  The answer is don't do it at all for the reasons previously stated.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • I can see how the idea is appealing but like the others mentioned, it's in poor taste.

Use some post wedding $$ for those things and also you won't need to get tons of prints and albums right after the wedding... you can save a up afterwards and work with your photographer. (maybe have it as a 1st year anniversary present to yourselves... )

Just print out those few important ones to show off to friends/family/coworkers that couldn't make it

Photobucketbaby yianni Pregnancy Ticker image
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012
    These sites don't actually give you the plane ticket or whatever else it is you put on the "wish list".  They give you a percentage of the cash that the guest paid to the site (ex. the site charges 10%, the guest thinks they are giving you $100 towards your plane ticket, the site takes $10 and gives you $90).  The guests don't usually know about this fee the site charges and thinks they are giving you a physical gift but they're not and you're not getting the full amount you should be getting because the site charges a fee.  

If you don't get all the money you need to book this vacation you're lying to the guests about what they gave you as a gift.  You also won't know if you will have enough to book the trip until after the wedding.  If you do book this trip before the wedding then you're able to pay for it yourself, so why even do this type of registry.  See where I'm going with this?

If you want cash then don't make any type of registry and if someone asks what you want as a wedding gift, tell them you're saving for _______.  Simple as that.  People know how to write a check or put some cash in a card.  It's been done for decades.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • You are basically asking people to give you cash which is inappropriate. You will more than likely receive some cash gifts without asking and you can use that money to put toward your album, prints and whatever else you want. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_wishlist-website-recomend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:8a92d746-bd8e-44e2-8685-e1180455401ePost:70d91ce4-9205-44dc-8887-3cb947a731ce">Re: What Wishlist website do you recomend?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe that came out wrong...I don't want people to pay for my wedding - we are capable of that. <strong> What I was meaning is the 'extras' like albums, prints etc. There are plenty of photographers out that that offer wishlists on thier 'own' sites for prints, albums etc that you can register for - same with videography.  I was just looking for an all inclusive site that's a wishlist</strong>. In re: the honeymoon, I've heard of plenty of couples putting on a wishlist items like airfare and portions of thier trip along with other big ticket items like apliances (not expecting someone to buy a new stove, but there are sites that allow for contirbutions toward items like that)...that's what I was looking for for recomendations.

That is still asking oyur guests to pay for a part of your wedding, which is rude.
    There is a difference between registering for an item and registering for what is essentially cash to use towards a service/item.

People know cash is a good gift. Create a small registery and people will get the idea.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_wishlist-website-recomend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:8a92d746-bd8e-44e2-8685-e1180455401ePost:70d91ce4-9205-44dc-8887-3cb947a731ce">Re: What Wishlist website do you recomend?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe that came out wrong...I don't want people to pay for my wedding - we are capable of that.  What I was meaning is the 'extras' like albums, prints etc. There are plenty of photographers out that that offer wishlists on thier 'own' sites for prints, albums etc that you can register for - same with videography.  I was just looking for an all inclusive site that's a wishlist. In re: the honeymoon, I've heard of plenty of couples putting on a wishlist items like airfare and portions of thier trip along with other big ticket items like apliances (not expecting someone to buy a new stove, but there are sites that allow for contirbutions toward items like that)...that's what I was looking for for recomendations.

You can explain and sugarcoat it any way you want.  You're still begging for money.  Why don't you just make a cardboard sign and sit on a street corner collecting change?  Same thing. 

Can't afford an album? Save up and order it later.  Honeymoon?  Save up and take one later.  Or just accept the fact that you might not get one.  But don't ask me to buy it for you. 
  • Wedding Wishlists = SO TRASHY!!!!!!!!!!! If people want to give you money they can write you a check!
  • If you're old enough to get married, you're old enough to save up and pay for the things you really want.  Don't go begging people for money to buy your stuff.  You can sugarcoat it however you like, but you're still begging for money, and that's pathetic.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards