Registry and Gift Forum

XP: Registry Completion?

So, I got my first "shower" gift today--a gift card to one of the stores I'm registered at.

I'm going to get the thank you card out right away, and I know normally, we say "thanks for the gift card! I'm going to use it to buy ____ for ____."

HOWEVER, I sort of want to wait until after the date, because of registry completion discounts. What should I say?

ALSO, SIDE NOTE: What IS Kohl's Completion Discount? Here is the link, but it's a little confusing.

Also, Target's? Macy's? Those are my other two. Just wondered if any of you guys used them and used the discounts successfully. Like. Do I have to wait until after the wedding?

Re: XP: Registry Completion?

• s-aries8990s-aries8990 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_xp-registry-completion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:bfb7c82f-c429-4d76-a58a-ef0a2dbee2b8Post:ba085807-45ef-4069-9cc9-7a541e87e3d4">XP: Registry Completion?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, I got my first "shower" gift today--a gift card to one of the stores I'm registered at. I'm going to get the thank you card out right away, and I know normally, we say "thanks for the gift card! I'm going to use it to buy ____ for ____." HOWEVER, I sort of want to wait until after the date, because of registry completion discounts. What should I say?
    Posted by Domino04[/QUOTE]

I'd just say that you'll use it to buy leftover registry items after the wedding. I went to a wedding this fall and I got the couple a gc to the store because I couldn't afford to buy what was left on their registry (and I was NOT going to buy just one pillow...). It'll be true, and I'm sure that's what the giver wants - that's what I wanted when I gave the gc.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I am not implying you should lie, but to me, you don't have to USE the gift card by the time you send the thank you. I would send that right away, and then if you'd like just as you said, use it once your discount kicks in. You can just say "thanks for the GC, we look forward to finding something special after the wedding!" Or even say a specific registry item. If you don't end up using it for that, it can simply be because you changed your mind or someone else bought it for you. Either way, I don't think the sender is going to ask for a receipt or be that skeptical of the timeline.
  • We got a gift card the other day in the mail and I was wondering the same thing.  I wrote out the Thank You card saying that we planned on using it towards completing our dinnerware set we had registered for.  I probably won't hold onto every gift card we get for after the wedding to do the completion sale.  Macys has been running a lot of good sales on the items we've put on there, so after my shower, my FI and I are going to take a look at the registries again and see what's left, and what we'd like to buy first off of them.

I believe that completion sales are not until after your wedding date.  I know that Macys is 10%, but sometimes they will let you use that in addition to whatever sale is going on with the items that are left. The sales lady had told me last week when I asked, they often run a 20% off completion sale, it just depends.  I have no clue about Target, if they even have one.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I dont think Target has a completion event, but they mail you a 10% of coupon for a day of shopping.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards