Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Weird awkward BBB situation...

I had a slew of shower and wedding gifts sent to both my house and my parents' house before my shower. The day of my shower, I received two cards in which the givers had written that they had their gifts shipped to my house. I have yet to receive either of their gifts. My shower was September 9th.

One person told my mother exactly what she had bought me and when she bought it, so when I still hadn't gotten it, I went to BBB, where they looked it up and told me that somehow the gift had been returned to the shipper because of an "invalid address." Without the order number, which of course I don't have, they were unable to give me any more information, just that the gift giver should make sure the shipper either resends the gift or sends it back to BBB so they can issue her a refund. This woman is a friend of my mother's, so my mom is going to let her know. Is there anything else I can do or should be doing? I know I can't write a thank you note for a gift I didn't receive.

The other person is a bit trickier. She wrote in my shower card "Gift to come--or perhaps it already arrived?" leading me to believe she'd had it shipped before the shower. There are two registry items purchased from my registry around the time of the shower that I cannot account for. However, I can't say for certain that those are the items she bought, or if she even bought me something from my registry. If she did buy those items and expected me to have received them, she must think I suck at getting thank you notes out, which I don't want. I don't want to tell her that I never received a gift from her, though, just in case for some reason she wasn't able to give me the gift she'd intended.

Should I wait it out and hope that she checks the order status when she realizes she still hasn't received a thank you note? Or should I warn her that her gift may have suffered the same fate of an "incorrect address" and been returned to the shipper?

Basically, I don't want any of my guests to have spent money on a gift I never received, yet I don't want to make it sound like I'm putting it on them to rectify the situation or like I'm demanding to know where my gift is. I also don't want anyone thinking I received their gift and simply didn't send a thank you note.

What is the right thing to do? Sorry this is so long.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Weird awkward BBB situation...

• Options
    As a guest I'd want to know.  It's been a month, and they clearly think you've already received the gift.  I imagine that if you invited them to your shower either you, your mom, or your FMIL is close to these women so one of you 3 should be close enough to be comfortable saying, "Hey Peggy, I just wanted to make sure you knew that the gift you mentioned at Betty's shower never arrived.  I figured you would want to know!" 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    HeidiWard04HeidiWard04 member
    First Comment
    edited October 2012
    Definitely do follow-up with the person (especially since they mentioned it to you).   Also a note as a fellow BBB bride, how long things take to ship seems to be all over the place.   Some things seem to come almost immediately and others have taken around a month to arrive.   It's definitely worth following up on.  
  • Options
    Thank you both. I have heard about the randomness of arrival times with BBB, so at first I didn't sweat it, but even the bridal registry guy at BBB said now that it's officially been over a month since my shower, it's likely that the gift was either lost or returned to the shipping facility.

I guess I need to grow a pair and just let the person know that if she sent something, I never received it. I just hate doing things like this, even though I agree with you that if I were the gift giver, I'd like to know.

I know it's not her responsibility, but I kinda wish she would contact me to see if I got it--we're not close friends (we used to be closer) but she knows me well enough to know she'd have gotten a prompt TY if I'd gotten the gift. And like I said, the person with the order number and tracking number and whatnot is really the only one who can get concrete information about a shipment.

Ahhh I hate being put in this awkward position! But thanks for the advice. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I would want to know as well if i gave the gift. I would want to make sure you recieved it, I mean who doesn't hate spending money for nothing! I would maybe mention that you have had some trouble with them shipping things so late and she will probably bring it up 'oh did you get my awesome toaster oven' - or whatever it was :)

Good luck and congrats!Laughing
  • Options
    Agree to everyone... I would definitely eager to know whether my gift has arrived or not. You should notify them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards