Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Honeymoon Registry

My fiance and I are thinking about registering for experiences on our honeymoon.  We are combining two already established households and we don't need anything.  We have all our dishes, linens, pots & pans, etc.  The people we have talked this over with have all thought it was a great idea, but I would like some more opinions.  Anyone think this is tacky or rude?
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Honeymoon Registry

• Options
    A lot of people on here will tell you it is tacky and rude.  I tend to lean in that direction too.  A honeymoon is not required.
  • Options
    If people in your social circle think it is fine then I would definitely go for it.  We are using www.honeyfund.com.  I would also create at least a small regular registry for those who like to give a tangible gift.  Just a warning, most people on this board think they are tacky and rude, obviously I do not (since we are having one).  If you have any questions about it, feel free to PM me.
    October 2010 September SC - 1st Anniversary Plans:
    Trip to Prague & bring home furbaby when we get back
    imageimage
    ~ Karen ~
    **Wedding/House/Travel Bio **
  • Options
    I think that they are a little tacky.  I especially dislike them when I know the couple has been on several vacations together.  The idea of wedding gifts is about setting up your new life and home together. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I understand why people find them rude.  I'll start with that.

However, I also understand not wanting to register for nicer linens- our linens were just fine.  I understand not wanting to register for nicer dishes and pots and pans- we had a wonderful set of calphalon pans and a brand new set of dishes.  I understand not wanting to register for random kitchen gadgets- our cabinets are already full in our tiny kitchen.  I don't need more crap to put in there.

I would much rather give money to a couple so that they can have a once in a lifetime experience on a honeymoon- swimming with dolphins, snorkeling, hot air balloon ride, etc. than give them some bath towels when they already have nice towels.  I don't understand the philosophy that you can always use more towels... uh, no you can't.  I have a few sets.  Then my linen closet is full. 

That being said, I would happily give money to a honeymoon registry.  We however did not set one up because I understand that many people seem offended by them. 

We couldn't afford a honeymoon right away.  Now we've saved some money and we're going almost 10 months later.  No big deal.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:d3297ab0-19df-4d8f-98a9-acbb5b7d0554Post:d5812f28-7e71-42c8-986a-6862393c9b7e">Re: Honeymoon Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]A lot of people on here will tell you it is tacky and rude.  I tend to lean in that direction too.  A honeymoon is not required.
    Posted by RebeccaB88[/QUOTE]

Gifts, are not "REQUIRED" anyway. It's just a gesture to start off a newlywed couple's new life together. Why ask for things you don't need?

My FI and I are using honeyfund, and people have responded really well to it. Most people think it's pretty neat! Less impersonal than cold hard cash. I'd rather give a candlelit dinner on the beach than a vacuum cleaner to any newlywed.
    Hochari Tarpu chonge wanga
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2010
    Some people won't like the idea, some will.  If you feel your friends and family will embrace it, then go for it.  My advice is to register for extras only--not your hotel room or your flight.  Plan a trip you can afford and have the gifts just be special extras like a nice dinner, excursions, etc.  I also advise doing a small traditional registry as well to give people another option, or if someone is throwing you a shower--no one wants to sit there for an hour watching you open cards.

The sticky at the top of this forum has some great ideas for registering when you can't think of anything.
  • Options
    i think they are a great idea.  just as long as you plan a vacation you can afford without any help and you actually use the money people gave towards things on your honeymoon.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I think a honeyfund is a great idea.  My cousin got married and my family was so excited to help them with the honeymoon.  The couple had airfare, a night in a fancy hotel and lots of activities on it.  Even my grandmother, very traditional, thought it to be a wonderful concept.  The couple still had a traditional registry as well.   I do know one uncle was adamant his gift be something the couple could use forever, like china.  If your family and friends like it, go for it! 
  • Options
    I've never understood why people think honeymoon registry is tacky... even before I decided to do one of my own. I think it's more tacky to ask for things you don't need or want. And especially in the case that you have lived together already. Although I think it's important to know how your own friends and family will respond. Most of our family know that my fiance and I are paying for most of the wedding ourselves. Most of them that I've talked to about the honeymoon registry think it's a great idea. We certainly don't deserve to not get a honeymoon just because we are paying for our own wedding.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:d3297ab0-19df-4d8f-98a9-acbb5b7d0554Post:d5812f28-7e71-42c8-986a-6862393c9b7e">Re: Honeymoon Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]A lot of people on here will tell you it is tacky and rude.  I tend to lean in that direction too.  A honeymoon is not required.
    Posted by RebeccaB88[/QUOTE]

I love the thinking that a honeymoon is not required, so should not be registered for. I know it's not, of course, but the sentence seems to imply that china and crystal vases <strong>are</strong> required for a couple's new life together..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards