Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Price per place setting?

What do you consider to be a reasonable price per place setting of dinnerware/china and flatware (on a registry)?
Married 10/2/10

Re: Price per place setting?

• Options
    I think you need to ask this on your local.

In my experience nice china usually voers the cost of the plate at the reception. I think this is outdated and pretty silly, but it still is the general rule used by many brides. I usually see china in the $120-175 range.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_price-per-place-setting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:9347433c-10f7-4119-a0a8-bc9a02eb0c70Post:839ff678-5d79-44ca-bc16-d9117ac73a04">Re: Price per place setting?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you need to ask this on your local. In my experience nice china usually voers the cost of the plate at the reception. I think this is outdated and pretty silly, but it still is the general rule used by many brides. I usually see china in the $120-175 range.
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]

I don't really understand what you mean?  The price of the china is supposed to be the same as the per person cost at the reception??  What on earth do those have to do with each other?

My guests are from all over the country (and Canada), so most of them will not be influenced by what is common in the place I'm getting married.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_price-per-place-setting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:9347433c-10f7-4119-a0a8-bc9a02eb0c70Post:839ff678-5d79-44ca-bc16-d9117ac73a04">Re: Price per place setting?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you need to ask this on your local. In my experience nice china usually voers the cost of the plate at the reception. I think this is outdated and pretty silly, but it still is the general rule used by many brides. I usually see china in the $120-175 range.

<div>I'm not following what you're saying either.  </div><div>
    </div><div>The china we registered for was 119$ per place setting at Bed Bath and Beyond.</div>
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Our fine china is $185 and casual stoneware comes out to $150 per 5-piece place setting but it's sold as individual pieces. Are you talking about sterling silver or stainless steel? For sterling, we're inheriting a set, thankfully, but that usually costs about $400-$600 per place setting, I'd say. For stainless, we're getting an 82 piece set that's only like $140 for the whole thing. If you're looking at seperate place settings in stainless, they're usually between $50 and $100. (Can you tell I've done a lot of reserach on this stuff? lol)
  • Options
    I think it really depends on the social crowd you are inviting.  I do understand where the china place setting price = price per head for the dinner rule came from but I do agree its outdated.  For me I registered for a Vera Wang formal china pattern that is $150 for a five piece place setting.  Since we're inheriting silver in my family we registered for a stainless steel place settings that were an upgrade from our everyday set.  We registered for a Vera Wang stainless steel set that is $75 a place setting.
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2010
    Our every day china set is $69.95 which includes a dinner plate, salad plate, bowl, and tea cup at Crate & Barrel.

Our fine china set is $138.99 for each setting and that includes a dinner plate, salad plate, bread and butter plate, a tea cup, and saucer at BBB.

Ditto pp's that the price point you decide on depends on your circle and what they may be comfortable spending.
  • Options
    noodle_oonoodle_oo member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_price-per-place-setting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:9347433c-10f7-4119-a0a8-bc9a02eb0c70Post:2ebee754-e97b-4c53-b7e5-b7aad48364dc">Re: Price per place setting?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh I absolutely agree it is silly! I think it is more than that, even moronic.<font color="#3366ff"><strong> I just know that in the Boston area, many people talk about how the bride should register for china commesurate with the price per person of her reception.</strong></font> Does it make sense? No. It is just a rule I know people follow so I figured I would put it out there. That is why I said ask on your local too.

I'm from Boston, and I've never heard of that!  I think the bride should register for what she likes and what she thinks is reasonable for her guests.  There is no rule about it.

Ours is about $100 per place setting when on sale at Macys (which is most of the time).  I know that is a reasonable price for my friends/family.  If you are in a wealthy group or know your family might spend more, go ahead and register for something more expensive.  Or if you don't like or need china, then don't register for it!  I don't think there is a rule you need to follow and the whole "cover your plate" idea is not important in my mind.  Either way you need to have a range of prices on your registry and your guests will buy what they can afford and want to get you.

Oh, and our stainless steel flatware is $30 per setting at Crate and Barrel.
  • Options
    ours were 90 for a 4 piece place setting which is not even half the cost of our price per head...I have never heard of that but its interesting to hear.
  • Options
    Our China is $128.99 at BB&B but with the 20% off coupon (which they take on everything even if the coupon says it's excluded) its just over $100.

Our flatware (stainless 18/10) is $66.99 a place setting at BB&B and just over $50 is someone uses the coupon.

I saw some I liked for more but I just couldn't justify it.  You know your crowd.  I'm not sure I'll get much of the China but I figured I'd go for it and use gift cards toward it since I got lots at my shower.
  • Options
    NukkeNukke member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Our fine china is $160 per 5-piece place setting, and our every day dishes were $40.00 per 5-piece place setting.
    Our Wedding Website
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Options
    Everyday Dishes = Pottery Barn Approx. $40 per place setting - I think!?!?

Fine China - BB&B $69.99 per 5 piece place setting
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards