July 2012 Weddings
Options

Differences with Utah Weddings

I was at a bridal faire today.  It occured to me that most people outside of Utah don't know how different things are here in Utah regarding weddings.   After living here for 12 years, here are some of the differences I have seen.  It kind of puts stuff into perspective because what you should be at our weddings is really just cultural influence and a result of where we happen to live (if we were in Afghanistan we'd be concering ourselves with a whole different list of things).  So I just have to laugh at so many etiquette rules, when it's really just geographical.

Temple marriages have few guests (maybe 50 depending on the sealing room size of that temple), and every adult must be a temple card holder (aka worthy Mormon).  No kids watch the ceremony (aka temple sealing).  Seals you together for time and all eternity.  There is no "til death do us part."  No rings are exchanged.  Couples can exchange rings at their reception which is mostly done for the non-temple guests. 

If your child is getting married in the temple and you are not a temple card holder, you cannot watch them get married.

No photography is allowed in the temple.  The money shot is when the couple exits the temple holding hands where they are greeted with people who weren't at the ceremony or allowed to go in the temple (like me, they let me inside the gournds though!).

Receptions are usually 2 hours long and always during prime meal times aka, (at least to the ones I've been to).  Usually a beverage and a sweet in the church gymnasium.  The couple doesn't really mingle much, they stand in their receiving line.  Guests line up to greet them, have some cake and then leave!  I haven't seen any dancing yet.  $25 gift seems to be the norm I've been advised.  Some couples have more than one reception depending on how far your hometown is (aka another state).  Brides usually wear their dress again.

There's always a wedding luncheon the day of the wedding with only close family and friends.  They don't have rehearsal dinners.  Although they might have bridesmaids, BMs do not do have anything to do with the ceremony.  Temple ceremonies are very religious and do not involve wedding parties (aka no processional, no one stands up there with you).

Some start Facebook events with, "If you want to get a reception invitation leave your address here!" and they literally send out 500 invitations (no RSVPs), which is an invitation to the cake and punch part only.  These invitations pretty much always have an engagement photo on them.  Every Utah wedding vendor assumes you will also want a photo to put on your wedding invitation. 

No veils, tuxes, or hats are allowed in the temple.  Gowns are modest. They have to cover all of the bride's temple garments which are basically like a capped sleeve Tshirt with a square neck.  They are issued these garments while in the temple to wear next to their skin at all times (the garment bottoms replace regular underwear, and your bra must be worn over the top of the shirt). 

Re: Differences with Utah Weddings

• Options
    Interesting! That sounds very different. Not like something I'd want to win in a contest, I guess :). Creepy dresscode! I think I've done this before, but let's line up the most important differences with Dutch/Belgian weddings:

- Tiered weddings are totally the norm. Ceremony is often just attended by the closest family and friends. After that, there's cocktail time for everyone the couple knows: colleagues, neighbours you hardly know... Dinner is for closer people again, sometimes just for family and bridal party. The current trend is to have a small dinner and than invite mostly the younger crowd/friends for dancing.

- People have two ceremonies: first a civil one, than a religious/spiritual one. This is required by law, at least the civil one. In Belgium, that one has to be performed at city hall. Afterwards, you can go to church or have a secular, more personalized ceremony yourself.

- Weddings in Belgium tend to last forever. Think dawn or later. That makes for a long ceremony, since people who have both ceremonies on the same day tend to start the festivities around 9 in the morning.

- No bridal party, every spouse has one, or maybe two witnesses. They don't stand up, they just sign the paperwork. You don't get to pick what they wear. As a result, picking certain colors is not done often here, although recently people start to look at international blogs and go with color themes.

- The groom doesn't wait at the altar, but picks up the bride at home. The walk down the aisle together, instead of having her dad give her away.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Wow, both of those are so different compared to what I'm used to! Thanks for sharing this, it's really interesting. 

There are actually things that both of you mentioned that I WISH were the norm where I'm from. Like tiered weddings. I know how horrible that sounds, and I would never do it because I know my feelings would be hurt if it were done to me, but I really wish I could invite more people that I didn't have to invite to EVERYTHING. Not because I'm looking for a gift or anything, I just wish I could include more people. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This is very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    This is probably an uneducated question, but is that a typical wedding for most of the state, or usually for Mormons?
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_differences-utah-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:31f74ac0-c66c-49e4-9d3f-f91ff490e494Post:611bbeb3-4606-476b-afdb-77e6eaaf3065">Re: Differences with Utah Weddings</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is probably an uneducated question, but is that a typical wedding for most of the state, or usually for Mormons?
    Posted by mekiakoo[/QUOTE]

Most of the state is Mormon or LDS, so yes it's the typical wedding for most of the state.  My little valley I think it 80% LDS, 20% non-LDS.  The LDS and nonLDS don't usually date each other.  Made for a really small dating pool for me!  LOL  Salt Lake City is more 50/50.

Oh, I did learn yesterday at that bridal faire that July is very slow for photographers in my valley because that's the month the temple gets a deep cleaning.  Interesting indeed!

That whole contest thing I mentioned early this week - they would not make me follow these customs I'm sure.  For one, I cannot even go inside the temple.

Here are some modest gowns. 
    <a href="http://petalsandpromisesbridal.com/mgown.html" rel="nofollow">http://petalsandpromisesbridal.com/mgown.html</a>
  • Options
    Elinetrouwt, I imagine some of the US etiquette rules seem pretty odd?
  • Options
    Well, I can certainly see where most of them are coming from. But for most of the things, I'm happy with our way. For example, walking down the aisle with the groom. But I'd love to be able to have just one, legally valid ceremony in the garden from our venue.

The tiered reception works both ways though. I'm happy that I don't have to feed all those people dinner, but it would be easier to get away with a smaller wedding if tiered reception weren't the norm here. I like the fact that weddings here tend to last long, but when I look at the cost, I wish it could be a six hour affair.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I like the couple walking down the aisle together actually.  I thought of this as well.

Oh and Utah engagements are super short - like 3 months on average.  They date usually less than a year too.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_differences-utah-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:31f74ac0-c66c-49e4-9d3f-f91ff490e494Post:250cdb50-090a-49ab-940f-864553931a70">Re: Differences with Utah Weddings</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like the couple walking down the aisle together actually.  I thought of this as well. Oh and Utah engagements are super short - like 3 months on average.  They date usually less than a year too.
    Posted by ginadog[/QUOTE]

<div>Because they wanna do it. </div>
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_differences-utah-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:31f74ac0-c66c-49e4-9d3f-f91ff490e494Post:073fa270-812d-438a-ad4a-a7bd5bc931e5">Re: Differences with Utah Weddings</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Differences with Utah Weddings : Because they wanna do it. 
    Posted by MeaganR12[/QUOTE]

BAHAHAHAHA! And you're probably right.

A lot of people here do that too. Since most people live with their parents until they get married (like my friend who is turning 30 this year and her father threatened to disown her when she wanted to move out last year!!) engagements are very short. They're all ready to move out of mom and dad's house and finally have their own privacy. One friend was engaged for a month!!! They did it so quickly because a family member was going to be in town but she told me she honestly preferred it that way.

There aren't bridal showers, luncheons or rehearsal dinners here. Though some like Eline said have been paying attention to what's going on elsewhere and have slowly started what's called a "kitchen shower".

I know there's some extremely traditional thing people do after they are engaged.. something about "asking for hand in marriage" but it's after he's proposed and only with the couples' parents so I'm not really sure what it's about.

Day of events is long here as well. Our ceremony will start at 11 and we have the place until 9.. and that's kind of early really. And we also have to do the same as in Belgium. Two ceremonies, one civil, one spiritual. In fact, you can't have a spiritual ceremony without have the proof of civil matrimony first!

There's a cute little custom where one person is named "maid of love" and it is a person that had something to do with the couple meeting. They always wear red. Not sure if we'll have one, though we easily could.. but I think it's kinda fun.

Father daughter, mother son, bride groom dances are combined into one. It's always a waltz and the parents dance with their children first and halfway through hand them off to dance with each other. Not doing this, we don't really care for waltzing.

Most receptions are at lunchtime since lunch is the biggest meal here. Only extremely fancy events are done at night.

Oh and apparently there's a cake flavor made SPECIFICALLY for weddings and is always served. But neither of us like it lol whoops!

That's all I can think of on my end.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards