Registry and Gift Forum

Add to the registry?

Our shower is this Saturday, it is a combined party for both families.  My sister mentioned that the registry had very little left on it and suggested that I add more.  I looked at it and all that's left is salad plates, soup bowls, a few kitchen gadgets, glasses and cups, and 6 bath towels.  So with 3 days left, do I add to give last minute shoppers more options? 
There are decorative things I could add such as curtains or wall art that FI didn't want to register for before, but I didn't know if it's necessary to try to squeeze in another shopping trip (we're both see and touch, not into online shopping type people) to the very busy days left of this week.

Re: Add to the registry?

• I wouldn't necessarily bother before the shower, but you might want to take another trip before the wedding.  I don't think you should add stuff just for the sake of adding stuff, but if there's stuff you wanted to put on in the first place, I don't think there's a problem adding it now.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2012

Showers are generally pretty awkward for guests if there's nothing they can afford to buy you left on your registry. You may get many things you already have and/or are not your style.

Try to get to the store...or just suck it up and add things online (basic things like serving/storage pieces, kitchen gadgets & utensils, etc you shouldn't really & truly need to see and touch, unless you're being dramatic)

• JaxInBlueJaxInBlue member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2012
    How is the price spread on the remaining items?  Is there enough of a range that people could pick something for a small budget or a large one?  Is your sister asking because she's heard from people they aren't able to shop with what's left?

If there is a good range of price choices, I think hoffse is right and that you can wait to reload your registry between the shower and the wedding but if you only have items concentrated in a couple of price points, I'd add to it now.  Perhaps you can add things online related to items you picked out in the store - for example, serving platters that match your dishes or the salad server that matches your bowls.  You could register for sheets in towels from the same collections but different colors.
    Anniversary

• If the things left are mainly in one price point, I'd probably add some variety before the shower. Many shower guests wait until the last minute to buy, so many people may not have shopped yet. You can always add online if you have to and can't make it to the store.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • edited August 2012
    Thanks for all the suggestions.  I think I'll try to squeeze in a quick trip to one of the stores soon, and make sure there are options before the wedding as well.

I graduated college 2 years ago and moved out on my own.  I have been receiving pots and pans and food storage containers, etc for the past several years for Christmas and Birthdays.  I can't justify upgrading something that I've had for only a year.  We felt our registry was very complete in all the gadgets we needed and included what we consider "luxury items" and we included several serving dishes that went with the china (those were the first items purchased).  I feel it's wasteful to just add an avocado slicer just to have it as an option when it isn't something we really need.  Things that I would like to add would be curtains, pillows, throws, rugs, etc.  I guess I could add online and if we get it and don't love it in person always exchange for something when we have time to go look, it just seems sort of rude to me.

We registered for individual pieces rather than sets, so 24 plates, 24 glasses, 24 bowls and so on.  We both have very large families and want to be able to host a holiday at some point.  Everything that is left ranges from $3 to $40.  My sister brought this to my attention because she didn't see anything that she really wanted to give us from her and her FI, I don't know if that means she wanted to buy us a small appliance that was already purchased or if she was looking for more decorative items.

I always thought most people are last minute shoppers but our two registries had well over 275 gifts on it and now about 70 items remain- 48 of which are the bowls and plates.  I'm shocked by how generous our friends and family are and so grateful for the wonderful start we'll have.  I just worry about late shoppers feeling out of options, especially since the BB&B in our city doesn't carry china.
  • Some people may have shopped for your shower and your wedding at the same time.  It's possible that everything that has been purchased will not show up at your shower.  (Whether or not it all does should give you an indication if you might need to add again before the wedding.)

I don't see a problem with adding pillows, throws or rugs to your registry.  These are all household items and all items you and your FI can use.  We definitely had a few small rugs on our registry!  BBB is also pretty decent about returns so if you get something that doesn't quite match what you imagined, it should be easy to return.

Enjoy your shower!
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards