Registry and Gift Forum

Best place for ONE all-inclusive registry?

hi, i just joined the site and sorry if there's been a question like this already and I didn't see it.

I'm looking for a single place that can let me register EVERYTHING we need... an actual single store, not a third-party website. We each have things from our apartments we can use in the new house for sure, like the electronics (including the TV) and bedspread/sheets/mattress. I tried Crate and Barrel but they had such a limited supply of things--especially when it came to the couches, it wouldn't let me enter the color I wanted into the registry because they were "stock plus" colors for the item. I could've overlooked that but they also just didn't have the kind of dining room sets/china cabinets we're looking for for our home. I feel like I'm so picky but I just want this to go as smoothly as possible.
More specifically, we just need dining room, patio, and living room furniture, kitchen/dinner/glass/cookware, and organizers (shoe racks, tupperware, etc). IKEA would be perfect, but they don't have a registry option :/ (Also, somewhere that sells lawnmowers/snow plows/weed whackers and the like would be a bonus but not necessary)
Also, we live in the Midwest.

Does anyone know of a place with a wide selection of all of the above?
Please and thanks!

Re: Best place for ONE all-inclusive registry?

• Why not register at 2 stores?  That is totally OK. 

Many people like Macy's, Bed Bath & Beyond, Target, Kohl's, Sears, etc. 

You also don't have to register for everything (like a couch).  People will give you money and checks for wedding gifts even if you register, so you could plan on using that for furniture. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Sears... and they will credit almost anything to combine for bigger stuff..

You can also do crate and barrel and they will do gift cards toward furniture...And thir furniture is really nice . 
  • I did Macy's and BBB.  I get that you want one store, but that's somewhat unrealistic in a registry.

At Macy's, we registered for china, crystal, flatware, and towels.
    At BBB we registered for kitchen gadgets, bathroom things, and "fun" stuff.

We had fun with the little scanner guns, but if it's time/travel you're concerned about, you can do a registry online.
  • I'm using MyRegistry. It's working out pretty good - especially because you add a little button on your browser and I can add anythign from anywhere, including like 10,000 Villages. Additionally, theres an app. So, my FI and I went to Sears together and scanned a few items there that we wanted. The syncing of other registry's isn't very good. And the layout is a little blah, but it's working good for me... so far! 
  • edited December 2011
    I would do Sears and BBB, and plan to buy your own furniture with cash gifts that you receive.  I don't think I've ever seen furniture on a registry, and while I wouldn't be offended or anything, I wouldn't buy it.  

ETA: I also cannot imagine selecting all of my furniture at one store just because I was able to register there.  Pieces of furniture are big ticket items that you'll live with for a while, so I would not limit yourself to trying to make your style and preferences fit with what a particular store offers just because you will be able to register for a lot of things there.  Does that make sense?
  • I have found BBB to be the store with the most variety of items.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_place-one-inclusive-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:ad7849c4-7460-44d1-9e87-845caf093390Post:1dd44c11-7065-4a7c-ace6-5ae22ed0bfbd">Re: Best place for ONE all-inclusive registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would do Sears and BBB, and plan to buy your own furniture with cash gifts that you receive.  I don't think I've ever seen furniture on a registry, and while I wouldn't be offended or anything, I wouldn't buy it.   ETA: I also cannot imagine selecting all of my furniture at one store just because I was able to register there.  Pieces of furniture are big ticket items that you'll live with for a while, so I would not limit yourself to trying to make your style and preferences fit with what a particular store offers just because you will be able to register for a lot of things there.  Does that make sense?
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]

<div>This exactly. Just because you need furniture doesn't mean that you need to register for it. You will most likely get money and gift cards that you can use for furniture.</div><div>
    </div><div>If you look through the selection of items at BBB, Macy's, Pottery Barn, etc. it should become pretty clear which store has the plates and glassware that you like. </div>
  • OK I second (or third?) the comments about furniture.  I get that you need it, but maybe make a small registry and put cash you receive toward it instead of registering for it.  Or if you register for it do it at a place that will give you the discounts for it - CB and PB do that.  I don't think you're going to find one store that has everything you want.  CB is probably your best bet because they have a group gift option where people can put money toward high-ticket items without having to buy the whole thing.  Then they track who contributed toward it for you.  Maybe you can find a piece or two there that you want.

One other thing - if your registry is primarily furniture it's going to look super gift-grabby, just because everything will be high ticket.  You can't reasonably expect guests to spend hundreds (thousands?) of dollars to get you a nice dining room table or sideboard.  About 8 years ago a girl in my town registerd for a riding lawn mower at sears ($2000) and people are STILL talking about how tacky it looked.  Don't be her.

Macy's, CB, and PB are what I would recommend.  They each have some furniture that you could put on there - in the under $500 range - and they each carry dishes/entertaining stuff.  Macy's and CB also carry kitchen gadgets, etc.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    www.myregistry.com

you can put things from any store into one registry. free and really easy to use!!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Most areas of the country have readily accessible Macy's, Target and BBB...so I would say any of those. I love Pottery barn and Crate and Barrell but I'm in a pretty populated area and not super near either one of them (so I'm sure other areas of the country don't have a ton of them either).
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• Amazon!  a lot of the items are cheaper (and the same as those in store items), and you can also add on anything on any website using their 'universal registry' button.  all the thank you lists and stuff are managed directly from the amazon registry.

the only downside, is unless the particular store honors the amazon.com list, you won't get the after-wedding discount.
  • I think Macy's is a great option if you're looking for a store to carry everything. I would imagine stores like Macy's are the same. We did Macy's & Williams Sonoma, and honestly, could have gone with only Macy's if we wanted to. We cook a TON and love the products WS carries, so that's why we went there too, but like I said, we could have gotten away with only Macy's. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited February 2012
    I am using amazon.com because I have found it to be a lot cheaper and more all inclusive.  I tried to go with BBB but they didn;t have the china we wanted.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker "A wedding is a day, a marriage is a lifetime"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards