Registry and Gift Forum
Options

bridal party gifts

is this where i would post a question about gifts for my bridal party?

i'm stuck on what to get my girls!  i don't want any of the mongrammed stuff theknot shop sells because it's not suitable for my girls (my fiance will probably get personalized flasks for the groomsmen because they'd all love that).  what did you guys get or what can you suggest?

*my MOH is going to be starting her Masters in forensic anthropology, loves vegetarian food, working out and starbucks. she will be living on her own for school.

*my BM is a graphic desinger who lives in the city and loves eclectic jewlery and clothes. 

*my other BM is finishing her math degree and will be travelling across Europe this fall. 

Re: bridal party gifts

• Options
    The line you will hear is to shop for them like it's their birthday. What can you get them that is perfect for them? Some ideas that may or may not apply, but will hopefully help you get some ideas: MOH: coffee theme with mugs, Starbucks gift card, a bag of her favorite blend BM1: go on Etsy and find a unique piece of jewelry that really suits her BM2: do you know what countries she will be visiting? Guide books, especially those Moleskine City Books that are small and discreet; luggage tags, some traveling essentials, maybe one of those shirts from REI that dries super fast so she can do laundry while traveling
  • Options
    So, I've still got time and am not sure about it but I'm getting (as of now lol) each of the girls in my party a silver bracelet with their name on it. While I do understand personal gifts for each of my ladies, it's important to me to stay true to our wedding as well. I've always liked the idea of jewelry given before the event so the ladies can wear it to the wedding and feel special too but perhaps that is just me....
    Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    For MOH, what about some workout gear or a gift card to a stor where she can buy some. Also, a vegetarian cookbook or a gift card to her favorite veg restaurant? 

I like bonzo's idea for the BMs. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_bridal-party-gifts-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:ca25d5ac-5a4c-49a9-90fa-d321d8aba75dPost:5fc74ff0-13eb-46db-be95-373bcc8a5a8a">Re: bridal party gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, I've still got time and am not sure about it but I'm getting (as of now lol) each of the girls in my party a silver bracelet with their name on it. While I do understand personal gifts for each of my ladies, it's important to me to stay true to our wedding as well. <strong>I've always liked the idea of jewelry given before the event so the ladies can wear it to the wedding and feel special too</strong> but perhaps that is just me....
    Posted by tkddddddddd[/QUOTE]

<div>"Here, you can keep some of the wedding decor."  How is that a gift and how would that make them feel special in the least?  It makes them feel like an afterthought.  </div>
  • Options
    i've seen the jewlery idea and i like it but my girls don;t wear jewlery. 
    I guess my concern was getting something appropriate for a wedding...so things I'd buy for their birthday is alright?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_bridal-party-gifts-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:ca25d5ac-5a4c-49a9-90fa-d321d8aba75dPost:c53cedfa-d6e4-4c0a-a366-39329d4ed5c5">Re: bridal party gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]i've seen the jewlery idea and i like it but my girls don;t wear jewlery.  I guess my concern was getting something appropriate for a wedding...so things I'd buy for their birthday is alright?
    Posted by christinavy[/QUOTE]

You did say one of your BMs likes eclectic jewelry, so for her that might be a good gift. But jewelry used as a prop in the wedding is not a good gift. Let it be their decision whether to wear the gift or not (if that's what you do.)

Wedding party gifts are a thank you for being part of everything. So, it makes sense that each person should really love and appreciate their thank you gift right? Saying "shop like its their birthday" is just an easy way to say buy something that is uniquely perfect for them.
  • Options
    I have received earrings as a bridesmaid gift before and I wasn't upset or made to feel like the bride made me part of the decor.  It was nice to have something to wear on the big day and I occassionally do wear them again.  Gifts are a nice gesture and I think it is not very nice for people to be so judgmental of a gift or have specific expectations.  Everyone has a different budget and thought process for what they pick out their girls - I think they should handle this in however manner they see fit that shows their personality and how they envision what their girls would like.  If that be earrings, so be it.  I have never once thought of earrings as an afterthought.   
  • Options
    Bonzo2011Bonzo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_bridal-party-gifts-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:ca25d5ac-5a4c-49a9-90fa-d321d8aba75dPost:6dad3ad8-dd76-48e3-b0d4-39bf6740124f">Re: bridal party gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have received earrings as a bridesmaid gift before and I wasn't upset or made to feel like the bride made me part of the decor.  It was nice to have something to wear on the big day and I occassionally do wear them again.  Gifts are a nice gesture and I think it is not very nice for people to be so judgmental of a gift or have specific expectations.  Everyone has a different budget and thought process for what they pick out their girls - I think they should handle this in however manner they see fit that shows their personality and how they envision what their girls would like.  If that be earrings, so be it.  I have never once thought of earrings as an afterthought.   
    Posted by Lang125[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone is saying jewelry itself is a bad gift. If someone likes jewelry and would honestly appreciate it, there is nothing wrong with that. And if you choose to wear the gift for the wedding, there is nothing wrong with that either.

The difference is when the gift comes with a demand. If the bride gives some nice jewelry and says "this is what you're wearing tomorrow" it is more like a prop than a gift. It looses that feeling of being a thank you. But, if the bride just gives the jewelry and the bridesmaid likes it and chooses to wear it to the wedding, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Does that make sense?

I will say, I have gotten jewelry that some brides here would consider "prop" jewelry, but I did still consider it a very personal gift. My friend makes custom jewelry pieces, and she made individualized necklaces and earrings for all of the female attendants. They all used the same crystals that coordinated with the dresses, but each had a different pendant and style. I love my jewelry from that wedding, and I have worn it again. But there was so much personal thought and attention in each piece, I almost feel like that time she spent was the real gift, if you will.

I hope this helps make sense of the distinction for you. Like I said, jewelry isn't a bad gift, it's the demand that makes it a poor gift.
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat as you as far as buying for my girls so no suggestions there.  I did find some really cute makeup bags on Etsy that seem nice because they could use them all the time, but I have no clue what I'd put inside them.

But for your FI and his groomsmen, I highly recommend the seller EngravingYou on Etsy!!   We ordered 6 personalized flasks from her - they ended up only being $10 each with free shipping.  My FI went online and found graphics to fit each of the groomsmens' personalities (ie. a video game character they love, something that fits with their nickname, etc), and she engraved each flask with a different image.   She does monogrammed ones too, but I thought the image thing was more unique.  I was very impressed with the quality and how they turned out!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards