Registry and Gift Forum

Honeymoon Registry???

2»

Re: Honeymoon Registry???

• I didn't read all these posts because I know exactly what most of them say. However, I think HM registries are completely fine to make. My H and I only had a traditional registry but a good friend of mine had a HM registry for her wedding. As a guest, we only heard positive things from other guests who used the registry. No one I came across judged them because it was not rude. You want a toaster? Nice--register for it. You want to go snorkeling? Nice-register for it. Registries are OPTIONAL. In no way, shape, or form are any of your guests obligated to buy anything off any type of registry. So really, registries are just suggestions. If a guest doesn't like the suggestion, they'll opt for some other option of their choice. Personally, my friends really wanted that horse back riding excursion and it meant a lot to me that I was able to provide her with what she wanted (the same way someone traditional would have provided a bride with a toaster she was desiring). Was I charged an extra fee? Yes, and I don't care. I'm not that frugal where $7 really makes a difference. Nor am I judgemental of her choices. I'm not trying to change anyone's viewpoints on here because I know what most of them think. But that is just my opinion.

Also, the analogy about 'pretend its a normal day..." doesn't make any sense. At all. If it was a normal day, you wouldn't be asking for a toaster or fine china either.

"Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • The Sandals registry is a service that we used to budget for our honeymoon, to make a wedding website and to commuicate the items we are suggesting to guests.  It costs money to have these services.  We and our guests have been cool with the fees.
  • I understand your line of thinking on wanting a honeymoon registery.  My Fiance and I have two apartments full of stuff.  Most people would be ready to upgrade to some nicer things after marraige but we are still young and not in need of China or meat grinders. Plus we are moving soon after marriage so getting a lot of stuff doesn't make sense.  Honestly we do need the money.  Every married coupled does.  Weddings are ridiculously expensive these days! But we aren't going to ask for it.

We've told our parents the situation and asked them to politely pass on that we already have a lot of houseware and are moving.  We plan on doing a registry because some guests really want to get you a gift.  Not just money.  We will keep the registry fairly small.  We also have a wedding website with a "future" section that just lets our guests know that we are moving.  Money would be great but we are happy to accept any gifts.  I know when planning a wedding it's really hard to just look past all the money you are spending and your first instinct is to try and recooperate some of that money.  You just can't think like that though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards