Registry and Gift Forum

How many settings?

How many settings should we register for? We are registering for casual dinnerware & china.

Thanks!

Re: How many settings?

• We got twelve of each, plus 12 each of crystal wine glasses, iced beverage glasses and double old fashioneds. We registered for 8 highball and 8 double old fashioned every day glasses. I would just take into account how much entertaining you do or how big your family is, and then add an extra set or two of everything in case one breaks.
  • Depends on how big your family is/how much you expect to use it.  We registered for 18 formal and 10 everyday place settings (kind of an odd number of everyday - I think I was thinking 5 dinners at home per week, so 10 plates per week).  The number of formal settings was based on the thought that our family will continue to get bigger as the rest of our siblings get married/have children/etc, and we wanted to accommodate everyone.

I think typically people do 8-12 settings.
  • I am not registering for china (no where to keep it, wouldn't use it) but I did register for 12 settings of my everyday and 8 settings of Correll (more so for quick meals and such).
    Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We have 12 everyday.  I think it is a nice number.  

Your 10 number is planning on 2 of you.  If you have 2 kids that might make you want a few more dishes :)  
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_how-many-settings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:e6d2bb9a-38ae-48d0-b6c8-f09348001688Post:4ec04897-e65e-4044-bbaa-e62ad73fe6b7">Re: How many settings?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have 12 everyday.  I think it is a nice number.   Your 10 number is planning on 2 of you.  If you have 2 kids that might make you want a few more dishes :)  
    Posted by Wiscisbliss[/QUOTE]

Good point!  That's funny, I'm usually such a forward thinker (as evidenced by my number of formal settings) and that one totally got past me!  Well, our everyday is reasonably enough priced that we can add to it down the line - or replace it - without breaking the bank.
  • edited March 2012
    We registered for 12 place settings. Although it's probably more than we needed, it will be nice to have enough for a large party if that ever happens.

ETA: this is for our formal china, not everyday dishes
    Anniversary
  • Most people register for 12 of their formal china, but definitely add more if your family is larger and you forsee being the hostess for holiday meals.  For your every day, I would do 8-10 knowing that your family will grow and you may have people over for informal entertaining.  Don't forget the table linens and enough napkins for all and then extra in case there are stains or tears.
  • We did 12 and 12. Our casual is Fiestaware, so it's not going anywhere anything soon. I can always add another color if I feel like 16 fits us better in the future.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I already have 8 of our china, so I'm registering for 4 more to bring that up to 12.  I'm also doing 16 of our every day (fiesta) because I honestly HATE not having enough plates... even if they don't all fit in the dishwasher at once, I would rather have extras than not have enough.  Honestly, I would make sure that you have at least enough every day place settings to completely fill your dishwasher if you have one.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_how-many-settings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:e6d2bb9a-38ae-48d0-b6c8-f09348001688Post:5a702c91-f6af-4dc5-8aae-7849b7c6b7ba">Re: How many settings?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Depends on how big your family is/how much you expect to use it.  We registered for 18 formal and 10 everyday place settings (kind of an odd number of everyday - I think I was thinking 5 dinners at home per week, so 10 plates per week).  The number of formal settings was based on the thought that our family will continue to get bigger as the rest of our siblings get married/have children/etc, and we wanted to accommodate everyone. I think typically people do 8-12 settings.
    Posted by ECook25[/QUOTE]

<div>This does not make sense to me. Not that 10 plates is weird, but . . . do you only do dishes every 5 days? And you only eat dinner on plates and never breakfast?</div><div>
    </div>
  • We have registered for 8. If we get a lot after the shower and closer to the wedding date, we may add up to 4 more. I didn't want to register for an extremely large number up front, as there are other items on my registry I am hoping for more than the place settings. That said, I'm almost definitely over thinking it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ECook25ECook25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_how-many-settings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:e6d2bb9a-38ae-48d0-b6c8-f09348001688Post:135530a2-8ecf-4fdd-9ba5-aa32841d9656">Re: How many settings?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many settings? : This does not make sense to me. Not that 10 plates is weird, but . . . do you only do dishes every 5 days? And you only eat dinner on plates and never breakfast?
    Posted by angryangry[/QUOTE]

Not sure what is so confusing about 10 vs. 8 or 12. We usually eat breakfast on salad/smaller plates or use cereal bowls (both of which were included among the 10 place settings) and dinner on dinner plates. And I run the dishwasher when it is full, which averages about once every 5 days.
  • Holy moly, I was going to say that we registered for 6 sets of nice dinnerware, but now I'm thinking that's not enough!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We got 8 casual and 12 formal.  Our casual and formal can kinda mix and match, so if one dish from the china breaks, we won't have one random paper plate on the Thanksgiving table (wow, I just gave myself a funny image there).

Someone I know registered for one extra setting of each, just in case there was a piece that broke.  I don't know if I'd do this myself, but it's not a terrible idea, either.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards