Registry and Gift Forum

How much is TOO much?

Meaning... how many different stores can I reasonably register with?

I LOVE the Gold Touch bakeware and All-Clad Copper Core cookware that I believe are only available at William's Sonoma

I love the Hotel Collection towels at Macy's

I love the dinnerware and glassware at Crate and Barrel

I want the random stuff that Amazon has to offer.

Is it silly to have 4 different registries? Is it rude to register for just a couple of things at one store (i.e. just towels at Macy's)?

I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice you might have!

~ Shelly

Re: How much is TOO much?

• I would probably not just register for one item at a store. If you really want towels from Macy's, you can always use cash you will probably get from your wedding to purchase those. I would probably not have more than 3 registries. We had two, and I felt like at BBB they had everything we really needed anyway.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Pick one physical store and do an Universal Amazon registry (you can register for anything that Amazon offers).  The in-store is for those that don't want to purchase online and Amazon covers all the stores you listed above.

I wouldn't have more than two registries unless you're having a very large wedding (300+).
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I personally think two registries is a nice number.....maybe 3 at most.  I knew someone who had 4 or 5, and it got annoying trying to look through the different sites to pick something.  Just my opinion.
  • I personally think it's fine to have four. My cousin did and I didn't think it was odd or gift grabby. It will give your guests a lot of options!
  • I would do 2-3 registries.  Make one of them Amazon, and then you can add things from other stores on Amazon.  Pick the stores where you want the most stuff for your actual registries--keep in mind that many stores have some kind of completion discount, which you won't get it you add the items via Amazon's Universal Registry.  

FYI--I think that the All Clad Copper Core is not only at WS (I think Amazon has sets).  Those gold touch pans are great, though, and they are a WS exclusive, as far as I can tell.  We registered for some of the loaf pans by putting them on our Amazon Universal Registry, and then I just splurged on the muffin tin with some left over store credit...amazing.
  • mcskatcatmcskatcat member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2012
    I think two is best, three is okay if it's a fairly big wedding.  I just received an invite for a couple that has four registries and I've been judgy about it, and that's before I saw this post - so if that gives you an idea of what people will think....
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_how-much-is-too-much?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:b64ba15b-1cae-4273-9210-24155acee68dPost:af753b9d-de50-433b-b8d1-2569c551e788">Re: How much is TOO much?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think two is best, three is okay if it's a fairly big wedding.  I just received an invite for a couple that has four registries and I've been judgy about it, and that's before I saw this post - so if that gives you an idea of what people will think....
    Posted by mcskatcat[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>That's very helpful to know!</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>Thank you everyone for your help! :)</div>
  • I have the solution to your problem!!! GiftRegistry360.com
    We registered there and it combines multiple registries including Wililiam & Sonoma, Macy's as well as Crate& Barrel (among others!) Yay!
  • Yes! Exactly! Registry 360 is great. Gifts are sorted by price and guests can see multiple items from different stores. Whatever gift they select will dictate the store. Yay!

Anniversary
  • I think two registries are top, BUT if you register with Amazon you can add things from other websites and not seem so obnoxious :D  I'm registering at Amazon because they have awesome deals and a more wide variety of things we can register for, and Target for those that don't like shopping online.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_how-much-is-too-much?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:b64ba15b-1cae-4273-9210-24155acee68dPost:e79a86b6-85d7-41e2-8c38-0cd6388dc9ba">Re: How much is TOO much?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I personally think two registries is a nice number.....maybe 3 at most.  I knew someone who had 4 or 5, and it got annoying trying to look through the different sites to pick something.  Just my opinion.
    Posted by MrsMeganL2012[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree with this. My step brother is getting married in July and I looked at their registry. It is so annoying to look through 30 things on one site then go to another and another and another. Pick 2 or 3 and then use cash to buy the rest at the other places.</div>
  • hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I'm always in the minority on this one.  It depends entirely on your circle.  4-5 is common in my circle.  I've seen as many as 10 listed on somebody's website.  4 would not make me bat an eye, and I would frankly appreciate the additional options if I was a guest.  Usually it's 3-4 national chains and one local fine china place for the people I know.  In my circle it's also not uncommon for the china to run upwards of $300-$500+ per place setting and for people to register for more than 500 items.  Different strokes, you know?   But I also don't live in NJ where a poster earlier today said she would NEVER shop off the registry for the wedding itself!  Ummm... in my circle the registry is for showers, weddings, holidays, birthdays, etc. leading up to it, and people get pissy when there's not enough selection so you're backed into a corner with no options if you're a late shopper.  My advice would be to registry-stalk a few people you are friends with or know got married recently to see what they did.  That will give you an idea.

That said, if all you want at WS is gold touch pans and all you want at macys are towels, just do the amazon universal registry button.  The all-clad copper core pans are carried elsewhere, and I think amazon might sell them.  The only cookware that is WS exclusive as far as I can tell is the all-clad d5 line, though I might be wrong on that.  I know I would get irritated if I opened your macy's registry and only saw the towels and nothing else.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • thinking from a guest's perspective... the weddings that I have shopped for had 2 registries for the most part. Sometimes three. I would be annoyed to go to the store and find out that I have two things to pick from. And then have to go to another store. And then another. Especially if you have older guests who don't do the whole online thing. So it is always nice from you to spread your registry out evenly.
    We're registered in two places, each has a similar number of items and a good price range.
    Of course, there is no rule about this, but it is a matter of being courteous to your guests.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In order to keep things simple, I registered at just 2 stores.  Both have everything I need and they're simple to manage. 
    Anniversary
  • 2 registries are the norm in my circle, rarely 3. Use the Amazon Universal registry for stuff from the stores you want the fewest amount of things from.  The only other thing I'd take into consideration is how accessible a physical store is to your guests that don't online shop. My older relatives don't order anything off the internet so I made sure that one of my two had a physical store where they all live. 
    Visit The Nest!  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I would do 2... but it depends on your circle and amount of guests. I have 2 local stores and am thinking about another just for oot but not sure.  If you just want 1 or 2 things from a store, I wouldn't bother registering there... you most likely will get cash so save some for those purchases.

However if the registries have a good amount of items in various price ranges, I would go for it. I personally would not think too much about someone who had 4 registries.  More options I say.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards