Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Shower vs. Wedding gift?

This might be a dumb question but after reading a previous post I am thoroughly confused.  What gifts do people bring to your shower? I thought it was items off of your registry but then isn't that the same thing as a wedding gift???

Re: Shower vs. Wedding gift?

• Options
    In my circle you get a gift for the wedding and the shower, both off the registry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    A lot of times people will either give a physical gift for both or they will do a gift for shower then money for wedding. In my circle, they do money at the wedding. But sometimes people just bring a gift to the shower then nothing else is expected.
  • Options
    Some showers have "themes"  -- like a lingerie party, kitchenware party, "time of day" party or whatever.  In these cases, gifts are meant to fit the theme.  They certainly CAN come off of your registry, though for a lingerie party they probably won't :-)   

If it ISN'T a themed shower, then most gifts will probably come from your registry.  Some people give one gift for both the shower and wedding, some people give two gifts, some people give a gift for the shower and money for the wedding, etc.   Generally speaking, people DON'T give money for a shower (because nobody likes to see someone open a card with money...), but I think it's becoming a little more common to give gift cards.
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    In my circle, shower gifts are usually practical items from your registry (ie sheets, towels, every day dishes, kitchen utensils, etc) and wedding gifts are either "luxury" items like crystal, china, formal silverware, etc or money.

Me personally, I hate giving cash as a gift, so I tend to purchase from the registry for both the shower and wedding, I just usually give a nicer gift for the wedding. 
  • Options
    Ok that makes sense!  Thanks for clarifying!
  • Options
    Around her you give a physical gift during the shower and cash at the wedding.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_shower-vs-wedding-gift-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:aaf06e84-9af9-4412-8c45-da9b71083f3fPost:3abdf3e3-52c9-4ef7-b103-5ed615d75114">Re: Shower vs. Wedding gift?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Around her you give a physical gift during the shower and cash at the wedding.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

ditto.
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • Options
    I got a bunch of things that I registered for, I was very happy.  A few gave me gift cards to the store I am registered at. 
  • Options
    In my area of the country, BRIDAL showers are very different from WEDDING showers.

For a BRIDAL shower, the gifts are FOR THE BRIDE.  So she might get clothes, stationery, a desk set, a divider system for her car trunk, a gift cert for a spa visit or to her fav hair salon, make-up, etc.

For a WEDDING shower, the gifts are FOR THE COUPLE to set up their new hone together (or upgrade),  So the gifts might be kitchen items, bathroom towels, bed linens, etc.

We buy off the REGISTRY for the wedding - and those are more expensive, bigger gifts like china, crystal, etc.
  • Options
    I generally give off the registry for the shower and cash for the wedding.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_shower-vs-wedding-gift-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:aaf06e84-9af9-4412-8c45-da9b71083f3fPost:a6c33610-3d4f-439b-a85c-bf17f97ca442">Re: Shower vs. Wedding gift?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I generally give off the registry for the shower and cash for the wedding.
    Posted by ootmother2[/QUOTE]

That is how it usually works in my area.
    Anniversary Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    I generally use a registry for both as I prefer not to give cash, but will second much of what others have said.  Geography, family customs etc. have a lot of influence.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards