Registry and Gift Forum

Would you register for furniture?

My fiance and I don't currently live together, and neither of us has furniture that we're really wanting to keep around when we get our own place. I assume it's against etiquette to register for large pieces of furniture, but I wondered if people would find it off-putting to find small pieces like end tables or slipper chairs on our registry? 
I haven't added any furniture items to the registry yet, and I'm not sure if I should.
What do you all think?

Re: Would you register for furniture?

• We plan on registering for furniture. Lots of people go in together on gifts, and furniture can cost as much as the usual big-ticket gifts like the stand mixer, cookware, or several place settings.
  • If your registry place gives you a discount for a year after then go for it because if no one buys it at least you will get the discount when you purchase it.
  • I'm adding a few things. Two desks ($129 each), two file cabinets ($50 each), and a curio ($400). Then lots of smaller things.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Teralicious, I totally forgot about the discount aspect of registering...I'll definitely add some furniture if only for that, haha.
  • Stacey, I want to warn you abour Target furniture--it is TERRIBLE quality!  I had a dresser with child locks that would randomly triger themselves and then it was IMPOSSIBLE to get the drawers open.  Also, when we moved, the entire dresser split down the back and fell apart and we were really careful in packing and wrapped everything.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_would-register-furniture?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:a1cc64c6-6346-477e-8dde-7c2aaf1b114bPost:f54e91ed-4370-456c-8f71-eba39316a4d5">Re: Would you register for furniture?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think as long as you're registering for a few smaller pieces it's fine.  I wouldn't do anything over $500, and I would try to keep the pieces of furniture to three or four things, tops
    Posted by hoffse[/QUOTE]

This.  I wouldn't think twice if you registered for a $300 coffee table or something, but I would if you registered for a $4000 Tempur Pedic bed, KWIM?  Keep it limited and you should be okay.
    Anniversary
  • I think as long as you're registering for a few smaller pieces it's fine.  I wouldn't do anything over $500, and I would try to keep the pieces of furniture to three or four things, tops
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Since we both don't have our own place & need SO MANY of the basics, our registry is pretty full as-is, without furniture. I wish I could put a few on there, though. If I did, I'd do what the PP said in keeping it low cost & just a few small items. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. But considering we have so much on there already, I think it would be pushing it for me to put it now.

Since in my area, registries are only used for bridal shower gifts & cash is given at the wedding, I plan on adding a few pieces of furniture to the registry AFTER my shower. That way none of the guests see it, but I can use the completion discount to get it later. 
  • There are things that are super expensive that I want to register for but feel weird having a super expensive thing on the registry so I have decided to put it on the registry a day before we get married, that way most will have purchased our gifts and then I can still get the discount. Also who really cares if you register for something that is 5000, people are not obligated to buy it for you and if they judge who cares;  the discounts make a huge difference in the price.
  • I actually would have no problem with you registering for some very expensive pieces, because then at least I'd know you want it, and I'd probably get you a gift card that you could put toward it.
  • Before you add furniture to get a completion discount, check that furniture is eligible for the discount.

Furniture is so expensive, it's not something I would personally ask for on a registry.  Even if it was intended to be purchased myself with a completion discount, nobody else knows that.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_would-register-furniture?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:a1cc64c6-6346-477e-8dde-7c2aaf1b114bPost:7d869e45-d29b-42f5-b048-5af832492f47">Re: Would you register for furniture?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Before you add furniture to get a completion discount, <strong>check that furniture is eligible for the discount.</strong> Furniture is so expensive, it's not something I would personally ask for on a registry.  Even if it was intended to be purchased myself with a completion discount, nobody else knows that.
    Posted by Cortney1982[/QUOTE]

Crate and Barrel does.

I definitely have a few pieces I'd like to put on the registry -- even if I do it very last minute -- to get the 10% discount they offer on unpurchased items.
    Lizzie
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_would-register-furniture?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:a1cc64c6-6346-477e-8dde-7c2aaf1b114bPost:ff3cc882-50c0-4292-a968-c81d5a50041a">Re: Would you register for furniture?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I actually would have no problem with you registering for some very expensive pieces, because then at least I'd know you want it, and I'd probably get you a gift card that you could put toward it.
    Posted by jennylove810[/QUOTE]
    <div>
    </div><div>ditto this.</div><div>
    </div><div>I would think it's odd if you had ONLY expensive giant furniture pieces on your registry.  But if you have a variety of items and price points I think it's totally fine.  And you never know, people might go in as a group to buy you something big.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_would-register-furniture?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:a1cc64c6-6346-477e-8dde-7c2aaf1b114bPost:07d299c2-7ae3-4a64-978d-b9beb7bfce4c">Re: Would you register for furniture?</a>:
    [QUOTE]There are things that are super expensive that I want to register for but feel weird having a super expensive thing on the registr<strong>y so I have decided to put it on the registry a day before we get married, that way most will have purchased our gifts and then I can still get the discount.</strong> Also who really cares if you register for something that is 5000, people are not obligated to buy it for you and if they judge who cares;  the discounts make a huge difference in the price.
    Posted by teralicious[/QUOTE]

I would be careful with this. Some places have a rule that says the items have to have been on the registry for 30 days before the wedding in order to qualify for the discount.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_would-register-furniture?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:a1cc64c6-6346-477e-8dde-7c2aaf1b114bPost:ff3cc882-50c0-4292-a968-c81d5a50041a">Re: Would you register for furniture?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I actually would have no problem with you registering for some very expensive pieces, because then at least I'd know you want it, and I'd probably get you a gift card that you could put toward it.
    Posted by jennylove810[/QUOTE]

This.

And as a PP stated, just make sure you register for stuff besides the furniture, I wouldn't think anything of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards