Registry and Gift Forum

Registry Confusion

Hello all!!

I know I am a bit away from registering for things, but I have already begun to think about it! 
We are honeymooning in Disney World, doing the cruise line and the parks. Disney has a honeymoon registry. Now you can "wish" for things like a photo packages, excursions, restuarants gc ect. 
We also need alot of everyday day things too. I dont want to wish for people to pay for our honeymoon (we already planned on that), just a few extra perks would be nice. But will I sound greedy doing this in additon to a traditonal registry? 

Re: Registry Confusion

• I would stay away from the HM registry.  They are basically just asking people for cash, which is very likely to offend people, even if they won't say so to your face.  I don't know how the Disney one works, but they often take a chunk out of the gift as a fee.  If guests want to give you money to use on your HM, they will just give you money.  We had three decent-sized (IMO) registries and still received a very generous amount of cash gifts.  
  • I would check Disney's policies and fees VERY carefully.  Like PP said, most "Honeymoon Registries" take out a fee, and then just give you a check for the rest.  So your guests think they're getting you a $150 couple's massage, but really you get a check from the registry company for $135, and no massage (unless you fork over the other $15, and book the thing yourself).  Most guests would rather just give you the $150 and let you do whatever you want with it.

Disney may not do this, but it's worth checking. 
    DSC_9275
  • hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I agree that it's worth checking Disney's policies very closely.  Most HM registries take out a fee and just cut you a check for the contributions minus their fee, which is annoying and deceptive to your guests.  Disney may be different since they own all the facilities and things you would want to do.  Personally I think it's better to just decide that you and your FI will set aside a certain amount or percentage of your cash gifts for those little extras.  It's totally fine to use your cash gifts on your honeymoon, but honeymoon registries can offend many people (because really, you're asking them to fund part of your vacation, even if it IS just for the bonus things) and sort of skeeze out others.  While I wouldn't necessarily mind buying you tickets to a show or whatever, I don't really want to get you a couples massage with the hot oil and all that.  That's a little too sex-tastic to me, you know?  Ultimately I think it's more tasteful to just stick to a normal registry.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Disney's HR used to be set up so that all gifts donated would be put on a Disney GC with no fees being charged to the giver or recipient, which meant you could only use it at Disney.  They have since changed their policies, and now they charge fees in addition to just cutting a check (not put on a gift card) to the recipient.
  • I'd say if you feel even a tiny bit uneasy about it, trust your insticts and avoid it altogether.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I think registries like this are inappropriate, and would not purchase off of them.

Make the traditional registry you want (big or small) and use cash gifts to purchase honeymoon experiences.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registry-confusion-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:b282b816-020e-4370-b828-dad23c5ff922Post:22399697-20f3-4d9d-9709-f3a7534f41cd">Re: Registry Confusion</a>:
    [QUOTE]Disney's HR used to be set up so that all gifts donated would be put on a Disney GC with no fees being charged to the giver or recipient, which meant you could only use it at Disney.  They have since changed their policies, and <strong>now they charge fees in addition to just cutting a check</strong> (not put on a gift card) to the recipient.
    Posted by strlzfan11[/QUOTE]
    I think that is terrible.
    I'd skip this registry and use a portion of the money guests give you and put it towards these perks.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registry-confusion-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:b282b816-020e-4370-b828-dad23c5ff922Post:2b72bb5b-60d2-49af-af8d-4cd409089d03">Re: Registry Confusion</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think registries like this are inappropriate, and would not purchase off of them. Make the traditional registry you want (big or small) and use cash gifts to purchase honeymoon experiences.
    Posted by RebeccaB88[/QUOTE]

<div>100% Agree</div>
  • Thanks for all the adivce!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards