Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Gift Card Registry--Help!!!

So I was reading the posts about how rude it was too ask for money. I really didn't want to ask for money, but I wanted to ask for gift cards as a gift. But I know gift cards are looked at as a form of cash. I just wanted to know your thoughts. I'm finishing up my website before I send my Save the Dates and I was trying to see what to say for the "Registries" part.
Basically, I was wondering if it would be wrong to let guests know  of the many shops and restaurants we would like gift cards too. Basically give them a variety. Let me know your thoughts please!!

Re: Gift Card Registry--Help!!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That's still asking for cash. Even if you make a registry, people are going to give cash. Use that towards whatever you like.

Now, if someone asks, say, your mother where you are registered, she can pass along helpful information like "Darling daughter and FI aren't registered (or have a small registry at ___), but I know they love such-and-such restaurant if you want an idea".  Let that kind of information spread via word of mouth. (Same as if you were saving up for a house- "They aren't registered, but I hear they're saving up for a house".)

EDIT: Reading that back I'm not sure I would be comfortable with passing on gift card suggestions, but then again I would love to be able to give a couple a "date night" as a gift, so who knows.
  • Options
    Do not ask for gift cards. It is the same as asking for cash. Register for a small number of items. People will take the hint and you may get some money.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Asking for GCs is the same as asking for cash and both are rude.  You will more than likely get cash gifts without asking for them and you can use that money for your shops and restaurant outings.
  • Options
    I wouldn't ask for gift cards any more than I would ask for cash.

I'd just create a small registry at places you like - people will take the hint and give you cash (and who doesn't want cash, really?) or gift cards to the places you registered at.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I think the most you can do is create a registry and check the box "This couple would also accept gift cards."  Anything more than that is really rude and still basically asking for cash which is a big no-no.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • Options
    Well, this is also one of the way of asking cash from the guests.......And you are not suppose to ask them to give you gifts or cash......Putting items in the gift registry is also a way to know the guests (who wants to buy something) that they can choose anything from the items so that it would be comfortable for you to decide what to buy for you....It is just for the guidance of the guests......

If you want gift cards I guess it would be better to make a small registry at one place and guests who wants to give you something else would ask from your family and let you mother inform that you have almost everything and it would be nice if they give gift cards....Few guests would prefer to give you cash......
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards