Registry and Gift Forum
Options

What's your preference: Cash or Registered Gifts?

2»

Re: What's your preference: Cash or Registered Gifts?

• Options
    We want both, the cash we can put away and the gifts (there arent too many on my registry) are mostly things that we need and some that we want.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    We're paying for our own wedding so cash would be a nice gift to help recoup some of the expenses. And to be honest, I do have two gift registries but we already live together and really have no room for additional stuff. When gifts come in, our old stuff has to be sold or donated. The registries are there because it's not PC to come right out and ask for money.
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind either, cash or registered gifts.  We had an engagement party and got about 50/50.  We put the cash away to start saving for a place of our own.  I had to put the gifts away in storage until he can get into our new place next month.  I just realized we also have to furnish this new place so I will be taking back some of the things I mindlessly threw on the Macys registry to use the credit toward their furniture department.  I'd really like to get some of the Williams Sonoma bakeware, but its turning out to be our least touched registry so I have made my future husband promise to buy it for me over the course of the next several birthdays and holidays. Wink

Only 2 people gave us gifts outside of the registry at the engagement party.  Both items are useless to us.  One of the gift givers is my fiance's best man.  He is getting married soon after us and he will be putting "No boxed gifts please" on his invitation (this is how a lot of Indian couples blantanly ask for cash on their invites).  I gave him a piece of my mind seeing as he is asking for cash for his wedding but felt it was ok to bring junk to our party.  It was my bridezilla moment, but it made me feel good. Yell
  • Options
    My fiance and I are pretty much set for any household goods.  I'm 36 and my fiance is 40 and we're both well established.  We would prefer cash only to go towards our honeymoon.  At least the money would go into some good use.  A free vacation paid by my friends and family!!!!  That would be awesome!!!
  • Options
    I would love either, but cash or gift cards would be more convenient for us because my husband is in the military.  It will be a pain to have to move everything... with cash and gift cards we can get our stuff after we move.
  • Options
    I know this may sound bad, but I dont prefer a gift with a bow!  the only registry we are creating in a honeymoon registry so I guess my answer would be our registered item.  Weve lived together for 3 years and have blended both of our households already so we have plenty of household items.  We would prefer our friends and family contribute to the part of our lives that will set the foundation of memories of us in our new lives together.  Our honeymoon memories and experience is somthing that will be irreplaceable so i think that they would be happy to have a part in helping to create those memories.
  • Options
    I would love to get the gifts I registered for because we spent the time picking them out and they are things we need/want. If we get money at our wedding we are probably going to go buy the things we registered for anyways. Any gift from anyone is appreciated and very thoughtful but I'd much rather open a gift than open a card with money.
    Best of luck!
  • Options
    I think we are the minority here. We really don't need either. Sure, everyone could use more money, it's not as if we are loaded, but we're not in debt either. And we both had a house full of stuff before we moved in together so there's really not room for new things. We had a very hard time registering and didn't come anywhere near enough items for all of our guests to buy something.
    Many of our guests will be spending a lot to get here as they are out of town and we are trying to convince them that their presence at the wedding is our gift and we do not expect a physical gift from them.
  • Options
    Bridal Shower = Gifts from our registry

Wedding = Money baby!
  • Options
    Honestly I prefer to open gifts as well. However, I just found out though that you can do something were people give money to put towards your honeymoon or can buy a package for an activity that you can do during your honeymoon... like swim with the dolphins. Right now we don't have a whole lot of money so we might do a little bit of both.
  • Options
    For the Bridal shower I would prefer gifts. For the reception - money. 
    The registry is usually created with items that we are really need. Bridal shower historically meant shower of gifts, so yes, gifts for the shower. Also if you smart you will have low cost items on the registry, so people who want to bring gifts to the shower and give money for the wedding will not be cornered. 
    Reception if usually costly venue. If you pay for your reception, then you definitely want money to cover expense as much as possible. If you don't pay for your reception (your parents are), then you might want more presents. Remember though, if you live with your fiancee before the wedding and you have pots and sheets and china, then may be you still prefer money that you can put towards your house purchase, renovations or babysitter :) 
  • Options
    We are both in our 30's and have been living together (bought a house, etc) for 6 years, so there's nothing we need... so we're hoping for more cash, but have registered for a few things we'd still like to have to give people the option. 

Of course, we don't put registry info on our invitations, wedding stationary, etc. so when guests ask our moms & wedding party, our moms will say "they're registered at .............. but you know they have everything, so money would be great for their honeymoon" and we'll put that into the honeymoon fund (which we have also set up). 

asking  for money is never acceptable tho.  Of course, with a gift receipt, you could probably return gifts for money, if you chose to & the store policy allowed it.
  • Options
    I would be happy either way.  FI and I are Korean-American, so we're pretty much guaranteed to get some cash, which will help us offset the cost of the wedding or get some items off our registry that we didn't get.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards