Registry and Gift Forum
Options

How to figure out who a gift came from?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to discover who a wedding gift came from?  We had one gift left at the reception with no card, and no clue who it came from. :(  I'm thinking the gift giver (or someone else, who knows) probably pulled the card off and put it in our card box instead of leaving it with the gift.  I honestly cannot think of a polite, or practical, way to figure it out! 

Re: How to figure out who a gift came from?

• Options
    I had a friend who got several gifts are her wedding that didn't come with cards.  People took advantage of the free wrapping for registry items at the store and never bothered with getting a card.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I'm writing this assuming you made a list of who gave what when you opened your gifts and cards.  Gather your list of cards that weren't attached to a gift (monetary or otherwise) and see how many possibile people could have given you the gift.  Chances are that list is pretty small so you can probably find a way to politely ask or have your mom ask.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_figure-out-gift-came?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:93361164-87a0-47d4-b388-c567a95526caPost:facf4ca2-aa06-4e6a-b084-8ca777092a12">Re: How to figure out who a gift came from?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm writing this assuming you made a list of who gave what when you opened your gifts and cards.  Gather your list of cards that weren't attached to a gift (monetary or otherwise) and see how many possibile people could have given you the gift.  Chances are that list is pretty small so you can probably find a way to politely ask or have your mom ask.
    Posted by strlzfan11[/QUOTE]

process of elimination is the only way. but they may have not put a card on the gift, so also include the guest book, or positive rsvps to you list. you can also send more generic thank you cards to the giftless card leavers.
    10-10 siggy favorite summer picture Image and video hosting by TinyPic http://hiscb.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    We had 90 guests, and only about 6-8 gifts at the reception, so process of elimination won't work.  Every single card in the card box contained some type of monetary gift, so if this gift did have a card on it, the person gave us both money and a small gift.  I haven't figured out yet if anyone got us nothing, but if there were any gift-less guests, I would feel AWFUL having someone call and ask if this was their gift!  I don't want to make people feel guilty if they couldn't afford to get us something, you know?
  • Options
    I agree, there's no polite way to ask your gift-less guests if this gift was from them. Just send thank you notes to the people who didn't give you gifts, and if someone asks, "hey, did you get the ___?" then you'll know.
  • Options
    I like vm_andrews' answer - send thank you's to everyone who was at the wedding.  I feel it's just as important that friends & family spent the day with you as it was for them to give you a gift.  (Plus we got the CUTEST thank you's made up and I want EVERYONE to see them!)

Without a doubt mention the mystery gift to the mom's so they can keep their ears open for someone buzzing about not getting the thank you for their gift.  Mine is (and hopefully most mom's are) great at finding out that sort of thing very stealthly!  Happened at my sister's wedding and seriously, my Mom found out, explained to the guest, called my sister & that person had a thank you in their hands almost the next day!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards