Registry and Gift Forum
Options

honeymoon registries

Has anyone used the honeymoon registries before?  What do you think?  Did guests actually use them?  Was it helpful for your honeymoon?  My fiance and I have a few things we want to register for, but we were hoping that the honeymoon registries would be a good alternative.  Please let me know what you think!

Re: honeymoon registries

• Options
    You'll find that honeymoon registries are a hot topic of debate around here, with most regulars staunchly opposed to them. 

The problem with HM registries is that it is essentially registering for cash (which is tacky) and are misleading to guests.  The way most honeymoon registries are set up is that Aunt Susie goes online and selects the spa day you registered for.  She's pays $100 and thinks that she has just bought you a spa treatment.  However, what actually happens is that the HM registry takes a cut and gives you a check for $90 to spend how you want. 

I would suggest looking at the sticky post at the top of this board called "Don't know what to register for".  It has lots of great suggestions that you may not have thought of. 

Also, you and your close family members can tactfully spread the word.  So if anyones asks where you are registered, they can reply, "Brooke has a small regsitry at XXX store,  but they are also saving for their honeymoom."
  • Options

PPs made good points and give good advice.

You might  also want to go read thru the numerous previous post on this subject.

• Options
    I think they suck. They aren't gifts of excursions.  They are a check cut to the bride and groom to use however they please (minus the company's fee).

I'd rather just have them not register and hear from the bride's WP that they are saving for a HM.  Then, I'll give them cash or write them a check and they get to use all the money instead of having a company skim off the top.
  • Options
    I have several friends who've made honeymoon registries, and we're planning to do it as well.  People posting here seem to think it's tacky, but the people I know who have them are attorneys at very tony law firms here in NYC, and are far from tacky.  I think it's become quite common among people of the professional class, and I wouldn't steer clear if that's what you'd like to do.  Honeyfund or Traveler's Joy are the ones with which my friends have registered.  Enjoy!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registries-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:a18a93d1-48ab-4ed3-8d99-d576e8b124d4Post:44939fa3-b4a3-4ee1-9bdd-f7e03b989bf4">Re: honeymoon registries</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have several friends who've made honeymoon registries, and we're planning to do it as well.  People posting here seem to think it's tacky, but the people I know who have them are attorneys at very tony law firms here in NYC, and are far from tacky.  I think it's become quite common among people of the professional class, and I wouldn't steer clear if that's what you'd like to do.  Honeyfund or Traveler's Joy are the ones with which my friends have registered.  Enjoy!
    Posted by sjnsjnsjn[/QUOTE]

Well if rich people in NYC are doing it, it must not be tacky!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, rich lawyers in NY are never tacky.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options
    just so give another opinion... you have to decide whats your definition of tacky? and how your guests would act?

Yea a lot of people on here oppose it and think its tacky, but thats just another opinion. Some people already have all the stuf they need for their home.

Also, if the circles you run in prefer for you to have an adventurous HM than another blender or dish set, then it might be a good idea. My wedding is still a good distance away, and we've put up a honeyfund and we have already had quite a few relatives and friends letting us know that they like the idea and will be using that for our wedding gift. Which is really nice knowing they dont need to get us really anything to begin with!

Lastly, for those that do decide to get us something on our registry, we plan to take pictures of us doing that activity and sending it in the thank you card.

So since your guests dont need to be buying you a gift in the first place, make sure what you register is something you REALLY want, or they are wasting their money cause you felt like you had to register for that blender....cause the wedding board told you to.

I have had a few friends in WA and CA do the honeyfund and 90% of the honeyfund registries were fullfilled and I have paid for gifts for other off of them too.

Its just another way to look at things.
  • Options
    Thanks for everyone's input.  I did not know that some honeymoon registries to take a fee for using the site, so that's something to think about.  I know several people have stated that they think it's tacky, but tacky is quite relative.  Personally, I think a garter toss is quite tacky, but other people think it's really important for it to be a part of their wedding.  I do like the idea for taking a picture of the actually activity and sending it as part of the thank you cards.  

• Options
    I think they're tacky, all of my friends agree. My mom and grandma and great aunt think they're tacky as well. This is important to me because thats a variety of generations who all feel strongly against them.
  • Options
    Try Honeyfund.com they dont charge any fees for your guests and provide a cute options on their website. Worth the $29 to upgrade the page to a nicer one.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registries-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:a18a93d1-48ab-4ed3-8d99-d576e8b124d4Post:04096b0b-7693-4887-928c-edf1b1d4021e">Re: honeymoon registries</a>:
    [QUOTE]If the idea of registering for what you really want, a honeymoon, is tacky then isn't the whole idea of registering in general tacky?  Basically you are making a list of all the items you want and saying here people go buy this for me............... The people that love you should want you to have what you want.
    Posted by harri339[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. My dad hates the whole idea of registries to begin with. People want to give you what you want. I think if you want to do a honeymoon registry, then do it. People like choices, so go to one your favorite stores and pick out some upgrade house hold items too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards