Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Gift cards in the registry?

We registered at Bed Bath & Beyond today and we noticed that the guy helping us added gift cards to our registry for $100, $50, $20, and $10.  Is this tacky?  Should we go and remove these from our registry or just keep them on there?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Gift cards in the registry?

• Options
    Oh please take it off ASAP.  This is the same as asking for cash.  I'll also add that I check my BB&B and Macy's registrties every day.  I had to take things off both as soon as I got home.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    OK they're off!!  Thanks for the input!  Has anybody else had this problem with stores automatically adding GC's???
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've not had it personally (we're not registering through a store) but I've heard that it's a fairly common problem.
  • Options
    We didn't have a problem with GCs but we did have a problem with the BB&B woman who added things we had explicitly told her we did not want to register for.  She apparently thought she knew our guests better than we did because "Oh, you'll be surprised at what people will buy.  Remember that they want to buy as much as they can for you."  It was about that point that I just walked away and let DH handle it because I was ready to explode.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options

Ours was added to the C&B registry, and we didnt' notice for awhile.  Once we did, we took it off.  I just thought it was like asking for money and didn't make me feel comfortable. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_gift-cards-registry-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:946fded0-e5f0-4495-ba8c-d6c18211096cPost:b03fa38b-22e1-42d1-bc5b-7ba328143e1d">Re: Gift cards in the registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE]OK they're off!!  Thanks for the input!  Has anybody else had this problem with stores automatically adding GC's???
    Posted by agrisner[/QUOTE]

I registered online and I had no issues with 'extras'
    murrayed
  • Options

Gift cards are accepted by many people. I think there is no problem with it if they are asked tactfully. It helps us to get the cash so that we can use it anywhere we want. Many registries provide this to get the fund for a honeymoon or other house stuffs.

• Options
    @aprilpeter12 this thread is almost three years old! 

And no, asking for cash in any form is tacky - including gift cards and honeymoon registries. 
  • Options
    Holy shit, this thread is from 2010!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Sorry, the rule about asking for money hasn't changed since 2010- it is still rude and tacky.
  • Options
    GB520GB520 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    People will give you gift cards anyway. It isn't necessary and looks rude so I would would leave it off.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards