Registry and Gift Forum

practical (but selfish) question

2»

Re: practical (but selfish) question

• a lot of girls are saying to go to BB&B for china... when I was in the store they only had casual china, not fine china. Am I missing something? Or do people usually buy casual china instead of fine china now? Because the only place that had fine china in my area was Macy's...
  • Even if it is more expensive at Macy's, they run sales constantly as well as promote a lot of coupons.  I am getting "my" china pattern this way as well (I was kind of in the same boat with a complicated situation with my china pattern but I didn't want to conpromise for one I didn't like as much).  Family members were able to get my china for me from Macy's without having to pay the full retail price.

• I planned on registering at Macy's, but ran into the same problem and now my entire registry is at BB&B, except a few things at REI and on Amazon.com.
    I just decided I didn't want my friends & family to look at my registry and feel like they would be burdened getting me all the expensive things I lust after :)

PLUS, BB&B had a China pattern that I ended up LOVING way more than the one I liked at Macy's... and their pricing on flatware is no comparison, AND they have better selection.Cool
  • Maybe when you send your shower card you say something to the effect of: "The bride and groom are registered at Macy's, BBB, and Target. Their fine china pattern is Bluefield X032 which is available at Macy's and Amazon." That would say what your pattern is and let guests know that they can find it on Amazon if they want to go get it there. I mean... I know you want china, but if I was your wedding guest and I thought everything on your registry was too expensive for me, I'd just give you a gift card or cash for the amount that I'm comfortable spending. Not everyone thinks that way, but if enough people do then you could go get the rest of the china yourself after the wedding. And everyone keeps telling me that a number of people just give cash at weddings, and you could do whatever you wanted to with that.
  • You're not selfish at all. In fact wanting to offer your guests the option for a lower price is the opposite of selfish.  Macy's does have a sale cycle, so I agree with the other ladies, just go with them and worry about something else now lol.
  • I dunne how extensively you have filled your registry as of yet, but Amazon also has a Universal Wedding Registry.  You can shop anywhere online and save it to there.  You put a button on your browser and list items as you shio online.  So ppl can shop in store or online as items are available.  So you can have items from different stores, including Amazon and Macy available in the same place.  Just an idea for you that I haven's seen posted here.  Congrats!!
  • Have you looked at Bed Bath and Beyond? I work there and I know that we carry a lot of name brand patterns at a lower price than other stores
  • I say register for it at Macy's.If you do end up getting it as a present, exchange it at Macy's for a store credit and get something else that you want or need. Purchase the same item on Amazon yourself and still tell people that the original guest gave it to you as the present. No one will ever know and everyone is happy.
  • have it at macys, there are ALWAYS coupons and sales that go on that make the china 1/2 off... or if you buy two place settings you get one free.

Mine is from macys and its lenox. My mom keeps me filled in on all of the sales, so in case we dont get it all, we know its not going to cost us an arm and a leg to go get it.
  • Follow up on BB&B question from above - they only have select stores that carry the fine china/crystal et al, but it is available on line as well as at the store - anyone can order off a BB&B registry whether or no that particualr store carries the china or not.  They will just have it shipfrom a store that does.

Regarding the comment wondering why she wants china (selfish)?  Everyone is different - I formally entertain and this would be something used constantly, hence the reason I have it listed.  Its a registry, don't point fingers - you may have something on yours that someone else would think is ridiculous/selfish.  Moreover, if someone doesnt want to by the couple china, I am sure there are other items that can be picked or they could select a gift card or give something else.
  • This is awful, but you asked.

I think you should register with macy's and return what you get to buy what you want on Amazon. That way you still got the same 2 place settings from aunt marcia but you also got some more money to spend on other things you might need. Especially since lots of people for weddings do their shopping in the stores.

Like I said, awful, but helps you out in the long run.
  • Sandra and saffronbeth both had awesome ideas!
  • My fiance and I registered at both Willams and Sonoma and Amazon for some "big ticket' items that both our families have, and heck, we want them too!

Our strategy was to find the deals on Amazon, just to give the people we know will spend more the option to spend less. 

In the end though, most wedding guests are not as concerned with price, more concerned with making sure they get the couple what they want.

I think Macy's is a classic choice, don't fret over the dollars and cents of china. You're getting married!! There will be bigger fish to fry. 

Also, please take into consideration that if every single decision is for your guests comfort, you may not get the results you want. 

I hope you get the china! I am excited to hear the results.

Ms. becomes a Mrs. on April 2nd, 2011 in MAUI!
  • Register for what you LOVE! Macys always has sales where the prices almost $60 a place setting and they have sales on top of the price fall where if you buy 3 settings you get one free. Check out Bed Bath and Beyond as well. Their everyday prices are Macys sale prices plus they let you use a 20% off coupon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards