Registry and Gift Forum

Anyone thought of Ketubah Registry?

I am super excited that I am on my way to an amazing wedding. We just got engaged and I have a million things to do and figure out, but I want to start with some of the more important and traditional aspects of my wedding. There is so much help and advice out there for all the big stuff that I am confident I will find everything. 

One of the first things that I want to take care of is my Ketubah (traditional Jewish wedding contract), I don't want something that looks like my grandparents went through the depression with, I want something amazing, just like the rest of the wedding will be.

So, I have been considering getting a Commissioned Ketubah, where I will sit down with an artist and have them design a ketubah just for me. While I was doing my research I came across this site http://thisisnotaketubah.com/

Do you ladies think it's weird to register for a Ketubah?

Re: Anyone thought of Ketubah Registry?

• I think it's one of those things that if you really want it you have to pay for it yourself.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Mazal tov on your engagement.  I wouldn't register for a ketubah or anything that you need for the wedding.  The website you linked to looks like it's just asking for money to put toward the ketubah, which I am never a fan of.  If someone asks you if they can get you a Judaica gift or something really special, you can suggest it, but I would plan to get it yourself.  Also, by "I will sit down with an artist and have them design a ketubah just for me," I hope you mean "we" and "us."  While the ketubah was given to me at our wedding, DH and I both designed it and now we display it in our home. 
  • First, mazel tov!

Second, yes, I think this isn't a good registry item.  A simple scroll, without much illumination or fancy calligraphy, will make as nice and valid a ketubah as one of the fancy illuminated and lettered ones (although I'll admit, I'd love a beautiful ketubah myself).
  • oh my, absolutely NOT.
  • You definitely shouldn't ask people to contribute toward your Ketubah.  If you want a fancy one, then you should budget for it yourself.   The thing is, if someone DID want to buy you a Ketubah (or chip in for one), then you would have no say in the actual design.   And what if nobody wants to buy it for you or contribute?   

Definitely plan on paying for it yourself.
    DSC_9275
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_anyone-thought-of-ketubah-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:ccb0469f-3826-43c2-bf3b-7892adc07123Post:9f3261de-b81d-46e1-880a-476367de334f">Re: Anyone thought of Ketubah Registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You definitely shouldn't ask people to contribute toward your Ketubah.  If you want a fancy one, then you should budget for it yourself.   <strong>The thing is, if someone DID want to buy you a Ketubah (or chip in for one), then you would have no say in the actual design.</strong>   And what if nobody wants to buy it for you or contribute?    Definitely plan on paying for it yourself.
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

<div>I disagree with the bolded.  If someone does offer to gift you your ketubah, I am sure they will want you to be happy with it and want to go with what you want, within their budget.  I think it would be an unusual thing for someone to surprise you with and give you no input into.  Ours was a gift from the artist, a family friend, and it was totally custom designed based on our input.</div><div>
    </div><div>@Avion, I just noticed your sig--CONGRATULATIONS!!</div><div>
    </div><div>ETA: Also, where is OP?  I am beginning to think she is a vendor, because this website was recently mentioned on Jewish Weddings by someone that I think is definitely a vendor.  </div>
  • I think she's a vendor, too...

Congrats Avion!!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_anyone-thought-of-ketubah-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:ccb0469f-3826-43c2-bf3b-7892adc07123Post:d85301b0-7c3e-4838-b205-81dc5dfc6222">Re: Anyone thought of Ketubah Registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone thought of Ketubah Registry? : <strong>Pictures, please?</strong> Congratulations Avion!
    Posted by Edie Bee[/QUOTE]

I will try to remember when I get home from work!
  • Hi Girls!

No I am not a vendor, but I did see the other post and that is what led me to the website.

I work at night so I can only read the post during the day. Kind of hurtful that a no response for a couple of hours leads you all to believe I am just fishing for clicks.

But, thank you for your advice, and comments. I will take them into consideration on whether or not we choose to register for the Ketubah. And the comments did make me think of one thing, my parent got their ketubah from all of my moms aunts, I would not be surprised is my mom and her sister might want to do the same thing, in which case this would make it easy for all of the to chip in with their part.

Thanks for all the comments :(
  • I'm glad you got some ideas from the comments.  The combo of not posting again for a while, having no prior posts, and posting something about a specific website on the same day that you join all pointed to vendor, but I'm happy to hear that you're not.  There are lots of websites that do special ketubahs as well as Etsy artists, so look around.  I don't know what kind of ceremony you are having, but just make sure that your officiant is ok with the wording you pick (or that your artist suggests) before you have it made. 
  • A registry is a "wish list" and nothing is guaranteed- so if no one buys it, you won't have one! Not good! lol I would adjust your budget and plan on paying for it yourself. I think it's a little weird to register for one- to me it feel like you might as well register for the rings/ plates per person.... I would just register for traditional "wish list" items- items you'd love to have, but can certainly get married and survive without :) 

(now, you don't need to only register for traditional china/linens/kitchen wares, you can add in some fun stuff- coolers, camping equipment, large appliances, art work- just don't ask people for cash/money in anyway (honeymoon or charity registires), because that's poor eiquette!)
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited November 2012
    Here you go, Edie:

• Jessica and Edie, those are lovely!

Avion, CONGRATULATIONS! :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Thanks, Edie and Ali!  Edie, your ketubah is beautiful.  We have ours framed and hanging in our dining/living room, and I love seeing it all the time.
  • Wow, Edie, that's big! It's so beautiful that you could use it as the main focal point and decorate a whole room around it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We have our huppah taking up a whole wall in our bedroom.  Do you have space to put your ketubah in your bedroom (and do you want it in there)?
  • My aunt made our huppah (it's a photo quilt), and then we used poles that DH and a friend made.  So far the poles have been used in one other wedding...we are trying to start a little tradition with them, although it's not exactly easy to transport 8' tree branches around the country.

• I found this etsy seller on pinterst that does modern style ketubah and tranforms your photo into canvas art to be signed at your wedding.
    www.geezees.com

https://www.etsy.com/listing/95521906/modern-photo-ketubah-ketubot-canvas

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards